• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

So, who here thinks Deans is the coach we need?

Deans - the Wallabies coach to take on the Lions, or another coach on the scrapheap of Aussie rugby?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not a "told you so" kind of poster, but I had massive reservations about this move by Deans. You can look up some of my posts on here or on the Fern and see that the biggest hurdle I saw in this appointment is the cultural obstacles Deans would be faced with. Deans grew up in the NZ rugby environment, became an AB in the amateur era when the ABs were no nonsense but revered by the NZ public. He became a successful coach in the provincial ranks understanding intricately all levels of NZ rugby. He knew what it took and how players got to the top in NZ. He saw it. He lived and breathed it. He knew what the players went through and knew how to connect with them on a real personal level which is a huge factor in getting people to buy in and also get the best out of them.

Ironically Henry mentioned this "psyche" stuff in his interview this morning with Fran Kelly on ABC - ie coaching your own nation and how that was so very different to when he was at Wales.

Anyway, Deans had little knowledge of OZ and really only had his NZ and AB experience to draw on. He couldn't talk about any glory days at Eastwood or playing/coaching for Queensland ripping it up. All of that intangible stuff is very important IMO when dealing with a bunch of early-mid 20 year olds carving out a career that not only demands professionalism but demands that inner stuff of passion, playing for the mate next to you, and pushing beyond physical boundaries when its just mental.

Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away with this stuff, but Deans was pushing it up hill big time coming to his geographical neighbours but in rugby terms couldn't be more far apart IMHO.

This not to say there have some poor results and some very good ones (to me at least Australia's WC was pretty good - it took one hell of a performance to beat the Boks and then a huge effort by the ABs to beat the Wallabies in the semi) which Deans should be critiqued - no issue there. But even 4 years on I still think that buy in is not there so it always seems like things are right, disjointed, not on the same page, weird, prickly, confusing - all rolled into one..

That's a very nuanced post, ACT Crusader - good stuff.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm not a "told you so" kind of poster, but I had massive reservations about this move by Deans. You can look up some of my posts on here or on the Fern and see that the biggest hurdle I saw in this appointment is the cultural obstacles Deans would be faced with. Deans grew up in the NZ rugby environment...........(snipped)..

ACT..Very interesting post, although I'm reluctant to concur that the cultural obstacles for Deans are so significant as to render him incapable of delivering success. I believe he really should be able to hurdle any that exist with ease, and certainly should have done so after 4 years. He has the coaching chops evident from his work at the Crusaders so for me the question is one of whether Deans could ever be successful as a Test coach or does he need to run a "club" team in which he has greater hands-on, continuous access to players in a role that differs sharply with that of a national coach. I feel that Australia probably provides as much access to players as any top level Test team, so if he can't get the Wallabies consistently playing to their full potential at Test level, I'm not sure he could get any Test team there.

Test rugby is first and foremost about selection and Dean has made many selections that have frustrated many long-time followers of the Wallabies. There is just so much less margin for error. Back as early as 2003, it is rumored that he drove the selection of Leon McDonald at 13 over Umaga in the RWC semi, and that was a poor decision given how easily Mortlock ran over MacDonald. Looking back, I fear it was a portent of things to come..

W

Waylon

Everybody makes mistakes

Good coaches learn from it, adapt, improvise, endure and succeed

Deans keeps making the same mistakes.......tactical errors, selection blunders, poor bench options and is outcoached test after test after test.

We did win the tri nations last year, so that is a huge thing.

I was a fan when he was first selected. If he delivers this year, I'll stand corrected. If we win the Bledisloe and the rugby championship, he can stay. If the performances are poor..........he should be sacked

Deans either delivers or it's Link time

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I would not be expecting any major improvement in QC (Quade Cooper)'s defensive capabilities, given that he is in his fourth or fifth year as a professional Rugby player.
He is what he is, if you pick him, you pick him knowing his frailties.

Did you watch the games post injury?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Or not.
Your timing could not have been worse to defend KB (Kurtley Beale).
Unless you are the Black Knight from Monty Python,I think we are done.

Done? Well, he certainly had his worst game for the Wallabies, and the worst game I've seen him play. But if you really think that is the best of him then we're indeed done.

Last night's bad game doesn't undo all the good work he's done for the Wallabies in defence.

