• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I really don't care what jumper KB (Kurtley Beale) wears.
He's played about 3 games for Randwick and I doubt he'll play any for Easts so what's the issue?
Love seeing all the conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodwork again -- thought they'd all died off.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Land Rover takes back Israel Folau’s new car after gay backlash
JAMIE PANDARAM, The Daily Telegraph
May 17, 2018 7:47pm

ISRAEL Folau has had his sponsored car confiscated by Land Rover following his controversial comments regarding the gay community.

The luxury car company, which signed an $850,000-a-year deal with Rugby Australia in February replacing BMW as the Wallabies’ car sponsor, had given Folau a brand-new car.

But after Folau wrote on Instagram that gays were destined for hell, Land Rover repossessed the car.
Israel Folau has been widely condemned for his controversial comments.

Land Rover said Folau was never an official ambassador.

However, the Daily Telegraph has confirmed through other sources that they did indeed take back a car given to Folau.

Folau posted the remark on Monday, April 2, after which Land Rover said his views did not align with theirs.

By Monday, April 9, they’d repossessed his vehicle.

With great love i wanted to share this video in the hope that people watch it and think about it. Jesus is coming back soon and he wants us to turn to him through repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38) please don't harden your heart https://t.co/PtDoPCQDco
— Israel Folau (@IzzyFolau) May 7, 2018

The Lord is giving you time to come to him whilst you're still alive. He stands and waits

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance pic.twitter.com/jHMFADOKTT
— Israel Folau (@IzzyFolau) May 14, 2018

Looking forward to being part of the #LandRoverRugby family. @LandRoverAus pic.twitter.com/WEh3jw4b1q
— Kurtley Beale (@kurtley_beale) April 22, 2018

But Folau still gets around in style in his $500,000 Lamborghini, purchased with his own money last year.

Land Rover’s withdrawal of the car is the first financial hit Folau has taken for his fundamental Christian stance.

The 29-year-old Wallabies and Waratahs fullback followed up his initial comment with a video on Twitter warning that tolerance of homosexuality would be punished by God, but Rugby Australia has not sanctioned him due to the complex moral issues around free speech.

While RA disagrees with Folau, chief executive Raelene Castle said they also must respect his right to express his religious beliefs, adding that penalising him would alienate a large section of their Christian supporter base.

SUPPORT: Cheika stands by Israel Folau

Meanwhile, Wallabies coach Michael Cheika gave a strong indication yesterday that Folau would refrain from posting further inflammatory content for the sake of his teammates as they prepare for the three-Test June series against Ireland.

“What’s happened has happened, it’s been dealt with now and it’s not going to be ongoing, so it’s not going to be an issue,” Cheika told Macquarie Sports Radio.

“There’s been a lot of conjecture on this on this from all different sides, left wing, right wing and all that type of stuff. But we need to be focusing on the footy, and getting ourselves clear on a big series against the northern hemisphere champions.

“I’m going to be reminding guys what the team is about, what it means to be part of the team and then guys make their decisions from there.

“He understands that he doesn’t want to affect the team around those sort of things. And like I said, if it’s not ongoing then it’s not going to be an issue.”

“Izzy wants to be part of the team, not just now but in the future as well. Some people think he’s using it as some kind of tactic to get out of playing but if he wanted to go, he could go easily. He wants to play rugby.”

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fair enough, although some of those luxury items might be a bit harder to come by with sponsors not wanting anything to do with him............

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So Cheika has silenced him?
Or he’s feeling the pinch? Frankly, unless he had a fuel sponsor the Land Rover would be a net loss.
The Lord is giving you time to come to him whilst you're still alive. He stands and waits

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance pic.twitter.com/jHMFADOKTT
— Israel Folau (@IzzyFolau) May 14, 2018

But Folau still gets around in style in his $500,000 Lamborghini, purchased with his own money last year.

SUPPORT: Cheika stands by Israel Folau

Meanwhile, Wallabies coach Michael Cheika gave a strong indication yesterday that Folau would refrain from posting further inflammatory content for the sake of his teammates as they prepare for the three-Test June series against Ireland.

“What’s happened has happened, it’s been dealt with now and it’s not going to be ongoing, so it’s not going to be an issue,” Cheika told Macquarie Sports Radio.

“There’s been a lot of conjecture on this on this from all different sides, left wing, right wing and all that type of stuff. But we need to be focusing on the footy, and getting ourselves clear on a big series against the northern hemisphere champions.

