• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sonny Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
On the 10th September Tim Horan said:
My mail is that [SBW has] already agreed to probably go back to rugby. I think he really misses it.
If he uses the word 'probably', I'm not sure how accurate Timmy's mail is. However, what does Khoder Nasser, SBW's usually media shy manager, think of it? Take it away Khoder.........
Tim Horan likes to call himself an expert and he thinks that somehow he knows what Sonny is doing or what sort of person Sonny is.

I'm sick of so-called experts with their condescending views. He does not know. Well let's get a couple of points quite clear. This is the same expert who said that Sonny would not make it as an All Black. Do you think he was right there? Do you think he was close to being right? Not only did he make it as an All Black - he flourished as an All Black. I'll tell you one thing, he can thank his lucky stars that he is not playing against Sonny because he'd snap him in half.

Why is he telling the world that Sonny is back in rugby? There is no deal done in rugby or rugby league and won't be for some time. Sonny has the finals on his mind. He will make the decision when he ready.
WTF? Condescending views? Snap him in half? Seriously Khoder that all seems a bit over the top for a rather innocuous comment from Timmy. Why so defensive?

Khoder, Timmy is no slouch. According to ESPN scrum:
Horan won 80 caps for Australia, scoring 30 tries, in a glittering 11-year career that included two Rugby World Cup victories in 1991 and 1999.
He formed memorable partnerships with Jason Little and latterly Daniel Herbert and with his superb all-round game carved out a reputation as one of the greatest centres to have played the game.
Not bad.

Khoder, I'm big fan of Sonny, but really? Why attack someone who is so 'snapable', that's just mean.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would have thought Khoder was about the same vintage and weight division as "snapable" Tim.
Maybe Khoder should challenge TH to a bout.
I hear Khoder is quite fond of the sport.
I know I would pay good money to see Khoder teach him a lesson.But I won't be holding my breath.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Tim Horan was a great of the game. But in the Fox commentary team he and Cannon vie for the wooden spoon of commentary, worse than Marto. You would hardly think this was possible. His comments are parochial rather than measured and they have proven time and again to be wildly inaccurate. Khoder Nasser cites Horan's comments on SBW's ability to make the grade in Union. I wish that error was an aberration but sadly its the norm.

Its natural that the player's manager would call him out on it. He is in a lot better position to know the facts. Tim Horan the player is one of my top ten all-time faves. Tim Horan the commentator is absolute rubbish.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
WTF? Condescending views? Snap him in half? Seriously Khoder that all seems a bit over the top for a rather innocuous comment from Timmy.

Horan played one of his greatest games in the RWC99 final when he was as sick as a dog. I doubt that he 'snaps' that easily.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
SBW commits to mungo-ball for 2014.

I'm over him.

Unless he helps us retain the loig world cup.

Then I'm definitely over him.

si_rangi

Frank Row (1)
Its not as if we are struggling without him. Crotty is in good form and we have Francis Saili to develop and there's always that Nonu fulla.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I suspect a very large incentive swayed SBW mind at the last minute, probably going to be paid between January and when he re-signs in February. As an 'uncontracted' player during that period would that payment fall outside the salary cap?

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
You are correct, there's a good reason he's not going to sign until February. Dave Smith, David Gyngell and Nick Politis have worked something out.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If a journo proves that it's going to piss off a lot of players. One year NRL contracts will become the norm.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Loig would not have been happy if they'd lost SBW and Folau in a few short months. I'm sure all the stops were pulled out.

T

TOCC

Nah I don't think so, I reckon allowances were made to let him box, league can still offer up a sizeable amount and SBW was probably still riding on the emotional high of the GF win when he made the decision.. If he slept on it a few weeks might be a different story..

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Gyngell (Channel 9) said 6 days ago:

"We need to make sure players like Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis stay. Israel Folau was a disappointment. We couldn’t get him.

"I’d like to think we think above the bureaucracy. We need players like Sonny Bill Williams to be part of our code.

"For the Roosters it’s obvious, for Channel Nine it’s imperative too.

When the guy who basically controls the game says that, behind closed doors he is making sure it happens. There is a lot more to this.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gyngell (Channel 9) said 6 days ago:

When the guy who basically controls the game says that, behind closed doors he is making sure it happens. There is a lot more to this.

Is Channel 9 about to go bankrupt (or close) again with the edict being issued from the top to "save our investment in Loig" whatever it takes?

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah I don't think so, I reckon allowances were made to let him box, league can still offer up a sizeable amount and SBW was probably still riding on the emotional high of the GF win when he made the decision.. If he slept on it a few weeks might be a different story..

Sound reasoning, but I suspect his manager was not riding the same high. I think that Williams and Nasser chose the option that would give them the greatest short term income.

In recent years, they have been quite savvy in negotiating contracts, whether they be above board or below. It is precisely the dispassionate approach that lands Williams the high dollar contracts. I really don't think this decision was based on feeling or emotion. It totally goes against Nasser's method of negotiation.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sound reasoning, but I suspect his manager was not riding the same high. I think that Williams and Nasser chose the option that would give them the greatest short term income.

In recent years, they have been quite savvy in negotiating contracts, whether they be above board or below. It is precisely the dispassionate approach that lands Williams the high dollar contracts. I really don't think this decision was based on feeling or emotion. It totally goes against Nasser's method of negotiation.
It's a punt.
QC (Quade Cooper) rolled the dice,and was on annual contracts.
His market value took a dive after RWC.
Good on him for backing himself but there are risks involved in this strategy.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Be nice if the NZRU make it clear they don't want him for 2015. Might have some trouble beating this years contract without another code sniffing about.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As good as he may be, I reckon NZRU could easily make do without him at RWC 15 and Olympics 7's. In doing so they will have a decent amount of money in the kitty for other players.

I don't think he would be any good at Sevens.

Status
Not open for further replies.