• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like the dust has settled after the WC. First things first and starting with the coach. Look like Alaister Coetzee will be the new coach. 20 Players have been signing central contracts Damian de Allende, Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Beast Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Adriaan Strauss, Coenie Oosthuizen, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Marcell Coetzee, Siya Kolisi, Handré Pollard, Pat Lambie and Jan Serfontein.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Look like the dust has settled after the WC. First things first and starting with the coach. Look like Alaister Coetzee will be the new coach. 20 Players have been signing central contracts Damian de Allende, Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Beast Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Adriaan Strauss, Coenie Oosthuizen, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Marcell Coetzee, Siya Kolisi, Handré Pollard, Pat Lambie and Jan Serfontein.

The same Coetzee that was so successful with the Stormers? Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot!

There's a few key players not on that list, Kriel for starters.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
We have Ireland line up in June, 11th Newlands, 18th Ellispark, 25th PE.

England & Wales in Nov/Dec
SARugby
The Springboks will be aiming to build on an impressive record in London when they return to Twickenham next year to face England on their traditional end-of-year tour, when they will also be playing Wales in Cardiff.

The Rugby Football Union of England and the Welsh Rugby Union on Tuesday announced that they will host the Springboks in November next year.

South Africa will face England at Twickenham, where they played their Rugby World Cup quarter- and semi-finals earlier this year, on Saturday 12 November 2016 (kick-off 14h30 UK time, 16h30 SA time).

The Springboks will be aiming for their sixth successive victory over England at Twickenham, dating back to 25 November 2006.

Wales, beaten by the Springboks in a tough Rugby World Cup quarter-final recently, will host South Africa at the Principality Stadium (formerly Millennium Stadium) in Cardiff two weeks later, on Saturday 26 November 2016 (kick-off time TBC).

Details of the rest of the Springboks’ tour to the Northern Hemisphere in 2016 will be announced in due course.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The same Coetzee that was so successful with the Stormers? Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot!

There's a few key players not on that list, Kriel for starters.
Kriel havent made his debut? It have to be a coach of colour and AC it will be.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Meyer gone
SS
Meyer quits Springbok job03 December 2015, 10:40
Tweet

Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer has decided to walk away from the national coaching job.

Supersport.com has exclusively learnt the Bok coach will announce his intention not to have his coaching contract renewed later Thursday.

Meyer has informed the South African Rugby Union of his intention not to have his contract renewed when it runs out on 31 December this year.

Meyer did an about turn after announcing after the Springbok’s 3rd place finish at this year’s Rugby World Cup that he wanted to carry on – “to make a difference” as he put it.

But the public outcry, some of the vitriol directed at him and his family and the comments made by various rugby personalities about his coaching caused him to rethink.

Meyer spent some time away with his family over the past month where he discussed the position with them and according to supersport.com’s information, decided to put them first.

SARU’s General Council will still meet on December 11 but it will no longer be to review Meyer’s position as coach and the way forward. Instead they will need to get to work at finding a new Springbok coach to take the team forward.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'll miss his anthem work.

What's the thinking on this in SA Paarl? Good or bad?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'll miss his anthem work.

What's the thinking on this in SA Paarl? Good or bad?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
He had to go. Only the Bulls lot want him to stay.

Myself know that the new coach have to be a coach of colour and that will be AC.

That will be a step back , he coach exactly the same gameplan then HM.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Transformation first priority.
S24
New Springbok coach has free reign, but...

