• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
After almost 12 weeks of training there is an air of excitement around our Latham Park. The boys had a sharp session last night and the whole Club is looking forward to the opportunity to impress in our trial tomorrow at Latham Park. Our four grade teams take on the Manly Marlins.

The players have been told that season 2018 is a clean slate and for many this is their first opportunity to push their case for selection.

We look forward to the many graduating colts and new players at the Club having their first run in the senior ranks. With almost 20 colts graduating to grade this year the Club has an abundance of quality young players with many of them starting in the lower grades but keen to work their way up.

With so many quality rugby players, managing the expectations of our squad of players is the most important role of our coaches. Over the next few weeks we will get an idea of our player talent and we will work on implementing a game plan to suit that talent.

We are looking to create an environment of continual learning that encourages ownership that lets the player’s knowledge, experience and motivation blossom.

With another 12-15 players set to return from injury over the next two trials the Club is in a strong position as we work towards our goal of winning the 2018 Club championship. View the squads for this week below or Click to view Team Lists >>>....

A great thing about rugby is that the next week rolls on and one has another opportunity to improve. As they say “you are only as good as your last game”.

In the coming weeks we are also hosting West Harbour and Northern Suburbs at Latham Park as we head into Round 1 on the 7th of April at Coogee Oval. I encourage you to get behind the Club and support the teams on Saturday and get your first glimpse of the Galloping Greens of 2018.

If you can’t make it to Latham over the next three weeks we look forward to seeing you all at Coogee Oval for Round 1 versus Gordon on the 7th of April.

Up the Wicks!

https://mailchi.MP (Moana Pasifika)/randwickrugby/letter-from-the-coach-1199741

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is a rumour floating around that this will be the last season at TG Millner. If so, it would be kind of appropropriate, albeit very sad for those of us who were around when it was being built. I actually played on the opening day, against Parramatta.

It would be appropriate because Eastwood was actually formed 70 years ago, they only played a few unofficial games, 1949 was their first full season in the Shute Shield. So in a way, 2019 kind of works for a newish start.

Of course we started playing at the old Eastwood Oval. When I say "we", I was only a toddler, but my heart was there right from the start!!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not at the ground.
I don't want to give too much away and lose home grown advantage.

Is the surface 100% synthetic, or is it like some grounds in Britain and France which have natural grass and synthetic fibres interwoven?

As ever, the RFU are all over this with a huge expansion in the number of synthetic pitches recently.

http://www.englandrugby.com/governa.../artificial-surfaces/artificial-grass-pitches

There doesn't appear to be too many problems with them - maybe our drier climate might mean that moisture needs to be added?

T

TOCC

There is a rumour floating around that this will be the last season at TG Millner. If so, it would be kind of appropropriate, albeit very sad for those of us who were around when it was being built. I actually played on the opening day, against Parramatta.

It would be appropriate because Eastwood was actually formed 70 years ago, they only played a few unofficial games, 1949 was their first full season in the Shute Shield. So in a way, 2019 kind of works for a newish start.

Of course we started playing at the old Eastwood Oval. When I say "we", I was only a toddler, but my heart was there right from the start!!!

where too next then?
I'm still a little puzzled by this decision to sell, unless they have plans to co-locate at somewhere like Macquarie University, the only other option i can really see is them moving further out west to somewhere like Castle Hill where there is a little bit more green space which could be reallocated as rugby fields.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The only information that I have heard is that the majority of our members and supporters live to the north west of Eastwood, and the plan is, therefore, to move to the north west.

Makes sense.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
where too next then?
I'm still a little puzzled by this decision to sell, unless they have plans to co-locate at somewhere like Macquarie University, the only other option i can really see is them moving further out west to somewhere like Castle Hill where there is a little bit more green space which could be reallocated as rugby fields.

I think that's what they are doing. IIRC they announced a couple of years ago that they were moving to the Castle Hill/Dural area.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I do not think any final decisions have been made. And from what little I have gleaned, they are likely to move to a temporary home somewhere while they finalise their eventual (hopefully) permanent home.

One of my oldest friends and his wife, staunch Woodies supporters, have decided to move to the country at the end of the year. Just a coincidence, but a fitting one, as it transpires.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I do not think any final decisions have been made. And from what little I have gleaned, they are likely to move to a temporary home somewhere while they finalise their eventual (hopefully) permanent home.

One of my oldest friends and his wife, staunch Woodies supporters, have decided to move to the country at the end of the year. Just a coincidence, but a fitting one, as it transpires.

Probably a fair indication of where things are. I think at least we could say that their aspiration is to move to a growth area such as Castle Hill/Rouse Hill etc, which is probably what they announced a couple of years back rather than a definitive move.

IMO a very good thing for the club and the game if they do so, but in the end it's up to Eastwood.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Probably a fair indication of where things are. I think at least we could say that their aspiration is to move to a growth area such as Castle Hill/Rouse Hill etc, which is probably what they announced a couple of years back rather than a definitive move.

IMO a very good thing for the club and the game if they do so, but in the end it's up to Eastwood.

The simple fact is that the monetary value of TGM, coupled with the vast demographic changes that have totally changed the character of the surrounding suburbs, means that there is really no choice. Plus, of course, the long-standing debt owed to North Ryde RSL Club.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I notice that the council highlighted that they had spent $3 million on the facility with no financial cost to the club. Can't really see Easts getting any more than a token amount in compensation from them. They'd be better advised to just highlight what they missed out on and maintain a good relationship with the council.

I'd need to have someone confirm it, but I'd have thought that when Easts had to play a home game at their opponents ground, then Easts would have been given at least a share of the gate and sales? I know a few years back when Warringah were having trouble with Pittwater Council that they played a home game against Manly at Manly Oval and Manly let them take the gate.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wicks had an easy win in 2nd grade v Manly -- 9 or 10 tries to 2 or 3 (sorry, I lost count!)
Wicks 1sts won 4 tries to 2 -- 8 or more debuts

T

TOCC

I notice that the council highlighted that they had spent $3 million on the facility with no financial cost to the club. Can't really see Easts getting any more than a token amount in compensation from them. They'd be better advised to just highlight what they missed out on and maintain a good relationship with the council.

I'd need to have someone confirm it, but I'd have thought that when Easts had to play a home game at their opponents ground, then Easts would have been given at least a share of the gate and sales? I know a few years back when Warringah were having trouble with Pittwater Council that they played a home game against Manly at Manly Oval and Manly let them take the gate.

Yeah agree think they may be struggling a bit there, do they pay any other maintenance costs or leasing fees to the council? That's what it will come down to, if they're paying $200k a year for leasing the facilities and with that is the expectation the council provides the main oval ready for use, then they have something to argue. If they're their for free then its hard to demand anything from the council.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah agree think they may be struggling a bit there, do they pay any other maintenance costs or leasing fees to the council? That's what it will come down to, if they're paying $200k a year for leasing the facilities and with that is the expectation the council provides the main oval ready for use, then they have something to argue. If they're their for free then its hard to demand anything from the council.

Things are seldom free. Easts absolutely pay a lease for the use of Woollahra 1. Dont know the exact figure but as you can imagine if its in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, its substantial!

Status
Not open for further replies.