“I’m going to be reminding guys what the team is about, what it means to be part of the team and then guys make their decisions from there.

“He understands that he doesn’t want to affect the team around those sort of things. And like I said, if it’s not ongoing then it’s not going to be an issue.”

“Izzy wants to be part of the team, not just now but in the future as well. Some people think he’s using it as some kind of tactic to get out of playing but if he wanted to go, he could go easily. He wants to play rugby.”

So this standing and waiting idea - is that what Nathan Grey bases his defensive patterns on?
As for the lambo:
“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.” (1 John 2 15-17)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Fair enough, although some of those luxury items might be a bit harder to come by with sponsors not wanting anything to do with him....

Sounds like he's going ok if he can afford to buy a Lambourghini for $500,000.

It wouldn't surprise me if he found driving the Land Rover around to be a gruesome sponsorship-pleasing chore if he has a Lambo in the garage.

I assume that Land Rover have also withdrawn their product from countries which punish homosexuality with the death penalty as part of this project?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am still not joining the dots.

Izzy looses his Land rover.

Kurtly changes clubs.

Kurtly gets the Land rover.

Not sure how the change of clubs is anyway related to the story.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I assume that Land Rover have also withdrawn their product from countries which punish homosexuality with the death penalty as part of this project?

I assume that Landrover Australia doesn’t get to engage in such whataboutery.........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sounds like he's going ok if he can afford to buy a Lambourghini for $500,000.

It wouldn't surprise me if he found driving the Land Rover around to be a gruesome sponsorship-pleasing chore if he has a Lambo in the garage.

no more hypocritical than him, but they didn’t start this dark ages stoush.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I'm not defending him, I'm attacking them. It's possible for them both to be wrong. If they don't want their business associated with anti-homosexual views then how can they do business in countries where it's against the law?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am still not joining the dots.

Izzy looses his Land rover.

Kurtly changes clubs.

Kurtly gets the Land rover.

Not sure how the change of clubs is anyway related to the story.

I assume that Kurtly already has a car, so I hardly think he'd move clubs on the basis of something he probably neither needs nor wants.

How these things tend to work is that the company provides their vehicles to the organisation and it's generally the company which decides which players they want driving around in their cars. I assume that Land Rover would have nominated Folau because they wanted to be associated with him - it's perfectly open to them to rethink that if they later decide that they don't want to be associated with him.

So Kurtly now has an obligation to drive around in a car that he doesn't want to satisfy as sponsor.

Where the problem arises for me is that they're hunting small game with their moral rectitude. If they really felt morally compelled not to have their brand associated with anti-homosexual views, then they could hardly with any conscience do business in places where homosexuality is against the law and punishable by imprisonment or the death penalty.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
lamboizzy_zpsa92mjtf0.jpg

S

sidelineview

Neither did Folau or his mob or the Australian public or NO voters. It runs a bit deeper than that.
Imperfection affects everyone, including Christians; in fact the humble acceptance of being a flawed human being is a foundation stone of the faith.
Of all the dominant religions and/or political ideologies in the world today, I'll take Christianity every day of the week thanks.
In fact, if it crumbles, we're in real trouble.
Sort of like the Devil you know for some ....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Folau, mate, get his name right.

Meanwhile, back in the SS, there are some great contests this weekend. Can we talk about them puhlease. I am about Folau and Bealed right out.

S

sidelineview

Folau, mate, get his name right.

Meanwhile, back in the SS, there are some great contests this weekend. Can we talk about them puhlease. I am about Folau and Bealed right out.

Corrected. Thnx teacher.
I hope thats the biggest mistake i make today.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Games this week - starting with the big one - a crowd of 7-8 thousand expected.

rsz_manly_oval_by_adam_macdonald1.jpg

Manly to beat Warringah by less than 10
Uni to beat Easts by 2 tries or more
Wests in a nailbiter to beat Eastwood
Norths to beat a brave Parra by 20
Souths to beat Gordon by 20 or more

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
well they’ve conned you, wamberal, and most of aus rugby - but not Peter Fenton

Yep, I am a dill, and you know everything.

Once upon a time I used to think that the great thing about rugby was the people who played it and supported it. A brief look around some of the opinions on display and personal insults sprayed around on this forum makes me think that those days have gone. No wonder the game is struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.