• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sitaleki Timani

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
So what is the general consensus? He's been picked in a Tongan squad, and based on form you'd assume he'd make the team if he wanted to. In a world cup year the draw of playing in the comp must be huge.

I was very critical of him early in the season (and pre season) but he has really turned his game around and has shown some serious aptitude.

So, do the wallabies pick him and play him (probably against Samoa) and "reserve" him knowing he will probably never be a serious contender but could potentially be, (known as the half black manouver) or do we do the honourablw thing and shake his hand and wish him luck?

Lots of complex side issues (like money) but what are people's thoughts?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I'd hate for them to pick him to play against Samoa and then dump him for the rest of the World Cup campaign for the more seasoned locks and not be able to play for Tonga again because of it. I'd prefer to see him play a ton of tests for his country than 1 trial for us. That said if they are looking at him seriously, I'd have him in my squad.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The honourable thing to do would be to let him play for tonga, and then give him a the marquee contract at the tahs next year after his stint in japan. That is of course if he wants to play for tonga.

I think Samo, Wykes, Vickerman are ahead of him on the pecking order anyway.

M

Maroon Army

If he wants to play for Tonga he should be encouraged because I'd be gutted if the ARU started to employ the Kiwi cap and scrap policy.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Whilst he is playing well, there are a good 4 or so locks ahead of him in Australia. I hope he plays for Tonga, it would be great for a young bloke like him play in a world cup

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think he could realistically be an option at 8. I really thought the Tahs were actually going to play him there last weekend. His workrate and handling has often been his criticism but they've been superb this year. Has been in everything the last couple of weeks. I'd have him as the 4th lock tbh behind Vicks and the two obvious ones.

This is if he wants to play for Australia, valid point about him playing 1 Test and never being able to play for Tonga again. Robbie should tell him exactly how it'll be before he makes his decision.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks guys, agree with all of you
Follow up: How long do you think vics and Samo will hang around, and how patient do you think Sita is?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've warmed to him as a player as the season has gone on. He's a big unit, pretty hard at the breakdown and he's improved his handling. He probably needs to work out which country he wants to play for though, as I could see him being a future Wallaby if he keeps improving. With that said, if his heart is with Tonga, so be it.

I think him playing eight at international level is a fantastic call, BTW.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be the Samo saga all over again. Mind you Samo looks to be on the cusp of a miraculous recall in a world cup year.

Timani does have all the attributes to become a dominant test lock.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd have him as the 4th lock tbh behind Vicks and the two obvious ones.

Timani equal with Vickerman and over Simmons, Wykes and Pyle? Guys he is playing well but lets not forget there are many locks in Australia just as/more capable/suitable for test rugby.

I do agree on him potentially as a number 8, Tonga should look at playing him there

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think if he really wants to play for Aus, that would be great, but he should not be "locked in" with a token cap as a reserve if they have no intention of using him further in the near future. If they don't, be honest with him, and encourage him to play for Tonga in the RWC.
From a purely selfish point of view, I would love to see him in an extended Wallabies squad, and be available as a regular player for NSW next year. He may be a few down the pecking order now, but if we have seen anything it is the speed with which lack of depth becomes an issue in Aus rugby. Sharpe is already injured, God forbid Horwill or Simmons gets crocked. We need 4 fully fit and functional locks come RWC time, I think.

G

gladiator

The problem for sitaleki is that , he's competing against probably the most likeable/respected guy's in australian rugby , that is of course nathan sharpe and james horwill . Time however is against sharpie , he's 33 and on the decline , where as sitaleki is 24 and on the rise , could it be , that sitaleki is part of the next generation wallabies after nathan sharpe , OR , is his time NOW? ....... ......... james horwill is only 26 , and should be the captain now and for the years to come

sharpie's reputation will get him over the line though , as for sitaleki , it's just a matter of time ..............................

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don't 100% agree about Sharpe declining, but the age's is looking good for a smooth transition in the locking department. Sharpe and Horwill are the current, Simmons, Douglas and Timani are good for a bit longer, after that there's Wykes, Pyle, and then those yet to hit the Super level like Petersen, Battye and Jones.

(Not listed in order of skill, more in terms of exposure and expected longevity)

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Whether he wants to play further Super Rugby in Australia is another consideration. Playing for Tonga virtually means the end of that, perhaps one more 2 year contract. That's wouldn't be such a big deal for a 28 year old bloke or the like, but a 24 year old might have concerns about that.

Reactions: DPK

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The monetary prospects of playing for the Wallabies far outweight those for Tonga at any rate...

Playing for a club in France could be a comparable option if playing for Tonga...

I

International Badboy

I just hope he makes a choice and doesnt regret it ie. plays four games for tonga in a pool stage every 4 years and can't even be considered for the wallabies and makes it tough to play S15, hopefully he thinks long term and not just on the fact he wants to play a wc this year

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The ARU need to differentiate between a player who was developed in Australia and then goes onto play for his home country and a genuine marquee player. If Sitaleki want's to play for Tonga he should be allowed to, but the Tahs shouldn't be penalised for having taken the time and money to develop him (in conjunction with the Brumbies academy).

It could be something like, if a player spends at least a full year in an academy, goes onto be capped 10 times for his club, and then goes onto to be an international for his country of birth, he won't be classified as a marquee player when he comes back.

I would like to see Sitaleki play for Tonga in the world cup and be in the Tahs team next year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He has a very good future ahead of him in Australia if he wants.
There is also Dan Vickerman back in the picture for the next few years at least. Our lock stocks look pretty healthy for the first time in a long while.
His future may lie at 6 or 8, where we also have some other very good young prospects.
The choice should be his. I doubt that Australian rugby will try and secure him unless that is what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.