• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2023

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Taking over from Sportsbet here. $2.50 City / $4.00 Blacks / $6.00 Waratahs / $7.00 Aggies / $10.00 Deni / $12.00 Steamers / $15.00 Bulls / $30 Reddies. Maybe City a bit long and Blacks a bit short?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Early days but if it wasnt slightly unethical I'd take $2.50 happily.

I'm hearing that Tumuts numbers are good and those odds may be excellent value if thats the case. Also have heard Steamers have an influx of numbers as well.

For what its worth i think it will be a far tighter affair this year than the last few .

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
This is where Bulls, Steamers and Reddies have been disadvantaged in the past Bubba - as the season rolls on travel no.s decrease and some of 1sts have to fill in 2nds. That unfortunately then impacts your away season points. So if Bulls and Steamers have good no.s things maybe different this year. They have to sustain the no.s though. I don’t think 6/4 is too long City at this point in time.

Last edited:

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Its a numbers game . The more numbers you have the more quality players you are likely to have. Id wager a bet that if you looked at premiers over the last 15 years ( with one or two exceptions - Leeton and Albury spring to mind ) invariably they'd be clubs with the most registered players. And winning also has its effect in attracting players. Its hard to recruit quality players to a club that is perenially in the spoon room ! I spent quite a lot of time at the wrong end of the ladder !

Either way its good to see clubs reporting an influx of players. Its good for the game. And on that note , while i dont believe Eddie will win us a world cup i think eddie will get people talking rugby again and that can only be a good thing !

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
This is where Deni may have have an advantage in having only 1 team. Only 1 team to find no.s for.
No need for players to fill in for 2nds. Any news on how Deni is progressing?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Apparently there are concerns from SIRU with current player registrations in the pre-season for respective Clubs.The low number of Regos has put a number of Clubs on notice and if player Regos cannot support last year's Team Nominations then there will almost certainly be changes to the Men's Lower Grades & Women's Competition Draws. Clubs have until the end of the Month to provide accurate player Rego numbers so that SIRU can ratify the 2023 season Draws
Fair call.

SIRU can’t run a comp if the clubs don’t have the players.

I reckon player numbers across all codes are going to be low for a while.

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
M y mail is that some clubs are struglng with player numbers overall - possibly resultig in numerous changes to the original draws - not ideal but what do the Comp organisers do ? maybe wait until the Clubs know their final player numbers until the draws are released ? lets see wahat happens down the track

Last edited:

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
M y mail is that some clubs are struglng with player numbers overall - possibly resultig in numerous changes to the original draws - not ideal but what do the Comp organisers do ? maybe wait until the Clubs know their final player numbers until the draws are released ? lets see wahat happens down the track
who are you hearing mate?

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
NEW COACH FOR WARATAHS

Via Wagga Daily Advertiser

Nick McCarthy has returned to first grade coaching after a big change of plans at Waratahs.
McCarthy had come on board as an assistant coach under Jonno Andreou after being the head coach of the Southern Inland representative program since 2019.

However Andreou will not lead the Wagga side for a second season as first planned.
Instead he has taken on a coaching role with the Brumbies Super W side and a decision was made earlier this month to change their approach.
"The Super W came up and while I'm only doing a bit of skills coaching for them it is a good opportunity to learn from an ex-Wallabies player and an ex-rugby sevens player," Andreou said.
"Obviously I couldn't do both so the club decided to appoint Nick head coach, which is fine.
"I'd taken a step back lately with the Super W commitments, now I have no involvement with Waratahs and I'll wait until Super W is finished before I decide what to do."

McCarthy is no stranger to the Southern Inland coaching scene.
He returned to coach Ag College in the 2015 and 2016 seasons before becoming involved in the Southern Inland representative program.
He was a rep assistant coach from 2016 before stepping into the head coach role in 2019 but is enjoying the return to club land.
"I've enjoyed it so far as originally I was going to come on board as an assistant coach," McCarthy said.

"I was really excited to work with Jonno and add a bit of detail around the parts of the game he wanted some more input in, defence and set piece wise, but Jonno got offered a great opportunity with the Brumbies Super W program to come on board as a coach.
"That saw him have to split his time between Canberra and Wagga and I think it got a bit much time management wise for him so he made the decision he had to step back from Waratahs in order to fulfil that.
"There's some potential it might even lead into some Wallaroos involvement later in the year so it's a great opportunity for Jonno, we're really proud of what he's achieved as a coach and it shows the pathways are there for coaches in the zone as well."
After Waratahs went down in the preliminary final last season, the first time they didn't progress to the decider in eight seasons, McCarthy is looking to get the club back to their own lofty standards.
"It's our 65th anniversary year so it is a big year for the club and we're trying to build some depth and build the culture of the club," he said.
"Success is something Waratahs is pretty synonymous with and obviously the club was short of their own ambitions last year so I'm looking to put things in place to prepare the players as best as I can to succeed on the field as well as off the field."