Cape Town - Whoever the next Springbok coach is will enter the job knowing that making strides in transformation is his - or her - primary mandate.
Anything less than winning a Rugby World Cup is considered a failure by the South African Rugby Union (SARU), but the implication from president Oregan Hoskins on Friday was that performance will fall behind transformation on South African rugby's list of priorities over the next four years.
"Whoever wants to apply for the job needs to know that transformation is going to be on top of his agenda, or else he shouldn’t apply," Hoskins said.
"We as an organisation are going to have to be much, much harder than we’ve ever been. We don’t have another opportunity. We’ve signed an agreement with the sports governing body in the country (SASCOC) and the ministry and we believe in it. So as a sport we need to go forward with that in mind."
The agreement that Hoskins was speaking of states that the Springboks will have 50/50 player representation by 2019.
Transformation is an area where outgoing coach Heyneke Meyer failed to win over his critics, and that is something that Hoskins and SARU are not prepared to let happen again.
But, at what point does administrative interference become too much? It is, after all, the coach who is tasked with selecting the side most capable of winning matches.
"You will recall that when Peter de Villiers became the coach, SARU had taken a decision that the president and the leadership should not interfere with selection," said Hoskins.
"That’s still the policy at the moment. It’s always been a case of the coach selecting the team and we haven’t changed that policy. We might have to look at it going forward but that wasn’t the case for the last two coaches."
According to Hoskins, Meyer was fully aware of the transformation policies and ambitions of SARU.
"When you’re an administrator you’re asked to administer the game and you appoint coaches to select a team, and you put your faith in those coaches," he said.
"In terms of best practice, I think that is the right thing to do. Sometimes I do, as president of SARU, I stand back, and I question the fact that more players of colour should have played.
"That’s my own experience as a South African, so I’m not disaffected by what happens. I come from a background where I want to see that happening more and more, but there is a thin line between interfering in the team because of the moral imperative that we require more transformation... where do I draw the line in terms of interference?
"You find that, as an administrator, you might play the player of colour over the white player. But then it’ll probably go into ‘I prefer this flyhalf to that flyhalf’, and it doesn’t end. So I might as well be the president/coach/selector ... and I don’t think that’s going to happen."
So, it appears that the next coach will still have free reign to select the side that he wants. As long as it's not the wrong one.
"It is an important issue, it was important when we signed that agreement with SASCOC and with government, and we have a duty to stick to our side of the agreement," said Hoskins.
SARU is set to meet on December 11 where they will map out the process of appointing the new Springbok coach.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Transformation first priority.
S24

That justification is just so self-serving that it takes your breath away. "We let the coach pick the team as long as its not the wrong one". Expect a whole bucket of white players will now head overseas, knowing they won't be picked on merit. The flood will become an absolute torrent.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Myself know that the new coach have to be a coach of colour and that will be AC.

This seems absolutely unacceptable to most "chicken runners". You locals are much more adaptable to ridiculous political interference.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
That justification is just so self-serving that it takes your breath away. "We let the coach pick the team as long as its not the wrong one". Expect a whole bucket of white players will now head overseas, knowing they won't be picked on merit. The flood will become an absolute torrent.

It is quite frustrating that there is no reaction or comment on this from any of the sport's governing bodies - IRB, SANZAR etc. They all just seem happy to sit back and accept political interference in the selection of these teams.

FIFA (Yes, they are the laughing stock of the world as a governing body with all the corruption, but the point still remains) have a policy whereby they can suspend football federations where they deem that there has been political interference in the running of these federations, and they have done so in the past. They often give these warnings publicly when governments announce that they may intervene in any aspect of the running of a federation.

Suspension of a union is obviously a very drastic step, but the least we could ask for from rugby's governing bodies is that they publicly state their disapproval of political interference in the running of SARU and specifically in team selection! Instead, they choose to sit back and accept it.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Just came to see the reaction in this. Looks like no one gives a shit. Well I'm done with SA sport. As a SA fan, you either need to give up or find a new team to support, unless you are a masochist - or you are in government.

Cheers, I'm out.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Genuinely feel for Bok supporters.

No coach with half a brain would sign themselves up for that fall. You must win the World Cup but you're not allowed to pick your best team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You guys dont have to be so negative. This is the reality kicking in. Trust me our hockey Proteas are in a far more bad state. They were force to select on numbers by our Olympic Committee (Sascoc) and now they cant go do Rio because they dont perform on their merit rankings altho they qualified on FIH requirements via Africa continent. No wonder my kid want to play hockey for the Aussies.

Groentrein

Frank Row (1)
What are people's thoughts on changing the name of the team? You almost have to imagine that it's going to come up sooner or later.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
ZAR has taken a pounding lately, it's sitting at over 15 to 1 USD.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=ZAR&view=1Y

The players in SA will be conscious that they could be making relative fortunes overseas on the exchange rate unless salaries in SA adjust. Combine that with the looming 50:50 selection criteria and I know the choice I'd make. Maybe we have the depth to handle this, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.