• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's great news. Let's hope they pick up a bit more local community support.
It's a battle.
How can they improve without community support, but how can the community become engaged with their current offering?
They need a circuit breaker to alter their current trajectory.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is no guarantee that any external assistance would work in the long term. Okay, the days of Peter Besseling et al are long ago, but nothing much of a lasting nature came out of those few years of a very strong Riff side.

It's a bit like a drunk trying to find his housekey, looking under the streetlight, because that is the only place that he can see anything. No streetlight - ie no existing community support - no key to a proper presence for the rugby club.

I know that sounds harsh, but for the life of me, I cannot see any other way of putting it. Even if we were rolling in dough, there is no guarantee that a rugby club can be built without community support.

Look at the Storm, they have been enormously successful by any measure, on the playing field, but apparently loig is just not taking off as a community sport in Victoria. An imposed solution just does not work.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There is no guarantee that any external assistance would work in the long term. Okay, the days of Peter Besseling et al are long ago, but nothing much of a lasting nature came out of those few years of a very strong Riff side.

It's a bit like a drunk trying to find his housekey, looking under the streetlight, because that is the only place that he can see anything. No streetlight - ie no existing community support - no key to a proper presence for the rugby club.

I know that sounds harsh, but for the life of me, I cannot see any other way of putting it. Even if we were rolling in dough, there is no guarantee that a rugby club can be built without community support.

Look at the Storm, they have been enormously successful by any measure, on the playing field, but apparently loig is just not taking off as a community sport in Victoria. An imposed solution just does not work.
The only guarantee is that without some sort of external assistance, they are terminal.
It might not even involve $$, what if they got all the fringe Tahs players that had no demonstrated ties to a SS club?
Last year they could have had Mason,Maclean jones,Wilkin and probably a few more that don't come to mind.
That would make a substantial difference.Players knowing that they will play and train with a few Tahs would probably enhance retention/recruitment as well.
The annual gutting of the club by other clubs has also played a major part in getting them to this position.

And the Riff are not analogous with Melbourne. There are plenty of Rugby supporters out there that actively support the professional game.lots more parents that played the game live out there, most are oblivious to the Riffs existence.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Speaking of rugby in Western Sydney, when is the Granville Park redevelopment supposed to start?

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Please keep the telegraph poles ;)

Here's proof, the dirt patch used to be the sponsors hut in the north west corner
28378651_2084627085118317_4664884776618257672_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.