Waratahs start their season with a clash against newcomers Deniliquin at Conolly Rugby Complex on April 15.
It will mark the return to the top grade for the Drovers, who didn't field a side in any competition last season, for the first time since 1999.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
now hearing Reddies struggling for a 2nds team
Waratahs 2nds are playing Ag College this Saturday in a 2nd Grade Trial whilst Reddies & Waratahs play each other in Trials for 1st Grade & Womens ?
hopefully a turn to the colder weather helps.
i did hear yesterday that Albury are struggling for a girls side?

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Female Coach Appointed for CSU Reddies

via DA

Georgia Roberts
will make Southern Inland history as the first female coach of a women's side.
After coaching CSU for all 10 years since the return of the women's competition, Andy Bedford has stepped down after guiding the club to premiership success last season.

Roberts knows she has big boots to fill, with CSU featuring in six of the last eight grand finals under Bedford, including premiership success in 2022 and 2018.

However she's looking forward to the challenge.
"I've learnt a lot from him (Bedford) and I'll take that into this year and see how we go," Roberts said.
"We've got a lot of players from last year still sticking around as well as some new players coming on board and hopefully I can teach them what he taught me."

Roberts had no idea she was treading a new path after stepping into the coaching role.
However being the first woman is something she is proud of.
"I hadn't really thought about it like that but it is going to be a big job and hopefully I can do it well," Roberts said.
"It is going out of my comfort zone a little bit as it's completely different playing to coaching but I have the knowledge and I know what I need to do on and off the field but actually teaching that to people and making sure I'm doing it right is a big thing to get my head around.
"Everyone at the club and the other coaches have been really supportive and are really excited so that's definitely helped me feel better about the whole thing.

"I'm excited, we will definitely go well and I just need to have confidence in myself."
The 28-year-old will have a double role this season with plans once more to take to the field.
However after a concussion issue last season it may be her last.
"I still want to play and I think it will probably be my last year playing and depending on what happens I might just go into a full-time coaching role next year," Roberts said.
CSU are set to have a similar line to last year's.
However she hopes having a little more depth will put them in a good place.

"I want to keep getting girls into the sport and hopefully lead well enough to get them to want to keep coming, keep learning more things and new things," Roberts said.
CSU won one of their three games at Boorowa on Saturday and will trial against Waratahs again this Saturday.
Roberts expects to have more talent at her disposal this weekend as well as the benefit of some experience for some of their newest members.
CSU will start their campaign with a clash against Albury at Murrayfield on April 15.

In other disappointing news the Leeton Women's Team has forfeited from this year's Competition, apparently the Men's numbers aren't great either with a number of players preferring to travel and play 1st Grade with other Clubs ?
Not good news for the SIRU Competition and from what I have been told the Leeton Club has been unsettled for several years now after their last 1st Grade premiership success. This is not good news for their current Juniors and long term existance overall.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Female Coach Appointed for CSU Reddies

via DA

Georgia Roberts
will make Southern Inland history as the first female coach of a women's side.
After coaching CSU for all 10 years since the return of the women's competition, Andy Bedford has stepped down after guiding the club to premiership success last season.

Roberts knows she has big boots to fill, with CSU featuring in six of the last eight grand finals under Bedford, including premiership success in 2022 and 2018.

However she's looking forward to the challenge.
"I've learnt a lot from him (Bedford) and I'll take that into this year and see how we go," Roberts said.
"We've got a lot of players from last year still sticking around as well as some new players coming on board and hopefully I can teach them what he taught me."

Roberts had no idea she was treading a new path after stepping into the coaching role.
However being the first woman is something she is proud of.
"I hadn't really thought about it like that but it is going to be a big job and hopefully I can do it well," Roberts said.
"It is going out of my comfort zone a little bit as it's completely different playing to coaching but I have the knowledge and I know what I need to do on and off the field but actually teaching that to people and making sure I'm doing it right is a big thing to get my head around.
"Everyone at the club and the other coaches have been really supportive and are really excited so that's definitely helped me feel better about the whole thing.

"I'm excited, we will definitely go well and I just need to have confidence in myself."
The 28-year-old will have a double role this season with plans once more to take to the field.
However after a concussion issue last season it may be her last.
"I still want to play and I think it will probably be my last year playing and depending on what happens I might just go into a full-time coaching role next year," Roberts said.
CSU are set to have a similar line to last year's.
However she hopes having a little more depth will put them in a good place.

"I want to keep getting girls into the sport and hopefully lead well enough to get them to want to keep coming, keep learning more things and new things," Roberts said.
CSU won one of their three games at Boorowa on Saturday and will trial against Waratahs again this Saturday.
Roberts expects to have more talent at her disposal this weekend as well as the benefit of some experience for some of their newest members.
CSU will start their campaign with a clash against Albury at Murrayfield on April 15.

In other disappointing news the Leeton Women's Team has forfeited from this year's Competition, apparently the Men's numbers aren't great either with a number of players preferring to travel and play 1st Grade with other Clubs ?
Not good news for the SIRU Competition and from what I have been told the Leeton Club has been unsettled for several years now after their last 1st Grade premiership success. This is not good news for their current Juniors and long term existance overall.
What a great story. Awesome to finally have a female coach in the zone!

