• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2023

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I would be very very susprised if Reddies field 3's this year. I dont expect Tahs to field 3's or Tumut for that matter . I think you end up with City , Aggies , Albury , Hay Griffith in 3's. I would like to be wrong on this .

As for the juniors ? It makes no sense, because from the outside looking in its SIRU doing the development work and coalface promotions yet it would be reasonable to assume that none of those kids will go directly to play for a SIRU club! I'd love to see Young and Temora back in the fold !

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Re the Brumbies v Waratahs game in Griffith. Cricket in Griffith is centred around the Exies Sports Club. Feb 4 is half way through the summer season for that sport. In terms of getting the ground ready (before and after) I’m sure cricket in this community will be substantially interrupted by having the Super Rugby game at this venue at this time of the year. It is a major boost for the town but it does with comprimises.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
The Juniors/Seniors thing for Wyalong, Coota, Temora etc was a decision made by the senior clubs to reduce their travel among other things. Ultimately they felt like that SW comp was a better fit for them and sat with the history of their clubs and regions better. Apologies to any SW folks if that’s not accurate but it’s the best summary I can think of.

I reckon a strong CSU adds value to the competition. The more the merrier.
they also struggled with numbers and a 1 grade comp where they didnt need to travel to Hay suited them better.
Also stopped them from being pantsed 8-9 times per season.

I hate that they left, wish we had done more as a zone to help/keep them and have real hope the strategic committee can win some if not all of them back in the future.

PS regardless of the lack of promotional material it is awesome that SIRU get to host both the Brums trials this season. something we would never get to see regularly if we were part of tah land

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
i went to the AGM.
Clubs agreed that the deni leeton collection was a goer and the Tumut Hay collection was a goer.
3rd grade will happen as it falls in place.

There was absolutely no apetite for Hay to be in 2s. Creates another issue. byes. nobody wants multiple byes in 1sts and 2nds.

is it perfect, perhaps not but it is a far site better than last season and ALL the clubs agreed at the AGM

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Sounds like SIRU did a great job with the composition of teams and the draw. Things were done top down and as Mauler said 3rd grade falls where it falls. Deni/Leeton a gamble but should be fine from all reports. Tumut/Hay will be all good. Surely though the 3rd grade draw will be re-done. As Bubba said some clubs that have nominated 3rds will find it difficult. It causes issues when clubs over nominate. When Reddies came to Griffith at the end of last season they brought 19 players for 3 grades. They fulfilled their commitments of playing the 3 grades but as you could imagine 1st grade was a bit of a write off.

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
19 players for 3 Grades is maybe a great committment but these days is more a Duty Of Care issue for the Club

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Over past times members have played 2 and sometimes 3 games on a Saturday to keep a club going through tough times. Given duty of care Folkus what should the limit of playing be? On another note the field hosting the Super Rugby game on Feb 4 is hosting cricket games this weekend. I’m amazed a ground can be transformed so quickly.

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi PB - I don't think there is a limit for Senior players and Grades. I just believe it would be unfortunate if a player got badly hurt playing a fresh 1st Grade team after playing 2 earlier matches when he is nothing more than a 3rd Grade player but a great Club Man.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Does anyone know if the Brumbies Trail matches in Griffith this Saturday & Wagga the following Saturday will be streamed ?
Both Matches on BarTV. Vs Tahs at griffith and vs rebels at Wagga. on the front page of GAGR today. Also on Insta yesterday i think

Last edited:

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Finger food provided.
I am staggered at this.
Depends on what the aims of each event were. Griffith would have been to promote rugby. Wagga to fundraise.
Must be pretty fancy 'Finger Food'
May as well wait for the function to finish and meet the Players/ Coaches at the Bar

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Everything went to plan Reasoning. Great atmosphere. Must say the Brumbies seem like a good group to work with. They also came to a school where I work and were excellent with the kids as well(James Slipper among the players). Even Eddie turned up to have a look at the game on Saturday. From what I‘ve heard both clubs enjoyed their experience here and may return in the future. Bit disappointing to hear the Wagga game isn’t on at Connolly. I mean it is the centre piece of rugby in SIRU.

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Im like Folkus in that Ive only just now seen the cancellation. It wasn’t until I had looked at some FB pages that I saw the change of venue.

Last edited:

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
It was hot indeed ! The back of my legs are somewhat redder than what they should be !

Crowd ? I think they have got carried away with the use of the word 'big' here. The crowd was okay but certainly not the 6000 that elements of SIRU were forecasting . I'd have said 2000 max myself but i'm only a joe blow punter ...

The rugby played was good . The womens game saw a pretty physical and well drilled Rebels do a bit of a job on the brumbies . That said the brumbies did use 32 players and probably lacked cohesion . The local girls all did well from what i could see !

The mens was entertaining . Its interesting watching the speed of it. Everything just happens so much quicker ! And big bodies! Brumbies didnt field a lot of the big names but did enough to put rebels away. I thought the rebels looked good in much of the game but just didnt have the polish perhaps of the Brumbies. They're a physically big side and may do better in 2023 i feel. Or hope !

The beer was cold and the steak sangas plentiful. I was happy with that.

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
Saturday evening was a very enjoyable game. Good standard of rugby and great to see teams of this calibre in our region.
I thought the crowd was disappointing and perhaps having the game in Griffith the week before kept Wagga's crowd low.
Apparently Wagga Juniors are bringing the Classic Wallabies to town in May. Another celebration of rugby on the cards.