• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Shute Shield is not an ideal platform for growth, but at least it is on FTA, and also Foxtel. That says something.

It does have traditional rivalries, all the clubs have distinct and interesting personalities, and Sydney is still the most important rugby centre in the nation, like it or not.

As to just how it can be transformed and built into something bigger and better, well that is a very difficult subject.

I will fall back on my belief that the only way forward is for us to accept the idea of giving all the power and responsibility to create change to an Executive Chairman.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Shute Shield is not an ideal platform for growth, but at least it is on FTA, and also Foxtel. That says something.

It does have traditional rivalries, all the clubs have distinct and interesting personalities, and Sydney is still the most important rugby centre in the nation, like it or not.

As to just how it can be transformed and built into something bigger and better, well that is a very difficult subject.

I will fall back on my belief that the only way forward is for us to accept the idea of giving all the power and responsibility to create change to an Executive Chairman.

Well, let's look at the two biggest football codes in the country. I think that's all I need to prove that the model I suggested actually has worked. Twice.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well, let's look at the two biggest football codes in the country. I think that's all I need to prove that the model I suggested actually has worked. Twice.

No it doesn't. It just proves that both those codes were able to build on existing success. They were both, more or less, already very popular, with the two central competitions on FTA in prime time, with much bigger attendances than anything that we have got, in league's case, backing from big licensed clubs, in the case of the VFL, huge membership bases.

Some of us have wrestled with the inherent problem of what happens to the clubs that are not selected to be in the national competition. I must admit that I have had enough of discussing that, it is insoluble, which is why I have skipped forward to the only possible way forward, putting a dictator in charge (an Executive Chairman). Let him, (or her), make the tough decisions. The chosen clubs will be happy, the clubs which are left out and their supporters will be very, very cranky.

Give us a little bit of detail, please, I would be fascinated to hear how you would solve this intractable problem?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No it doesn't. It just proves that both those codes were able to build on existing success. They were both, more or less, already very popular, with the two central competitions on FTA in prime time, with much bigger attendances than anything that we have got, in league's case, backing from big licensed clubs, in the case of the VFL, huge membership bases.

Some of us have wrestled with the inherent problem of what happens to the clubs that are not selected to be in the national competition. I must admit that I have had enough of discussing that, it is insoluble, which is why I have skipped forward to the only possible way forward, putting a dictator in charge (an Executive Chairman). Let him, (or her), make the tough decisions. The chosen clubs will be happy, the clubs which are left out and their supporters will be very, very cranky.

Give us a little bit of detail, please, I would be fascinated to hear how you would solve this intractable problem?
You mean someone like Peter Beatty?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On another note, some nice things said about and between gordon & Penrith in Colts on Facebook but I gather grade at Chatswood was a different kettle of fish.
Two reds in 1st grade which was called early, uncontested scrums in 2s for the duration.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Talking about Ch 7, anyone know where to find replay? As when I go to the 7 Plus website only first round replay is there.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Talking about Ch 7, anyone know where to find replay? As when I go to the 7 Plus website only first round replay is there.

They didn't do a game in round 2 due to the Commonwealth Games coverage so I assume round 3 will be up there shortly.
PS: Enter "Shute Shield" in the SEARCH field on the 7PLUS website to find it.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
They didn't do a game in round 2 due to the Commonwealth Games coverage so I assume round 3 will be up there shortly.
PS: Enter "Shute Shield" in the SEARCH field on the 7PLUS website to find it.
Yeah ok. I know to search for Shute Shield. Didn't know they didn't do a game last weekend, I hadn't watched any actual tv for some time now - missus has the Netflix craze.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Have you read my post? Because I'm not suggesting a cut of any kind. More an expansion. Perhaps some clubs may not be able to continue at that level for too long. They might need to bite the bullet and focus on competing at a more local level or look to join forces. Don't know until it happens.

Relative levels of success isn't as important considering I'm talking about a 3rd Tier structure and not the premiere professional level. It doesn't need to be like for like. Just offer the model that has proven successful in our market. I never actually said that it needed to be at the same level from the get go. Or ever. Just viable which both the NRL and AFL have proven to be so.

If they were able to get this up and running with the current FTA set up and streaming for the other games with 3,000+ people in attendance on average across the board that would be a resounding success at that level. Which is what I am suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.