• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Results:

Eastern Surburbs 36 defeat West Harbour 10
Eastwood 46 defeat Hunter 11
Gordon 64 defeat Two Blues 0
Uni 10 defeat Manly 6
Norths 53 defeat Penrith 3
Randwick 13 defeat Warringah 8

A couple of low scoring games in there.

Manly v Uni was 7-6 at half time and a 3-0 second half. Rats v Randwick another tough low scoring affair.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just flicking through the channels on my sky NZ remote & came across Shute Shield LIVE one channel down from the dedicated rugby channel. Alternative is a replay of CruSadists v 'canes 2019 SF so I may stick with it for a while.

Edit: you'll no doubt be pleased to know that according to the synopsis SS is "Australia's premier club rugby competition." :)

Kiwis know their rugby.:)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Tips this round (QH had a 'mare):

QH 3/6
HB 5/6
Qwerty 5/6
UTG 5/6
Molman 6/6
Azzuri 6/6

Cumulative (noting Azzuri missed first round):

Azzuri 6/12
QH 8/12
HB 9/12
Qwerty 9/12
UTG 10/12
Molman 10/12

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A couple of low scoring games in there.

Manly v Uni was 7-6 at half time and a 3-0 second half. Rats v Randwick another tough low scoring affair.
There wasn't rain in the East and we haven't had any north of the bridge so wondering why they were so low.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wests look really poor. Comprehensively beaten by Norths and Easts. No direction in attack at all.

Really bad signs for Parra, Penrith and Newcastle. All look well off the pace.

The rest all look pretty even however with Gordon front runners so far.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone seen anything of Gordon? I noticed young Quinn on the wing was named in the team of the week last week, any other standouts?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Great defensive effort by The Wicks --- best for years.
Locky Miller was red carded for a tip tackle 13 minutes into the 2nd half but Wicks defence held the Rats out -- Rats didn't score again for the rest of the game.
Wicks also lost Horwitz to injury in the 1st half and Hutchinson in the 2nd, defending for several minutes with just 13 men with Rats camped in the Wicks 22 while Hutchinson was down injured.
Ordinary handling by both sides, but it did drizzle for pretty much the whole game.

The new coaching regime at the Wicks has certainly instilled some starch into the defence --- across all grades.
And the influx of the five 7s players has added a lot of zip to the attack.
The scrum also held up well against a bigger Rats pack. Rats undoubtedly missed the leadership and go forward of Ward (injured?).

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone know what the crowd situation is at Lidcombe and Drummoyne Ovals?
Can you buy a ticket at the gate?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm obviously biased, but having watched the replay on Cluch TV, I'd suggest Locky Miller was unlucky to be sent off.
The Rats winger seemed to jump in the air to loft a pass infield just as Miller attempted a front on tackle and the much taller winger just fell over the top of him.
No lifting motion by Miller that I could see.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
There wasn't rain in the East and we haven't had any north of the bridge so wondering why they were so low.

Uni looked pretty flat this week their was scrum heavily penalised and they made a few errors kicking out on the full and failing to find touch a few times in the second half. Manly didn't seem to have much in attack to really make Uni pay though

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm obviously biased, but having watched the replay on Cluch TV, I'd suggest Hutchinson was unlucky to be sent off.
The Rats winger seemed to jump in the air to loft a pass infield just as Hutchinson attempted a front on tackle and the much taller winger just fell over the top of him.
No lifting motion by Hutchinson that I could see.

I only listened to the radio call, but wasnt it the fullback that was Red Carded? Thought the said Hutchinson went off injured

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep, my mistake, it was Miller who was sent off (I've edited my post)

The radio guys didn't see it at all, so you could be right and not much in it.

They were talking about a deliberate slap down and possibly a penalty try being awarded to Warringah. So they assumed it was for foul play off the ball when the red card was given for a tip tackle.

Sounds like it was a pretty gutsy defensive effort from the Wicks in poor conditions.

Not sure why the Rats thought it best to scrum their way to victory 2 weeks in a row - only to lose both games they should have won. Turned down a shot in front that would have given them the lead. I think they missed the captain (Sick, not injured I believe)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The radio guys didn't see it at all, so you could be right and not much in it.

They were talking about a deliberate slap down and possibly a penalty try being awarded to Warringah. So they assumed it was for foul play off the ball when the red card was given for a tip tackle.

Sounds like it was a pretty gutsy defensive effort from the Wicks in poor conditions.

Not sure why the Rats thought it best to scrum their way to victory 2 weeks in a row - only to lose both games they should have won. Turned down a shot in front that would have given them the lead. I think they missed the captain (Sick, not injured I believe)

Locky Miller has been rightly exonerated.
No blame to the officials, it looked bad, but thanks to Cluch TV it was obvious that it was just an accident.