• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Smit reappointed captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I think what this discussion highlights is that winning two RWC's on the trot is a bloody hard thing to do. The window opens and then close pretty quickly. No winning team has realistically got close to doing it, appearances in finals notwithstanding. We weren't good enough to be world champions again in 2003 and neither were England in 2007. You could say the same for NZ in 1991 and arguably the Boks in 1999 too.

Well if this dont motivate our old age home lot not to perform, nothing will.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think what this discussion highlights is that winning two RWC's on the trot is a bloody hard thing to do. The window opens and then close pretty quickly. No winning team has realistically got close to doing it.

What? Can you get any closer than going down in over time in the final by a drop kick???

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's natural to want to keep the blokes who took out the trophy, but regeneration of the playing stocks has to happen as well. Towards the end of last season, the Bok players were starting to look off the pace a bit. Just like ours in 1995.

It's all speculation in the end though I guess and there's always a first time for back-to-back to happen.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What? Can you get any closer than going down in over time in the final by a drop kick???

We were lucky to be in that final. Our form in the season leading up was pretty rubbish and we'd played pretty poorly in the group stage and QF. The All Black game is the only one where we really turned it on. We have Andre Watson to thank for the final even being close IMHO. Had he known how to ref a scrum, we'd have been whistled off the park.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
We were lucky to be in that final. Our form in the season leading up was pretty rubbish and we'd played pretty poorly in the group stage and QF. The All Black game is the only one where we really turned it on. We have Andre Watson to thank for the final even being close IMHO. Had he known how to ref a scrum, we'd have been whistled off the park.
I'll never forget that Larkin drop goal in extra time in 1999 to send us packing. Larkin drop goal, Aplons one on the weekend reminded me of that one.

Thats how close it get in WC tournaments and experience vital, vital in my books.

Also probably the reason why I hate WC tournaments, its only a month long tournament but the whole flippen rugby cycle is all about this one. Players, coaches getting measured for life at the WC tournament. As much as you lot are laughing at Snor, if he wins it with the Bokke they will be measured as the best ever, winning it back to back. Thats exactly their aim and I would give them a more then fair change to achieve it.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Wow Hello Grabbie, long time no see and glad to hear from you. Wish I can turn back the clock to 2007 when we had the exact same problem and question regarding the Smit or Battleship one. Nothing have change and geuss we would see if this is the right desicion or not. Like I qouted earlier we are use to have the WC politics syndrome every time when the tournament get closer. The scoreboard still reads 2 from 4 and only a few WC losses since readmission, by far the best results for any country participating. Good sign this.

hey paarl!

I think Smit has got himself fitter for one last hurrah and his captaincy will be important however, it is a long season and will be interesting how he is going in October. I do question the wisdom where he will be subbed off in a knockout match where his experience will be vital and needed the most.

No doubt the boks will be hard to beat but as I listed in my previous post, I don't think they are going to emulate the teams of 95 or 07. too many factors will be against them in my view.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
hey paarl!

I think Smit has got himself fitter for one last hurrah and his captaincy will be important however, it is a long season and will be interesting how he is going in October. I do question the wisdom where he will be subbed off in a knockout match where his experience will be vital and needed the most.

No doubt the boks will be hard to beat but as I listed in my previous post, I don't think they are going to emulate the teams of 95 or 07. too many factors will be against them in my view.

Subbing Smit with 15/20 top go is nothing new.

I am confident that between Vic, Schalk, FdP and JdV they can figure out what to do.

Like I said earlier. That's not what we need to worry about. There are bigger issues.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If those guys can figure out what to do, then why wouldn't you have one of them as the captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.