• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH,

I lived and worked with zillions of Chinese people in Hong Kong, also in Thailand, over many years. I have not fallen for any stereotype. I think I have a fair understanding of what makes them tick.

You can always find exceptions to any rule, or any piece of conventional wisdom. I await with great interest the appearance of hordes of kids of Chinese descent into our sport. Nothing stopping them, is there?

I cannot say that I have any particular knowledge of South Asian cultures, other than that cricket and hockey seem to be the main sports.

The facts speak for themselves.

But in Australia, people from all sorts of backgrounds play sports that they wouldn't had their parents/grandparents stayed in their former homeland. Every Saturday I watch Newington rugby teams running around with kids from Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Greek, Italian, Arabic and other backgrounds playing rugby. (inclduing A teams I might add) They play because their mates play and the school environment is a place where they are encouraged to participate.

They aren't exceptions, they are a minority, simply because there is no traditional connection to rugby. Doesn't mean they don't want to or can't - maybe they need some encouragement?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I never understood the expression “delicious irony”.
Until today.
“Kurtley Beale’s sudden and unexpected defection from Randwick to Eastern Suburbs ignited a war of words between the star Wallaby and club president Bob Dwyer, particularly over the issue of him allegedly asking for a free car before signing with cross-town rivals.”
I can taste it.
Is it the fact he asked?
Is it the car? Rather than a home unit, as Catchpole was reputedly given.
“Our club competition and clubs have a culture where we help one another. If a player wants to leave and was talking to the other club, they would ring us as say he’s talking to us. Maybe [Easts president] John Murray hasn’t been a part of the game for long enough to understand it.”
Dwyer is not only a hypocrite he’s shown a distinct lack of class in having a dig at Murray. New blood in administration is essential for this game to pull out of the nose dive it is in, so giving a backhander to a bloke who got a FTA broadcast up in short order when the ABC walked is just a further indication of the desire of the rugby ruling class to maintain their grip on the controls, at the expense of the game.
He needs to have a long hard look at his club’s colts recruiting recently when he has a go at KB (Kurtley Beale) for being greedy, and if he thinks there is a culture of helping one another he might want to explain his conversations with fringe wallabies in the 80 and 90s where he told them their chances of more regular selection would be improved by moving from north’s to Randwick.
Beale’s first Shute shield club was north’s - why didnt Dwyer (not as el presidente but in the spirit of helping norths and rugby out) tell him to stay there?
And what’s with the we’ve helped indigenous people: they sure as shit have helped Randwick. That’s a low blow.
He’s getting on, maybe he’s losing his marbles.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does the inclusion of the word "allegedly" in this news report mean anything?

At least we got a bit of publicity, I suppose. Better to see an Easts rugby jersey on the back page of the Hurled than something from the NRL or AFL.

I wonder how many people actually give a hoot about this sort of fantasy? The notion that any SS club would be able to arrange the loan of a new Landrover for a marquee player who will not actually play for them is bizarre.

Did Catchy really get a home unit? Is there any proof? Who paid for it?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Does the inclusion of the word "allegedly" in this news report mean anything?

At least we got a bit of publicity, I suppose. Better to see an Easts rugby jersey on the back page of the Hurled than something from the NRL or AFL.

I wonder how many people actually give a hoot about this sort of fantasy? The notion that any SS club would be able to arrange the loan of a new Landrover for a marquee player who will not actually play for them is bizarre.

Did Catchy really get a home unit? Is there any proof? Who paid for it?
Don’t be so sure, wamberal.
Easts are sponsored by Sydney bmw and Pauli drives a liveried bmw......and before that an Audi, when Audi Sydney was the sponsor.
As fras I know Land Rover have nothing to do with easts but they are a sponsor of rugby.bmw owned them for a while.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am "not so sure". Either way. I just asked a question.

It still seems extremely unlikely to me. What on earth would be in it for BMW, Landrover, or anybody else for that matter?

