• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am hearing that there was a boardroom coup at their AGM that lead to an old President retaking over. This saw the 1st grade coach (Huxley). GM, colts coordinator plus most of their 1st grade players and colts all either being sacked or walking away.

Expect Penrith removal from Shute Shield for 2018 to be made official in next few weeks.

A team in this part of the world is probably pretty important to the medium term prospects for rugby in this country. That would seemingly make it either a NSWRU or RA issue. To my fairly casual observation the Shute Shield has kept faith with the Emus over many years during which doing so has probably been contrary to the individual SS clubs interests, both on and off the field.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A team in this part of the world is probably pretty important to the medium term prospects for rugby in this country. That would seemingly make it either a NSWRU or RA issue. To my fairly casual observation the Shute Shield has kept faith with the Emus over many years during which doing so has probably been contrary to the individual SS clubs interests, both on and off the field.

But do the NSWRU or RA have any direct governance over the Shute Shield? I can't keep up with the political flow chart these days.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But do the NSWRU or RA have any direct governance over the Shute Shield? I can't keep up with the political flow chart these days.
I’m with you.
I think the answer is no.
My hope is that the disenfranchising half of Sydney will blow a serious hole in their diversity rhetoric (women, schools, 7s etc) and require them to actually work out where they’re going to get diversity from. My answer is “the grass roots” - where everything came from.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dear oh bloody dear. Those grass roots again.

This is a circular argument. If there are grass roots, that's great, they will grow into errrrr grass.

Apparently there is not much grass in Penrith. And I am not being flippant. I have said it before, and will keep saying it, we are still an amateur game at heart (meaning, if you do not love it, you will not watch it or play it, and if you do love it, you will support it, in the true spirit of amateurism).

The NRL grew hugely on the back of poker machine money, back in the days when we were truly amateur, and when we lost several Wallabies every year to professionalism. And one of the hugest poker machine operators of them all is at, wait for it, Pen-bloody-rith.

The huge poker machine boom is when they built their momentum, that is when they established their hegemony.

We are a piddling little domestic sport. Maybe we should piddle a bit more on our grass roots, try to grow them. If the grass roots do not grow because of a lack of local piddle, then that is sad.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)

This is a circular argument. If there are grass roots, that's great, they will grow into errrrr grass.

Apparently there is not much grass in Penrith. And I am not being flippant. I have said it before, and will keep saying it, we are still an amateur game at heart (meaning, if you do not love it, you will not watch it or play it, and if you do love it, you will support it, in the true spirit of amateurism).

The NRL grew hugely on the back of poker machine money, back in the days when we were truly amateur, and when we lost several Wallabies every year to professionalism. And one of the hugest poker machine operators of them all is at, wait for it, Pen-bloody-rith.

The huge poker machine boom is when they built their momentum, that is when they established their hegemony.

We are a piddling little domestic sport. Maybe we should piddle a bit more on our grass roots, try to grow them. If the grass roots do not grow because of a lack of local piddle, then that is sad.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)

I can confirm your information in right. The ex president jim hook demanded the money he owed be repayed and it couldnt so the board quit because they would all have been liable for the debt.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

There's more than one type of grass and with Khunt's latest carry on we can see the perennial infestation of the couch grass with kikuyu - a major issue for any golf course even at Wamberal. If no grass then we get weeds. As for pointing to the Panthers pokies - the Panthers have hardly lived up to their promise in the 40+ years of their existence and most recently have decidedly failed to do so. Most of the then rugby clubs - including The Rugby Club - had plenty of pokies. Pokies not = success.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Not sure what Panthers money is like but surely they could warehouse a few Leaguies to play Union for the Emu's and then bring them back across to Panthers if and when as needed. Let's be honest, in the modern games - aside from the tight 5 - skill sets are much closer than they used to be.

It would raise the profile of Rugby in the west and the cross-pollination of skills would make it a 7's factory. In turn attracting more players and potential AOC money.

Pipe dream thinking I know, but better than watching it die out west.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pipe dream thinking I know, but better than watching it die out west.

Worse than pipe dreaming - I am worried about what you're putting in your pipe. The Panthers position is very poor: coaching upheavals, Gus Gould, player unhappiness, Gus Gould. They're not going to be helping anyone but themselves for the foreseeable future. Siege mentality will prevail.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
SO Sydney now officially ends at Victoria Rd in the Rugby map. There is no good in this at all.
PS - with due respect to Subbies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is a circular argument. The game will thrive in areas where there are supporters of the game. Elsewhere it will either struggle, or fail to live.

Given that like the vast majority of enterprises our money is iimited, where should it be spent? Where the game is doing okay, to help it do better? Or where it is not okay, in the hope that it can be grown.

It is just a question of economic choices, frankly, nothing about bigotry, or favouritism, or where roads start and end.

Status
Not open for further replies.