• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2023

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How did Hodge go? A wallaby playing club rugby or didn't stand out?
He played 15, it was like having 16 players on the field with his backline management.
Back again this week - 2015 GF rematch down at Manly Oval this weekend - both teams very strong.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Great Final Weekend of Club Rugby to decide who will make the Semis. Gordon need to win and they are in but if they loose and Uni win then it gets interesting. A bonus point win for Uni sees them make the semis much to the dislike of the rest of the competition. Everyone would love to see Two Blues get through and they will need a bonus point against West Harbour with Uni only getting the 4 points.
Still think any of the top 6 on their day can win the comp but Norths and Randwick been most consistent and likely to feature in the GF.

Araluenian

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know the last time that Uni missed the finals in the premiership (including the Tooheys New Cup years)?

I’ve been able to find records of them making it every year since 1999, but nothing before that.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A long break in play to arrange an ambulance transfer for Joe Pincus, sadly.

Woodies leading 17-0. Then when the game restarted, it was an absolute roller coaster. Eastwood gave up a couple of yellows, Manly scored tries and took the lead. But the Woodies showed their mettle and came back to win,

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
A long break in play to arrange an ambulance transfer for Joe Pincus, sadly.

Woodies leading 17-0. Then when the game restarted, it was an absolute roller coaster. Eastwood gave up a couple of yellows, Manly scored tries and took the lead. But the Woodies showed their mettle and came back to win,
What happened to him?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Anyone know the last time that Uni missed the finals in the premiership (including the Tooheys New Cup years)?

I’ve been able to find records of them making it every year since 1999, but nothing before that.
The Woodies beat them in 1999. Phil Waugh butchered what would have been the winning try. How sweet it was.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
CDF1025D-D981-4912-9070-B0A600C4AE7B.jpeg
EBCBB2F7-8D05-49D2-89A1-3B6A0DDB2973.jpeg

Don’t think many thought Gordon would stomp out Uni like that.

Warringah must be glad it over.

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good morning everyone

I have a question and I am sure someone here will be able to answer and apologies if it has been covered off before.

I have just been onto the Shute Shield website and they have listed the finals games as follows:
1691274283028.png

My question centres around - Playoff Round 2 - The Loser of Qualifying Final A - Is this right, or is it done on a ranking system?
Eg: If Norths win and say Randwick lose, does that position becomes Randwicks and they play Gordon again or does it go to Hunter?
Similar for Eastwood & Manly - If Randwick win, they both qualify?
Thanks in advance.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Good morning everyone

I have a question and I am sure someone here will be able to answer and apologies if it has been covered off before.

I have just been onto the Shute Shield website and they have listed the finals games as follows:
View attachment 17139
My question centres around - Playoff Round 2 - The Loser of Qualifying Final A - Is this right, or is it done on a ranking system?
Eg: If Norths win and say Randwick lose, does that position becomes Randwicks and they play Gordon again or does it go to Hunter?
Similar for Eastwood & Manly - If Randwick win, they both qualify?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, the highest placed loser gets a 2nd chance

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just realised, If Langi Gleeson misses the RWC squad, he could play for the Marlins next Sunday? Along with Reece Hodge.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, that could be a problem.

As good as Randwick have been, Norths are clearly the best side.
I agree. They are similar but Norths are so settled and mature as a side. Randwick could do it but are also young.

Eastwood have talent and Gordon are lurking as the team that can beat anyone with a full strength lineup.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah, that could be a problem.

I agree. They are similar but Norths are so settled and mature as a side. Randwick could do it but are also young.

Eastwood have talent and Gordon are lurking as the team that can beat anyone with a full strength lineup.
The Marlins had a Gleeson at #8 yesterday, red headgear and all. I assume this is a younger brother.

Or a clone.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Great to see such a tight competition in the Shute Shield and well done to Gordon for doing everyone a favour and knocking out UNI.
Some big semi-finals games this week with Norths and Randwick deserving home ground advantage. The Wicks will be cautious after having Gordon knock them out last year at Coogee Oval again. Will that be playing on their mind or will the eight fresh reserves that Hoiles has at his disposal just be too good for the Highlanders. Norths to get over the Wildfires again and Eastwood should be too strong for the Marlins.