• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2023

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Big leap for Deni . I must say i was quite surprised by that announcement ! I hope it works and I look forward to the trip. A lot of first grade boys have never played in Deni - it could be an eye opener !

@centralwestrep no Idid not stick my hand up for the board . Despite my best efforts to gracefully fade away i have been bullied (lol) into a coaching role at City next year. Given the need to be impartial it didnt seem the right thing to do . I am however being involved with the sub committee that is looking at a strategic plan for the code and the zone. I look forward to seeing what we can do to make Rugby more relevant and accesible for the future.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
all comes down to player influx from the PALM. Pacific Australian Labour Mobility.
at least thats what was mentioned at the AGM

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I think the big thing is that SIRU just needs a plan . To me it seems we have been pretty happy just poking along doing the same thing because thats what worked in the past. We are no longer in that position . A plan for the game in the riverina and the zone is vital now. SIRU's job is not to prop up clubs or make the individual clubs stronger - thats the clubs themselves problem to solve. SIRU's job is to give the frame work of a meaningful competition with some degree of pathways from Juniors to senior rugby. The real detail is how to make that into action - hence a committee and the need for time to make this plan and submit it.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Also, I don't think I've read 1 article on SIRU Club Rugby since the GF but have read hundreds of articles in the DA on local Aussie Rules and Rugby League Clubs.
might need to look a bit harder i reckon mate. There have been articles covering the matches people in our zone have participared in. ACT country both mens and women, ACT Kestrals and Griffins, SIRU 7s, Capital 7s and the schoolboys and school girls competitions all covered.

not much else to talk on really IMO in this time of the year

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Sorry, I was unaware what a Kestral or a Griffin was ?? and I was referring to the lack of local Club coverage
what exactly do you want them to cover? nobody training or playing?

I'm not trying to be smart or dismissive. I suppose I've just got minimal interest in who won club awards or who is linked with who in November.

Also up to the clubs to spread new of what's happening if they think its newsworthy too. IMO

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
So Deni is moving from having no involvement last year (I think I’m right in saying that) to having a 1st grade team next year. I’m out of the loop. How is that possible? I mean how have they attained the quantity and quality of players. Just thinking of the draw - do they have 2nds and/or Womens?

Last edited:

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
So Deni is moving from having no involvement last year (I think I’m right in saying that) to having a 1st grade team next year. I’m out of the loop. How is that possible? I mean how have they attained the quantity and quality of players. Just thinking of the draw - do they have 2nds and/or Womens?
Apparently there are a substantial number of Fijians coming to Deni to work at the abattoirs and due to the type of visa they have there is a requirement that they be involved with local sport or activities. No idea of the quality.
Leeton will be their seconds and womens team and Deni will play a number of games in Leeton.
If Hay go to thirds this will mean there will be 8 teams in firsts, seconds and womens which will make the competition so much more easier to run.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Thanks Rep. Wow it will be good for the comp. We have trouble here at Griffith with shift work on Saturdays so I hope that doesn’t impact their no.s during the season.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd imagine that the fellas coaching rep footy will be the same people who put their hands up to coach rep footy each year.

No different to the guys who did their Level 3 coaching certificates, the people who typically want to do more with coaching will be appointed to the rep roles and i'd suggest that's a good thing.

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
2023 Draw has been released- plenty of Matches each Weekend and hardly any Byes

Link is listed below - Comp starts on April 15 - Bring it On !

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Merry Christmas and happy Festivus fellow GAGR's
Hopefully the fat man is good to us all with lots of champagne rugby and zero controversy,
If not, get around the "airing of grievances" Festivus tradition

and as Folkus has pointed out we have one present already. Lots of games and only one bye weekend!!!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Top 4's ? Little bit of a swing in the dark at this time of year !
I'd suggest Grifith , City and Aggies will be in the top half . Tahs are always in with a sniff . Albury and Tumut will be better i believe . Deni & Reddies will be keeping each other company i think.

Tough gig first up for City - but as i pointed out to someone , better to go to Griffith in April than July !

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Going on the recently released Draw it looks like Albury have got 3 Grades this year as well as their Women's Team . This suggests the Steamers might have a lot more depth in 2023 which is definitely a positive for them.
My Top 4 in no order is City and Griffith as definites and my maybes at this stage are Albury & Waratahs

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The SIRU board can only operate on information available. Devil’s advocate. 2nd half of the season. Question marks? Both Leeton teams. Phantoms and Dianas. Deniliquin. Reddies 2nds and 3rds. Albury 2nds and 3rds. Waratahs 3rds. Tumult 2nds. Hay were pretty dominant in 2nds last year. Will they completely overwhelm 3rd grade?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Juniors/Seniors thing for Wyalong, Coota, Temora etc was a decision made by the senior clubs to reduce their travel among other things. Ultimately they felt like that SW comp was a better fit for them and sat with the history of their clubs and regions better. Apologies to any SW folks if that’s not accurate but it’s the best summary I can think of.

I reckon a strong CSU adds value to the competition. The more the merrier.