• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sorry to have to disagree, but in my humble opinion Growfat was a total waste of space. The SMH has had some wonderful rugby journalists over the years, and he was at the very bottom of the list.

When the bored's whingers and whiners are looking around for targets who have contributed to the demise of the game, he should still be up near the top of the list. The damage he has caused lives on, in infamy.
Damage he caused?
He was a poor gossip columnist that reported cryptic misdeeds by un named people.
His actions didn't stop anyone from attending a game,buying merchandise, or registering to play.
the right targets are easy to spot for everyone else, which is pretty much anyone who's featured on an org chart at fort fumble in the past decade.

bigtoughguy

Stan Wickham (3)
I thought he was a journalist, and having shared many an ale with him at the Newport Arms one night, a fairly decent bloke.
Quick one, how many clubs have foundations to fund their clubs? Do any clubs have the backing of pokies anymore?
Eastwood to win the comp for mine!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eastwood was bailed out by North Ryde RSL Club about 15 years ago, they were in the red to the tune of a few hundred thousand, apparently.

Everybody is a good bloke after many ales at the Arms.

As for Growden and his mates, a fair few years ago I wrote a long and detailed letter outlining my concerns as a long term SMH reader about his obviousl shortcomings. I got back a short and dismissive response from the "Acting Sports Editor", to the effect that they were not interested in this sort of feedback. You could almost hear the schoolboy chortles as the response was being typed.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Penrith Facebook page saying still in and "business as usual" hmmmm I'd rather not to be "as usual" and see some improvements

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Apparently the Emus are to put their case for inclusion to the other clubs , but since the method for allocation of points from the Emus lost rounds has been decided upon they’ll need to pull some form of introduced species out of a hat to survive.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Apparently the Emus are to put their case for inclusion to the other clubs , but since the method for allocation of points from the Emus lost rounds has been decided upon they’ll need to pull some form of introduced species out of a hat to survive.

So their fate is reliant upon the other clubs either sharing in the vision of growing the game in the west or self interest? History would suggest the Emus are in the cross hairs if that is the case.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So their fate is reliant upon the other clubs either sharing in the vision of growing the game in the west or self interest? History would suggest the Emus are in the cross hairs if that is the case.

I don't doubt it. It is naive, at best, to expect the clubs to ignore their own imperatives (i.e. survival!) when the bodies responsible for the health of the game generally do SFA at this level to promote the game's health. The clubs have a reasonable track record for looking after the interests of oz rugby. Making the emus viable should always have been a NSWRU/ARU job - from about 1980!!

T

TOCC

Penrith to remain in the comp, but some extremely worrying cracks there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm hearing that Robbie Coleman will be at 9 for Manly. Also hearing that Ed Gower has finally retired and Dennis has gone to Souths. He lives in the Shire. Also Alex Northam and possibly Mali Hingano are back on the scene. Manly have also recruited another centre as it looks as if Lalakai Foketi will be at Easts.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Randwick coach off to Norths? For full time work / $$$?
Wicks losing their club finally having an impact?

Think Randwick are in good shape as best I can tell. They have had record crowds at Coogee ( as have other SS Clubs at their home grounds) and had 7 teams in the finals last season. Think Fraser may have been let go as they didn't go further in the finals.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Wonder if the cutting of the Force is having a flow on effect into the SS. Have been surprised with the number of aspiring super players leaving. It may have nothing to do with it however just thinking...Sam Figg, Will Munro, Jake Wainright, Sam Needs, Tom Hill.....etc
One less team means a lot less opportunities so off they go.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Penrith to remain in the comp, but some extremely worrying cracks there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What are the ramifications when, mid season and the ‘Riff lads are back to playing 2 or 3 games each weekend to sustain the club. I don’t know a soul on this earth that likes getting done 100+ every weekend and usually 2 games or more.
What happens to these guys?
Do Parra/Woods/Wests snaffle them up?
They shouldn’t be lost to Rugby because their club is in a diabolical situation to say the least.
I genuinely feel for the ‘Riff, as so many people have stated, that they have oodles of talent out there, as does Campbelltown to help grow Rugby.

I just see that by July, a lot of young men with free time on their hands Saturday afternoons, even if they are playing for a stronger club, due to forfeit

T

TOCC

Rugby Australian should be targetted key regions throughout Australia where there is a large demographic of potential rugby players, but for whatever reason they aren't turning out at the local club.

I would have no issue, in fact i would actively support the ARU taking ownership of Penrith, putting a bit of money into coaching and management and pulling it out of the rut its in.

Logan in Brisbane seems to be in a similar predicament, for all reasons Logan should be flush with players, they were supposed to earn promotion to Premier Grade in 2018 but a few factors worked against them and they haven't been able to prove the player numbers justify their promotion.

Penrith and Logan should be targeted for interventionist support to ensure that rugby has a reasonable grassroots footprint in those growth corridors.

Status
Not open for further replies.