Who would you replace him with?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My original post :
Put them both in a position where they need to make decisions/adjustments and instincts fuck them up, as they are instinctively tentative, and often get caught with their weight on their heels.
your reply:
That's not true of Beale at all. He's a great positional defender at fullback, often arriving at just the right time to make the crucial defensive play
On Saturday he showed Dagg the sideline and got shamed, then made a poor defensive read for the other try.He made another atrocious effort with about 12 to go, that was snuffed out with a great tackle near the corner post by another Wobbly.
I made no comment that he should be dropped, stoned to death or excommunicated. Only that some people's blind faith in KB (Kurtley Beale) defensively wasn't justified.
Making a tackle that any Shute Shield player would complete does not turn him into a highly proficient defender at test level.
If you don't think the AB's don't try and get a one on one with him, you are delusional.

W

Wooden Horse

If Oz can’t win with Deans they can’t win with anyone. Deans previous record & methodology would stack up against anyone, especially whatever Aust. Rugby can offer, anytime. Before the inevitable scapegoating push, Deans need to stating his clearly superior understanding of the perilous state of Oz rugby & the remedy. But the solution ain’t simple & is long term. Yep the same long term O’Neil & the current Aust. Rugby Union Inc. have had, failed & hence should go. O’Neil & his Inc. club rode the wave of 90’s coach Rod Macqueen success. If the Union is the business operator, players the Union’s ‘shares’ and participants & viewers the Union’s customers…AND THEY ARE….the business is bust…..bring in the administrators!

Maybe immediately or asap that means a negotiated corporate sponsor lead raid on league in HOPE of a Wallaby revival, in HOPE home revival in support, participation & viewers (i.e. in HOPE, desperately beyond just the Eastern states). Yep lots of wishful HOPE.

Aust. Rugby Union Inc, needs to be flushed out & REFORMED, & that before any help is offered. Since Oz rugby's 90's peak and their $20M profiting World Cup, Oz rugby has plummeted in performance, participation & viewers.....WHAT?!....did I mean the other way? NOPE! An outcome of the lazy boys club that the business operators of Oz rugby is, the Aust. Rugby Union Inc.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Do the players buy into Deans 'vision'? Are they happy going into a Bledisloe test with no apparent game plan?

Apart from Coopers comments after the RWC and Gits they all appear happy with how things are going. Player power is usually a very not desirable but there have been times it has worked. The appointment of White at the Brumbies was a result of it. Doubt the French would have made the RWC final if they hadn't decided to completely ignore there coach and play for each other.

Wonder if a few ARU board members need to touch base with some of the senior players to get some frank, honest assessments of how happy the team is with Dingo. It may work if players are assured there privacy will be protected.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If Oz can’t win with Deans they can’t win with anyone. Deans previous record & methodology would stack up against anyone, especially whatever Aust. Rugby can offer, anytime. Before the inevitable scapegoating push, Deans need to stating his clearly superior understanding of the perilous state of Oz rugby & the remedy. But the solution ain’t simple & is long term. Yep the same long term O’Neil & the current Aust. Rugby Union Inc. have had, failed & hence should go. O’Neil & his Inc. club rode the wave of 90’s coach Rod Macqueen success. If the Union is the business operator, players the Union’s ‘shares’ and participants & viewers the Union’s customers…AND THEY ARE….the business is bust…..bring in the administrators!

Maybe immediately or asap that means a negotiated corporate sponsor lead raid on league in HOPE of a Wallaby revival, in HOPE home revival in support, participation & viewers (i.e. in HOPE, desperately beyond just the Eastern states). Yep lots of wishful HOPE.

Aust. Rugby Union Inc, needs to be flushed out & REFORMED, & that before any help is offered. Since Oz rugby's 90's peak and their $20M profiting World Cup, Oz rugby has plummeted in performance, participation & viewers...WHAT?!..did I mean the other way? NOPE! An outcome of the lazy boys club that the business operators of Oz rugby is, the Aust. Rugby Union Inc.

:D LMFAO. That sentence seriously posted with anything regarding Deans.

But wait, I read the rest and clearly you speak the same language. Please translate your post into English (or at worst Australian).

While your at it please translate your coaching manual and your last five press interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.