• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
There is no “rugby pathway” at Penrith based on what I saw

Faint but i can se it - there is a guy out there by the name of Chris Hicks. He's doing great things in junior rugby and also cricket. If people jump on board and help that path gets more visible.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Faint but i can se it - there is a guy out there by the name of Chris Hicks. He's doing great things in junior rugby and also cricket. If people jump on board and help that path gets more visible.

Thanks Dave Beat I can assure you that the Cattledog is still punching!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Watched the Wicks play Norfs on the weekend. It was a fairly willing hit out with Norths winning 6 tries to 1 or thereabouts. Norths are looking very good and deserve to be one of the favourites again this year. Wicks had some injuries in the pack which will concern their coaches this close to the comp starting - not a good display from them.
One of the few strong aspects of randwicks game was the scrum - the Waratahs loose head from Fiji was bettered by his opposites with quite a few tight heads taken. Norths looked sharp in all aspects - Shannon Fraser must be a happy man so far.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I understand that everyone wants Rugby in the greater west to survive, no thrive, but when in 1 game (3rds) 2 red cards are handed out to Penrith players for basically thug acts, its not good for anyone!

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Yep, got invite, and jumped on the bandwagon. There's no rules about tipping for your team are there, or I would consistently be dropping one game guaranteed each round......

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yep, got invite, and jumped on the bandwagon. There's no rules about tipping for your team are there, or I would consistently be dropping one game guaranteed each round..
Could we look at applying a bonus to those tragics who tip their team every week (e.g. you know I will tip the Mighty Two Blues every single week, come what may, because it's in my DNA)?

Just kidding :) We don't need no stinking bonus :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don’t understand what has happened there.
The area is massive and Has probably been the largest population growth area in the country in my lifetime.
Just the weight of numbers should make them viable: what do the 20 somethings do on a Saturday arvo?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I don’t understand what has happened there.
The area is massive and Has probably been the largest population growth area in the country in my lifetime.
Just the weight of numbers should make them viable: what do the 20 somethings do on a Saturday arvo?

Drink or play for a crappy league team that will give them match payments

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Drink or play for a crappy league team that will give them match payments

No doubt there are squillions of potential players. What is obviously missing is the cadre of older volunteers; people who love the game and are willing to work for it.

The grass roots, in other words.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No mate, it's part of the culture out there that your value as a player is measured by your match payments.
It's a dick measuring thing.
To play for nothing,is almost an admission that you are not good enough.
Its not the money,it's the prestige around it.
I know quite a few out there,that quit over money.
They were happy with the amount they were paid,but unhappy where it placed them in the pecking order.
Many just can't comprehend playing for no fee.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Actually, I do remember when an old mate of mine, who was a very good rugby union player, needed some extra money after he got married, and he went and played for Guildford (in Sydney's Western Suburbs, if you are not familiar with the name). He was one of the "professionals". In those days in "junior" league (ie the level below grade footy), not every player got paid.

He told me that, as a pro, he was expected to do a lot more tackling than the guys who did not get paid (or only got paid if the team won).

So the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Actually, I do remember when an old mate of mine, who was a very good rugby union player, needed some extra money after he got married, and he went and played for Guildford (in Sydney's Western Suburbs, if you are not familiar with the name). He was one of the "professionals". In those days in "junior" league (ie the level below grade footy), not every player got paid.

He told me that, as a pro, he was expected to do a lot more tackling than the guys who did not get paid (or only got paid if the team won).

So the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Guildford is no longer in Sydney’s West: RA are using the same map as you, wamberal.

Ruffledfeathers1992

Stan Wickham (3)
Who is running Randwick this year? It is Finegan isn’t it? Assume he’s in charge of the team and the engine room (forwards) and Bill Hopkins? (Used to do Erindale College?) is working the backline magic?

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
No mate, it's part of the culture out there that your value as a player is measured by your match payments.
It's a dick measuring thing.
To play for nothing,is almost an admission that you are not good enough.
Its not the money,it's the prestige around it.
I know quite a few out there,that quit over money.
They were happy with the amount they were paid,but unhappy where it placed them in the pecking order.
Many just can't comprehend playing for no fee.

I haven't seen many Penrith Rugby players good enough to get a match payment in League!! Not just Penrith players!!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
No doubt there are squillions of potential players. What is obviously missing is the cadre of older volunteers; people who love the game and are willing to work for it.

The grass roots, in other words.

I stand by the argument that union is struggling due to geography. If you play league or soccer your furthest away game in the local comp is 20 mins away, even when you get into rep stuff the teams seem to be better geographically placed for less travel. Example of of this is my local shire league comp, two clubs are literally on the same street, if you stand in one club house you can see the other across the road. As opposed to southern districts closest game is Randwick or Sydney uni in the city. In this day and age convenience is key, playing Union is not convenient I love my rugby but haven’t played for quiet a few years because I don’t want to give up two nights for training, have a decently early/sober night on Friday so I can spend all my Saturday at footy.

Maybe the key to having better numbers in colts/grade in both Shute shield and subbies is to divide into conferences based on geography

Status
Not open for further replies.