• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Jackson must have picked up a knock strange decision there, would have liked to have seen Ruddock on the bench as well. Despite the French team bickering at each other on the field and picking a somewhat unbalanced back row I have a horrible feeling about this game, could be 2007 all over again.

Jimmy Gopperth made hay down Remy Tales channel in the Heineken Cup a few weeks ago, I expect Sexton to target him of scrum and lineout ball. If we can subdue the crowd by mauling the f*** out of them we may win but as I said before I have a bad feeling.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The is Ireland's game to lose. Winning this match would be an enormous turning point for this generation of players. Don't let us down boys (and Joe!).

PSA (as well as the lead up through Lievremont) has done to the French national side what the Nazis did to the Louvre..

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The is Ireland's game to lose. Winning this match would be an enormous turning point for this generation of players. Don't let us down boys (and Joe!).

Thinking long term its massive in terms of getting some psychological advantage ahead of the world cup. The winner of our game effectively avoids the All Blacks in the quarters and will face Argentina, a couple of wins over France and we'll go into the tournament unbeaten in 4 games against them.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It truly blows my mind that PSA was elected, and remains, the head national coach of France.

I can't think of a single team that has performed so far below their potential for so long. There's little reason France shouldn't be a perennially dominant force in Europe and challenging the Big 3 on a regular basis.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Ireland to boss large parts of the game in Paris. With that assumption it seems it comes down to whether Ireland can score more points in those periods of dominance than France will in their moments of inspiration.

If their moments come at the start of the game it will be a very tough task for us. We have a history of being caught cold by the French and I would be nervous of that on Saturday.

The fact that we have no Zebo or Bowe also makes me nervous. I think Trimble's handling is much improved but I still worry about his ability to take a less than perfect pass and finishing a chance that could decide the game. Dave Kearney has had a good tournament and made some good breaks but again he's not yet a test level finisher.

I feel we're going to have to take almost every chance we make. I think we'll need to score somewhere in the region of 30 points to win. That's not something we do against France but then again we don't often win against France.

T

Tip

1. Ireland will push their game to another level to send BOD out on a high note.
2. France will go in knowing they have to win by 50+ to win the tournament.

I think 1 will outweigh 2. And 2 will lead to self-destruction by the french.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It truly blows my mind that PSA was elected, and remains, the head national coach of France.

I can't think of a single team that has performed so far below their potential for so long. There's little reason France shouldn't be a perennially dominant force in Europe and challenging the Big 3 on a regular basis.
A bit harsh to pit the consistent inconsistency of France on any one single person. Could a Graham Henry do any better with the fickle Top14 clubs and club owners? The rot goes further than PSA.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's been very interesting listening to Ronan O'Gara who's been a panelist/touch line reporter for RTÉ all through this 6 Nations. He talks about the lack of structure in the French game beyond the first phase and how there's a lack of attention to detail in preparation.

So the rot certainly goes beyond the national team but you'll forgive me if I don't jump at the chance to swap Schmidt for PSA.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Joe Marler is out of England's game at the weekend as his partner is due to give birth to their first child. Mako Vunipola is promoted from the bench and Matt Mullan comes into the squad.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
A bit harsh to pit the consistent inconsistency of France on any one single person. Could a Graham Henry do any better with the fickle Top14 clubs and club owners? The rot goes further than PSA.

His selections and the lack of an apparent gameplan lead me to show very little sympathy for the man. I recognize there are other issues with French rugby that have made his tenure more difficult than perhaps it should have been.

Unfortunately for him none of those things have any impact of the first-degree incompetency (ie: selections and game plan) that he has so openly displayed in his time as coach.

Maybe there's some craziness going on within the playing group but I can't really imagine there are 23-30 professional rugby players in France that would be happy to be playing the way that they have been.

Looking back on last weekend I'm actually growing confident that Ireland could uproot this French side pretty badly. The French set piece was fucking abysmal last weekend while Ireland has been performing quite well both in the scrum and line out so far this tournament. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland hold 60%+ dominance in the scrums and if France doesn't dramatically improve their line out from last weekend they will be like lambs to the slaughter.

If the forwards can lay the platform they have been for the past few weeks against a struggling French forward pack the game could be more or less over before it even really begins.

More than anything the relative consistency that Ireland has been playing with under Joe has me budding with some real confidence. It seems like he has done a lot to raise the floor of this Irish team in a way Kidney never could, while also raising the ceiling at the same time. That's not always an easy thing to do.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Writeup is up.

A bit baffled by the Jackson/Madigan swap as well..watching Ulster right now and Jackson looks fine to me.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Writeup is up.

A bit baffled by the Jackson/Madigan swap as well..watching Ulster right now and Jackson looks fine to me.

Did you see Ferris? First thing he does is drive the Scarlets back 20 metres. Really hope I can stay fit through to the World Cup

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Did you see Ferris? First thing he does is drive the Scarlets back 20 metres. Really hope I can stay fit through to the World Cup

We could only be so lucky!

Bowe needs to stay healthy too. Slot him in for Dave Kearney and the backs look a lot more dangerous.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I think Wales have got to have a major rethink. Right through the team there are lads who spend the club season phoning in performances and, quite frankly, are not fit and ready for Test rugby. Gatland blaming the pro 12 might have assuaged the Regions politics but it is bollocks. Welsh rugby, regions and union have got to sit down and sort their shit out because the descent into mediocrity could be very rapid given the demographic of the side and the replacements coming through. I think Gatland might start with a clear out for Scotland. And I think one of the lads who might be dropped is Adam Jones.

I know your post was days ago, but it was damned prescient.

I've heard some other criticisms of the Welsh regions sleepwalking through their league season and not being ready come international time. I wonder how that will play out with the Welsh regions flirting with the Premiership. If Cardiff are dropping two to Zebre, they're not going to have much more success with the English teams.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I say let the Soap Dodgers talk themselves into favouritism for RWC 2015 and 2019.

I like seeing tall poppies fall. The World loves an underdog.

IMHO the Welsh need to move on from Gatlandball. It has served them well in the past but seems to be becoming a millstone for them, and I reckon their chances for RWC 2015 have suffered as a result of sticking with him for too long.

Probably too late for them to change now, so the Boyos had probably best stick with him and try to minimise damage at RWC 2015.

Well he signed a contract through 2019, so let's see how it goes.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Writeup is up.

Heard Schmidt say if Sexton was injured he'd have started Jackson and still put Madigan on the bench. The major reasoning was Madigan covers more positions off the bench.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Let's hope we get 3 decent quality games to finish the championship today.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.