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
KRAUTZ TO PLAY WITH WAGGA WARATAHS IN 2023

Via the DA

Liam Krautz feared his playing days were over after suffering a badly broken leg last season.
He needed to have three surgeries and had two plates and 19 screws inserted to stabilise the problem with fears he'd never even walk the same.

However the two-time Bill Castle Medal will make his return to the rugby field in 2023 but for a new club.

After playing with CSU last season while still based in Albury, Krautz has made a late move to Waratahs.
Krautz is looking forward to getting back in the game.
"I thought that was it," Krautz said.
"They said I probably wouldn't be running but I've done all my rehabilitation and have taken my fitness pretty seriously, as I always do, and I'm happy with where I'm at.
"I'm ready to give it a crack and get out there and be physical."

His relationship with new Waratahs coach Nick McCarthy was a big draw card.
McCarthy is thrilled to have him on board.
"To pick up one of the best players in the zone over the last decade is a really big bonus for the club this late in the piece," McCarthy said.

"I don't think there is any rugby club in the zone that would say no to having a guy of Liam's character and calibre involved in their club.
"We're really excited to see not only what he can achieve on the field for us but the way he can impart some of his leadership skills on our group as well."
Krautz won back-to-back Bill Castle Medals, the first with Albury in 2019 before making the move to CSU for the COVID-shortened 2020 season.
He has alternated between the two clubs since but has opted for a different approach by joining Waratahs.
"There's always been a rivalry between 'Tahs and everyone else but they have a great coaching staff and they always were a great bunch of blokes with great banter and a nice approach to rugby," Krautz said.
"It's pretty exciting to be a part of."
Liam Krautz playing for CSU last season.

Liam Krautz playing for CSU last season.
Krautz is looking at a return to his more familiar role as flanker this season starting with their trial on Saturday.
McCarthy believes Krautz will only add more depth to their forward pack.
"He is a real rugby person who epitomises all the good things about the game that we love and I think he will really add some of those qualities to our club and our playing group this year," he said.

"One of my theories around success in footy clubs is having big squads you can draw on at any point of time and we've got quite big plans around squad management this year and making sure we aren't just relying on 15 or 16 guys every weekend.
"We've got 25 or so we can trust and are all capable of rolling straight into first grade and roll that 'next man up' theory if something were to happen to one of our players we've got a ready made replacement there.

"It will be an interesting year for us around selections and the players are pretty excited about the fact we're going to build a pretty big squad to cover those weeks where things don't go to plan injury wise a lot better."

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
LEETON WOMEN WITHDRAW FROM COMPETITION

visa the DA

The Club President doesn't seem overly confident on their Men's numbers either - Agree with other contributers Leeton should play 3rd Grade this season to give that Competition 6 Teams

Leeton will field just one side across the four Southern Inland competitions after withdrawing their women's team.
The Phantoms will only take part in the second grade competition in 2023.

A lack of numbers was the main reason to pull out of the women's competition.

"Unfortunately from what I hear quite a few of the teams might be struggling a little bit for numbers this year and we're no different," Leeton president Ian Pascoe said.

"We've had a couple move interstate and a few others retire.
"We could maybe get a team for some weeks and not on other and rather than muck everyone around it is probably better for us to call it early, try to keep and bit of interest going and build back for next year."
While the Dianas, who didn't win a game last season, have a couple of new faces it doesn't outweigh the loss.
The Phantoms started last season in first grade but after consecutive forfeits did not take part in the second half of the season.

While the club is happy with their numbers, Pascoe doesn't believe it would have been sustainable in the top grade.
"We had a trial against Griffith last Friday night and we've been getting fairly consistent numbers to training as we get closer to the season," he said.
"We've got a few more guys coming along, I don't think they like pre-season as much as they enjoy getting on the scrum machine, but I think we should be pretty good for men's.

"We've got quite a few juniors that have come through in the men's and have a few young guys who are dispensated to play seconds but can't play firsts so seconds is a better home for us. We would lose three or four guys if we played up in firsts but we can play them in seconds."

Instead Leeton have aligned with Deniliquin in the draw.

After not playing at all last season, the Drovers will make their return to first grade for the first time since 1999.

Leeton will play as their second grade at away games with rival clubs to split across two venues for their home games.
Women's teams will now have a bye that weekend.

Meanwhile Southern Inland are set to have five teams take part in the third grade competition.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Rugby in Leeton is certainly struggling at a senior level. Are they going OK at a junior level? The kids are the future.

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
Rugby in Leeton is certainly struggling at a senior level. Are they going OK at a junior level? The kids are the future.
They are always strong in juniors and regularly have teams in all SIRU juniors competition. Their older teams draw from boarders at Yanco Ag and St Francis which may be an issue when they leave school and do not move onto seniors with the Phantoms.