• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

So long and thanks for all the Gits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
According to Gits Twitter, he has been given notice that he won't be heading to NZ.

giteau_rugby
Really wanna thank everyone for the support! Was a huge honour to get the chance to represent my country as often as I did
giteau_rugby
Thank u ballboys, thank u linesman! That's it...

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Thank you Matt Giteau. Over the past couple of years a lot of people (including myself) have shown resentment towards his performances in the Green and Gold- including some intense slander after some missed goal kicks- but I think everyone will agree that he should be remembered as a stand-out. His brilliant efforts in between Larkham and Mortlock made inside centre play seem effortless, with his runs slicing up defences seemingly at will. He shouldered the burden of directing an inconsistently performing and ever-changing backline after the '07 RWC and the fact that he was lauded by many as the best player in the world in 2008 is testament to his playing ability. Good luck in France Gits, no reasonable supporter could begrudge you success after sticking by the Australian Rugby-circus over the best part of a decade.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Never been a massive fan, but he had character and was a fantastic player. He got a lot of my respect the way he played this year for the Brumbies, week-in week-out he performed in a struggling team.

Good luck in France Gits!

S

Skippy

Cannot believe Deans can't find a spot for this gifted and talented footballer, his versatility alone and big match experience along with being an outstanding goal kicker (in a squad weak on tried and trusted goal kickers) commanded a place in my opinion.

Sadly the bulk of his Wallaby career was behind a scrum on the bookfoot and a beaten forward pack but he stayed loyal to the ARU time and time again. Anyone who can slot into scrum half having not played there for several years, and emerge from a test match as man of the match against Wales is exceptional. Carried the Wallaby backline for many years and produced moments of individual brilliance... and his ranking as the no 1 player in the game in 2008 was well deserved.

But his weaknesses over time sadly became the dominant features of his game at international level and I can't help but think this due to the pressure of having to lift the team/carry the side as the only backline star for many seasons, a move to 10 that probably should never have happened (12 was and is his best position) and the hardship of playing behind a forward pack getting a beating every week year in and year out for many seasons. All too often I feel his performance was a case of 'trying to hard' and I don't think anyone can knock the bloke for his commitment.

I do however feel that Deans has made a huge error and should have persevered with Gits at 12 outside of Cooper over the last 2 years and build a game around that combination within the rapidly improving Wallaby camp.

I can't begin to understand how Deans can bring back Vickers after a 3 year absence (largely for his presence/leadership and experience) entertain picking Palu after little game time and following multiple surgeries (largely for his impact and ability to change a game) when Gits could have provided all of this along with a most crucial thing - experence playing and winning against the All Blacks... and in NZ.

Thanks for the memories Gits.... and to Robbie Deans - well done on giving our opponents a leg up and less to fear.

C

chief

I genuinely thought he could be used as a 3rd even 2nd half back option. I've been critical of him in the past, but not critical enough to warrant the exclusion of him from the squad. Deans and Larkham should shoulder some blame for this as well, you don't play Giteau at Flyhalf, you play him at Inside Centre. Gits knew it wasn't his strongest position why didn't Robbie.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
On the presumption this may be mistaken as an eulogy, Gits mate, although you didnt make the RWC team, you've 92 caps to your name and numerous wins, losses etc etc etc. Hope when your leave these shores, and next tie those bootlaces, after you've sipped some champagne b4 training and munched on those croissants in the sheds, you will return to the form we remember you best - In the end its just a game!

T

txoxmxaxsx

Bad call from Robbie Deans. I think he should have retained a quality player like Gits in the Squad. Although in the long run giving Barnes some RWC time could proof benefitial.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I genuinely thought he could be used as a 3rd even 2nd half back option. I've been critical of him in the past, but not critical enough to warrant the exclusion of him from the squad. Deans and Larkham should shoulder some blame for this as well, you don't play Giteau at Flyhalf, you play him at Inside Centre. Gits knew it wasn't his strongest position why didn't Robbie.

Did he really?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
No fan of Giteau. Apart from sideways running, he seems to drag discord around wherever he goes. However, I would have probably found a spot for him. He can score a try on his own from anywhere inside the 22, and could be a handy gamebreaker. Seems odd for Deans to pick him over and over when we would have dropped him, then drop him when quite a few of us are picking him.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
OK im starting to get pretty jack of everyone having a go at Giteau running sideways and not playing well. He has never had the best pack in front of him to show what he can do. Doing that is a result of not going forward in the pigs.

In saying that it's unfortunate for Matt that his decision to play for the Force and Brumbies of recent years has exacerbated the situation in him not being selected.

Bonne chance dan france mon amis, je detest le decision le rugby union de Australie...

I hope to see you in Green and Gold sometime in the future.

T

Train Without a Station

Matt Giteau had some great form playing in a backline with Larkham inside of him and both Mortlock and Latham outside of him. Probably wasn't heavily targeted by defence because they focused more on those 3 players. Unfortunately after a good 2008 when these players moved on, Matt failed to carry the burden of now being one of the major focuses of defensive pressure and his game suffered.

Plus openly stating he wanted to be playing 10, when he didn't make too many players outside him look good when he did play there and was judged to have a good game certainly didn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.