• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rumors that the Norths v West game for next weekend scheduled for North Sydney Oval will now be the curtain raiser at Brookvale oval for the Waratahs v Blues game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Panda just dropped an article on Penrith getting the boot this week. Behind a paywall so I haven't read it.
Begg no comment, Hook describing it as a load of crock.
Unless NSWRU and/or RA are prepared to commit to building the game over 10/20 years in western Sydney there’s no future in the present arrangement.
It’s counter productive to be so uncompetitive for so long.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It’s counter productive to be so uncompetitive for so long.

I agree. And hopefully there are measures taken to improve whatever is wrong perhaps in time to put them back on the path for next year.

I'm not that close to the situation in Penrith, but the rumours are mainly around the back office setup. However, the expectation that they should just run like any other club might be unfounded. I remember our club explaining to Subbies that within five years of starting, we had signed over 200 players, only about 10% of whom were still at the club.

They were flummoxed. FLUMMOXED, I tell you.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So what about the players? I know one or two of our blokes went up there this year. Do they plan to come back to us? We might have room at this point and they've got talent, but there are rules around accepting them back into Subbies from Shute.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree. And hopefully there are measures taken to improve whatever is wrong perhaps in time to put them back on the path for next year.

I'm not that close to the situation in Penrith, but the rumours are mainly around the back office setup. However, the expectation that they should just run like any other club might be unfounded. I remember our club explaining to Subbies that within five years of starting, we had signed over 200 players, only about 10% of whom were still at the club.

They were flummoxed. FLUMMOXED, I tell you.
im not sure the back office at many clubs is all that well run, although this year I did actually receive my season tickets for the first time in about 3 years

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
So what about the players? I know one or two of our blokes went up there this year. Do they plan to come back to us? We might have room at this point and they've got talent, but there are rules around accepting them back into Subbies from Shute.

Surely it’d be in the same vein of the western force of, “all rules are out the window for this year and we resume business as normal next year”

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Surely it’d be in the same vein of the western force of, “all rules are out the window for this year and we resume business as normal next year”

I believe getting a dispensation would be pretty easy in this situation. Plus I just realised there is a loophole:

http://rugby.net.au/page/Code-of-Co...ement-Registration-Form-x-7159-132-15103.html

PLAYING HISTORY
2. Have you held a professional Rugby Union contract in 2016 or 2017? Yes / No
If yes, you must apply to NSW Suburban Rugby for permission to register
3. Did you play in the Australian National Rugby Championship in 2016? Yes / No
4. Have you played in the Shute Shield (1st Grade) in 2016 or 2017? Yes / No

All the questions relate to 2016 or 2017, so we're in the clear! ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Late Saturday night so forgive the grammar....under the current structure, why the F$&k would they. At the moment, any relationship requires Forest give up their players, or vice versa. Or, with all due respect, why would Forest bend over backward to take Manly 4th graders?

This is my point, the competitions are identical in structure, albeit not the same quality. So many comments attribute past attitudes to proposed futures. How Forest react under current structures to how they would react when circumstances are completely different is reductive to the point of redundancy.

If Forest got to retain their star players not regularly picked for Manly 1st grade, more to the point, got to keep them registered, how different would the attitude be. But history shows under completely different circumstances they are unreasonable, so let's not bother..,.,and you wonder why there's a disconnect between SS and the rest of the rugby community.

As I've mentioned, the attitude is SS is going ok so F*$k the rest of you.

Say you don't give a shit about the game; say you don't care if rugby dies in Australia. But please stop pretending you care when right in front of you is the means to fix the problem, at minimal, to none, financial cost, but you won't countenance any change whatsoever.

Apologies again for the late night spellcheck. Bundy & coke please.

You're entitled to your opinions and I'm entitled to have an alternate view, but please don't give me the moral high horse stuff.

I had you pegged as a rational, reasonable poster until this effort. You seem to have a view that one part of the game is to blame for all the ills going on around it. Again, you are entitled to this view, I just happen to disagree. In my experience - and I've played and coached with subbies clubs as well as played and coached with Manly, so I have some idea of what goes on both spaces.

From my observations all parts of the game like their autonomy, we're dealing with people who in many cases have spent decades working their arses off for their particular subbies or grade club and you want to come in and tell them that you have the masterplan to fix it all, but they have to agree just because you say it's right - without any evidence of how or why it would work, without considering how it would impact anyone. Just because you think it's so, then everyone who doesn't fall into line doesn't care or has some improper motive.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You're entitled to your opinions and I'm entitled to have an alternate view, but please don't give me the moral high horse stuff.

I had you pegged as a rational, reasonable poster until this effort. You seem to have a view that one part of the game is to blame for all the ills going on around it. Again, you are entitled to this view, I just happen to disagree. In my experience - and I've played and coached with subbies clubs as well as played and coached with Manly, so I have some idea of what goes on both spaces.

From my observations all parts of the game like their autonomy, we're dealing with people who in many cases have spent decades working their arses off for their particular subbies or grade club and you want to come in and tell them that you have the masterplan to fix it all, but they have to agree just because you say it's right - without any evidence of how or why it would work, without considering how it would impact anyone. Just because you think it's so, then everyone who doesn't fall into line doesn't care or has some improper motive.
The irrationality of the game’s structure in Sydney is just another example of the failure of leadership from the people who are actually paid to foster the game in this country.
It’s probably no coincidence that there is not and never has been in my lifetime a shore old boys subby club.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The irrationality of the game’s structure in Sydney is just another example of the failure of leadership from the people who are actually paid to foster the game in this country.
It’s probably no coincidence that there is not and never has been in my lifetime a shore old boys subby club.
Why? Because they are all involved in higher duties?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

That's a pretty ludicrous argument.

I'm fairly sure my dad played for Shore Old Boys back in the 70s. And if you know Subbies and how to read team sheets, it's patently obvious that Shore Old Boys is now Mosman.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's a pretty ludicrous argument.

I'm fairly sure my dad played for Shore Old Boys back in the 70s. And if you know Subbies and how to read team sheets, it's patently obvious that Shore Old Boys is now Mosman.
I was around in the 70s and never saw them.
Its not an argument.
And that is the whole problem in once sentence, having regard to the issues being discussed.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I was around in the 70s and never saw them.
Its not an argument.
And that is the whole problem in once sentence, having regard to the issues being discussed.

How? A large % of ex-Shore students live in and around Mosman. There is also a rugby club in Mosman. Why do you need an Old Boys club when you have such a neat geographic solution?

There's no Joeys Old Boys either. Are they also on the teat?

Status
Not open for further replies.