If he got a car as part of his Wallaby status, that would be understandable. Just. But to put an Easts' jersey on?

Why would it happen? What is in it for the sponsor?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don’t be so sure, wamberal.
Easts are sponsored by Sydney bmw and Pauli drives a liveried bmw..and before that an Audi, when Audi Sydney was the sponsor.
As fras I know Land Rover have nothing to do with easts but they are a sponsor of rugby.bmw owned them for a while.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the Land Rover came from. It wasn't Easts.

The timing of when Beale started driving the Land Rover corresponded very closely with a certain star player's image going to hell.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the Land Rover came from. It wasn't Easts.

The timing of when Beale started driving the Land Rover corresponded very closely with a certain star player's image going to hell.

Well, I am not a rocket scientist, but spell it out for me anyway.

Is this a story about Easts arranging for Beale to get a Landrover if he played for them?

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I think this is a story about Dwyer getting his panties in a twist. The Moaning Herald contacted KB (Kurtley Beale) and he said that the allegations were rubbish, seems to be getting to a "he said, he said" type argument.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure whether Bob Dwer is be suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome, or whether he's imitating grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds.

It's no good lashing out about which jumper KB (Kurtley Beale) wears in a publicity shoot,he can't do one thing to improve the Wicks Prospects this year,which are dire.

The model of racking up premierships by poaching Wallabies was destroyed by professionalism, the wicks have pretty much been poo ever since.
I'm actually surprised he's not belly aching about not getting transfer fees for all the Oz Schoolboys they poached who are now on professional contracts.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think this is a story about Dwyer getting his panties in a twist. The Moaning Herald contacted KB (Kurtley Beale) and he said that the allegations were rubbish, seems to be getting to a "he said, he said" type argument.
Except the best bits of Dwyer’s hissy fit are one sided, coming from him asserting some code , the existence of which is belied by about 40 years of the wicks controlling oz rugby.
Don’t forget where the current wallabies coach sent players when he was coaching the tahs: a recruiting model he learned from Dwyer.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Dwyer has got a very short memory
Randwick snapped up Simon Poidevin (UNSW) with plenty of promises and incentives as well in the early 80s
II'll bet Dwyer didn't contact the UNSW President to say that we are taking your best player so that you guys can remain in 2nd Division Rugby.
Don't start me on the Randwick Colts pilfering and what ever happened to that famous Rugby Club staright across the Road from Coogee Oval - surely some shenanigans went on there
Dwyer may have coached the Wallabies but look at the calibre of players he had at the time for Randwick - including a few young Ella Bros.
Time to hand the reins over to someone younger Bob I reckon

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
On balance, Randwick have probably been a net benefit to the game here. They were the club that introduced running rugby. Cyril Towers was a visionary.

When I was a kid they were the team that I loved to watch the most. Even when the Woodies were getting reamed by them.

There was an unspoken rule. No kicking. Those were great days.

But yes, in more recent years they seem to have exercised just too much influence at the selection table.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On balance, Randwick have probably been a net benefit to the game here. They were the club that introduced running rugby. Cyril Towers was a visionary.

When I was a kid they were the team that I loved to watch the most. Even when the Woodies were getting reamed by them.

But yes, in more recent years they seem to have exercised just too much influence at the selection table.
Cyril Towers acquired the theory of running rugby from Johnny Wallace while sitting on the sidelines of the Waratahs tour of 1927/28.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

Love seeing all the parochialism and hypocricy - it least people care about these clubs.
Dont think Wicks were poo recently as a previous poster said - they are struggling this year no argument there.
BTW - the no kicking rule is actually in a document that players sign.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He and Wally Meagher implemented the theory. That counts.

Not quite, because Wallace implemented it as captain of the 27/28 Tahs when Towers got limited game time.
As usual, the credit has been appropriated by Randwick instead of being given to its rightful recipient.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The credit goes to Randwick for implementing it. Give Cyril his due, he lived and breathed this style of back-play. Randwick adopted it, and thank goodness they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.