• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

sports managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

country rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
some of you blokes who have been around for a while must have some opinions on who are decent sports managers in queensland. Any suggestions?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why would you need one before you are signed by a super franchise?
How many first contracts are for more than the minimum?
Answer very very few.
Value add of a player manager?
very very little.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why would you need one before you are signed by a super franchise?
How many first contracts are for more than the minimum?
Answer very very few.
Value add of a player manager?
very very little.
Correct and my understanding is that the ARU actually tell you there is no point in getting one for that very reason.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Have to disagree with the above. My son, left school a couple of years ago after achieving some rep honours, family is from outside of Sydney and had no knowledge of the ins and outs of what followed. He was approached by a manager who has been very good in advising him and helping him in his transition into senior footy in Sydney. He has also helped us, his parents, in having confidence that his interests are being looked after. All this for the total cost of no dollars. Understanding is that if after three years of senior club rugby the arrangement would be reviewed. The benefit for the manager is that for very little outlay he has laid the foundation of a very good relationship with a player that may succeed. If he doesn't no skin off anyone's nose. As a parent I appreciate the interest and work the manager has done in looking after him.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
country rugby I'm not one to advocate for a player manager. I've come across too many who are not interested in the players welfare and can't be found when there are issues in the players life. I think you're better off finding a decent club with someone who has an idea of developing players to higher honours.

Good to hear Iluvmyfooty thats the way they should all operate.

country rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jets, I also have that opinion about sports managers, but thought it was exploring when the club my boy is at doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.