• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Why would you randomly pick City??? Why not Tahs???

Neither City or Tahs would gain anything by merging with a team at the uni as students would just play for the club on the campus.

If CSU were to merge with anyone then it would make sense to merge with the other uni team I would think.

I also hope that CSU can come back to being more competitive this season, with only 8 clubs SIRU cant afford to lose any more.

Thanks for the reply.
The reason I've stated City as the team for CDU to merge with is for a number of reasons. Historically, it was an unwritten rule that the students who played for the uni, when they completed their bachelors & if they were staying in town would play for City. The exact same rul applied for Aggies with The other reason is that very few students actually play for CSU. Again, back in the day only Ag students played for Aggies, so CSU had a cast of thousands coming to play. I'm told because of the drift away in student culture, the students have been playing for Aggies for the best part of the decade. You're correct, a merger with anyone would only help CSU. Hell would have to freeze over before they merge with Aggies, so that's out of he question. It's a shared opinion that it's a merger or death for the once proud Wagga Teachers/RCAE/Rivcoll club. You're also correct in that the comp needs them to be stronger. I know a number of old boys who won't attend games anymore or help out in 3rds because of the shift in culture.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I think you've trotted out this 'CSU must merge with City' at least 10 times in the last 12 months. And I'm pretty certain no one has bought into it ever.
  • City is one of the two oldest clubs in the comp if you want to start throwing historical options around. Why would they choose to merge with a club that has no genuine shared links to them ?
  • City has very strong playing stocks and has just played in a grand final . City has long term sponsors, long term coaching and development plans coupled with a hard working committee with goals for the club. What do they gain by merging with a club that is on the bottom of the table ??
  • Not once at a committee meeting have we ever thought or discussed 'gee wish we could merge with reddies' !
So if you truly cared about Rugby in the Southern Inland comp then surely you would stop kicking Reddies while they are down and start helping them ? Rugby doesn't gain anything as a sport in this region if the misinformed start hypothesising and start demanding the disappearance of a proud club on the basis of a lean year!
In short , go and help them if you truly care that much! Because judging by the amount of time you spend rabbitting on about their woes you must care !!

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Agreed Bubba. I'm not a fan of the bashing of any club within SIRU. The stronger the competition can get the better. I think cyclical patterns within rugby are no better highlighted than by CSU - if I remember rightly they were only 1 game away from the GF in 2013? They will bounce back, particularly if they have the support of the other clubs. At the end of the day SIRU is in a pretty healthy state when the last 3 Grand Finals are won by the favourites by less than 7 points in a game where they are pushed for the full 80 minutes by outsiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Looking forward to a much more Even Comp next year
Waratahs will miss Le Lievre Big Time as he scored nearly 75% of their points in every matcvh he played in this year
Just saw on the SIRU Website that the AGM is on Dec 4
I wonder if many of the Clubs have many issues with this year's Competition
Home & Away Comp over 14 Rounds was ideal
Coota & Temora were apparently high profile in their Competition in C/West so hopefully they stay where they are

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looking forward to a much more Even Comp next year
Waratahs will miss Le Lievre Big Time as he scored nearly 75% of their points in every matcvh he played in this year
Just saw on the SIRU Website that the AGM is on Dec 4
I wonder if many of the Clubs have many issues with this year's Competition
Home & Away Comp over 14 Rounds was ideal
Coota & Temora were apparently high profile in their Competition in C/West so hopefully they stay where they are

I hope next season is more even than this year- Albury & CSU need to really get their acts together whilst Aggies loom as a big chance to win the Comp if they maintain most of their players for next year
The rumour is that Coota are worried about the likes of Condo & Grenfell having teams next year and possibly having to do more travel to places like Orange, Bathurst & Blayney

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Dyer to City makes sense, travel must have killed him for the past two years. A loss for the Phantoms for sure.

I continue to hear words about some Albury folks happy to keep Nathan Honeyman company in the car on his travels up the Olympic Way. Anyone care to confirm if this is true?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I've heard some similar stuff, but I'm a bit out of the loop

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I've heard some similar stuff, but I'm a bit out of the loop

City must have plenty of $$$ to spend - Honeyman is already on a good wicket and from previous years Albury players don't come cheap
I think it would be much better for the Comp and Albury if the locals play for their local Club.
Does anyone know what Manion is up to next year or has he pulled the Pin on the Steamers too !

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
...... and from previous years Albury players don't come cheap........

Does anyone know what Manion is up to next year or has he pulled the Pin on the Steamers too !

Not sure where that first bit comes from, I don't know of any Albury player that has been paid.

As for Manion I reckon he'll be chasing sheep up and down hills until a week before the first game.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Well Lets just hope that the Albury Locals can get the Steamers to be competitive again in 2017 - Anyone know who is coaching them ?
Anyone know a kick off date for next year ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Well Lets just hope that the Albury Locals can get the Steamers to be competitive again in 2017 - Anyone know who is coaching them ?
Damien Sims

Anyone know a kick off date for next year ?
The draw will be floated at the AGM in early December. One of the options that I have heard put forward is a kick off a week before Easter which is the second weekend in April (Sat 8th).

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting developments in the Central West.
Harden leaving Monaro and into CW, CW allegedly also slimming the Graincorp Cup back to North and South. I wonder what that mix will look like?

I understand the drive for a Premier Competition, it's interesting that Orange Emu's were able to win the comp without a Colts team. I'm sure there will be some noses out of joint in CW because of that!

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Coota & Temora might be up against the Orange Emus next year in the GrainCorp Cup ? - my moneys on the Emus
Coota don't want to travel any longer than 20 mins for an Away Game so it is good that Harden have joined the Grain Corp ranks

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A couple of Clubs have already stated pre season training for what appears on paper to be a pretty Open Competition next year
Can't wait for the first time City & Waratahs clash next year - No love lost there after the Grand Final fallout,

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Heard some news recently about a change at Wagga City that could be Aggies gain. The change would be a great addition to the 2017 College roster and should provide a strong base for their 2017 program.

Status
Not open for further replies.