• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies: Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well this one is next on my beloved Newlands and sure will pack the oxwagon to watch it live. Have my two box tickets and if Blue can book his plane tickets, I'll take you there.

The Wallabies sure will be fresh and ready for this one and myself rate Deans as the best coach and sure will have his planning all ready for the Bokke.

Myself think the backs will play one huge role in this match and I am expecting the Wallaby backs a handfull as usual. Their forwards also much more rugbywise and not that direct we usually get from the All Blacks.

The Springbokke will take the tests one at a time but they sure have everything favour them at this moment. That maybe their biggest problem called complacency. Lucky it vibes from camp Springbok sound like they will not fall in that trap and even Snor warning against this. There are some experience players there who have done it, fall into it way to often in the past , so holding tumbs we just keep on doing what we do at the moment and just try to up the ente from the previous week.

Things that give me confidense in the Boks is the way newbies like everyone, newbies and current players slot in the gameplan and just a few twists bneeded. Wont change the starting team but I'd like to see Bekker get more gametime on Newlands. His type of play is more what you want against the Wallabies and I am sure Jean will be a big factor this weekend. This might be his last game on his beloved Newlands and expecting nothing less then a top performance from our Stormers captain.

Will also be interesting to see who Deans will pick in 15. That might decide the Bokke gameplan but I'd love to see them playing more wide this time. We havent saw the full potential from the Bokke backs.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The Wallabies should win by 25-30 points. The Boks are the dullest side in world rugby next to Italy. Their attacking options are kick, kick, kick, drop goal, kick and kick. Did you see Victor Matfield chip kick 22 metres out from the Kiwi line ? :lmao:

They think they are the benchmark. For smugness, maybe. The Wallabies will kick the stuffing out of them playing total rugby. Our set pieces are rock solid, not like the fragile Kiwis. Our tactics and game plan are second to none and will give the negative Boks no mistakes to feed off. The Lions tore the Bok defence to pieces. Imagine the orifice damage once Mortlock & Co get to work. The Bok backline will cop it like a league groupie.

The Boks are great front runners. Once the Wallabies get on top and get some momentum with ball in hand rugby, the soft underbelly of the Bokke will be exposed.

The Boks will be thanking their lucky stars that the inept Alain Rolland is refereeing. He has a better chance of containing the glorious Wallaby attack than the Springbok defence do. And South Africa will probably only get 1 or 2 yellows, rather than their usual half dozen.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Amazing confidence Naz.

Personally, I think we'll get humped and shown up as a soft pack.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thanks for the invite oom but my next trip to SA will likely be for the soccer if the promised tickets surface.

As for the game I think it's very hard indeed to call.

Good things about this Bok team:
- The back row starting to really look good. Juan Smit back on form and Spies is now really starting to play like an 8 as opposed to a retreaded winger.
- Scrum getting better and better all the time. Woddcock pushed Smit back for the first two scrums last week and Smittie recovered beatifully.
- Frans Steyn looking very solid and its been a long time since his last brain explosion. Looks more mature.
- Jacques Fourie is playing excellent rugby and breaks the line often.
- The physicality is right up there
- Kicking game is on song

Worrying things:
- Tendency to kick when uncertain about what else to do. The old evil.
- Ball runners often get isolated - Blacks did not exploit this once. Wobblies will kill us.
- Jean de Villers looks badly out of form. His passing was terrible and his option taking worse and I have never seen him slip so many tackles.
- First up tackling at time crap but the scramblign is excellent as ever

I think th Wallaby pack is underdone. However, I have thought that before and they manned up. I think the Wallabies will play a much more conservative game plan than their fans will be hoping for (sorry Spiro and Co). Deans would be wary of the Boks counter attacking.

Boks will keep it even tighter than last week and if the Wallabies can man up they have a good chance of the upset becuase their kicking game is far superior to the ABs.

Boks to take it in a tight affair with very few tries scored.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
naza said:
The Boks will be thanking their lucky stars that the inept Alain Rolland is refereeing. He has a better chance of containing the glorious Wallaby attack than the Springbok defence do. And South Africa will probably only get 1 or 2 yellows, rather than their usual half dozen.
You get your normal ref and yellows up pretty quick. :lmao:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Blue said:
Spies is now really starting to play like an 8 as opposed to a retreaded winger.

:lmao: I thought you said "retarded winger" and I was wondering what the difference is :lmao:

I think for sheer pace your outside backs probably have us as well. That's why the scramble is so good.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
naza said:
The Wallabies should win by 25-30 points. The Boks are the dullest side in world rugby next to Italy. Their attacking options are kick, kick, kick, drop goal, kick and kick. Did you see Victor Matfield chip kick 22 metres out from the Kiwi line ? :lmao:

They think they are the benchmark. For smugness, maybe. The Wallabies will kick the stuffing out of them playing total rugby. Our set pieces are rock solid, not like the fragile Kiwis. Our tactics and game plan are second to none and will give the negative Boks no mistakes to feed off. The Lions tore the Bok defence to pieces. Imagine the orifice damage once Mortlock & Co get to work. The Bok backline will cop it like a league groupie.

The Boks are great front runners. Once the Wallabies get on top and get some momentum with ball in hand rugby, the soft underbelly of the Bokke will be exposed.

I almost want the Wallabies to lose now.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Two controversial comments:

1) I'd start Pocock at openside. I think he is better equipped to counter Brossow than either of the elder statesmen, Smith or Waugh. Smith could either be rested (off the bench) or revert to 6. But I think Pocock's stronger, more physical, on ball game may be needed here.

2) Is Mortlock fast becoming a liability? He doesn't look as dominant anymore and looks slightly off the pace. Options? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the front runner, but that means Drew must play 15. Cross? Solid but I'd probably prefer Stirlo. Oh for the great Qlder Digby.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Noddy said:

1) I'd start Pocock at openside. I think he is better equipped to counter Brossow than either of the elder statesmen, Smith or Waugh. Smith could either be rested (off the bench) or revert to 6. But I think Pocock's stronger, more physical, on ball game may be needed here.

2) Is Mortlock fast becoming a liability? He doesn't look as dominant anymore and looks slightly off the pace. Options? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the front runner, but that means Drew must play 15. Cross? Solid but I'd probably prefer Stirlo. Oh for the great Qlder Digby.

1. Maybe i think australia needs to do something to change it up a bit.

2. no

3. genia should start

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Noddy said:

So it's a choice between the seasoned professional who is in good form and the guy who has played a couple of tests off the bench? I know who I'd pick. I think you'd be best served with Pocock joining Smith after 50 or 60.

I wouldn't write Stirling off yet. He pulls out big games against the Boks.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
During the Sa NZ match I was thinking what if we played a small backrow and had a 2nd rower sent to the sin bin?

Could easily happen with Horwill sent for punching or Sharpe for a deliberate forward pass. Unless they were able to pull a razor out to get Mumm on as a blood bin, we would have to use an early replacement and sacrifice one of the backrowers. Just a thought.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
the gambler said:
During the Sa NZ match I was thinking what if we played a small backrow and had a 2nd rower sent to the sin bin?

Could easily happen with Horwill sent for punching or Sharpe for a deliberate forward pass. Unless they were able to pull a razor out to get Mumm on as a blood bin, we would have to use an early replacement and sacrifice one of the backrowers. Just a thought.

First time I read that I almost thought you had said "when Horwill punches Sharpe for a deliberate forward pass". Almost fell off my chair but then I thought that scenario isn't entirely out of the question. It would be preceded by "How many times do I have to ask you to hit a ruck you seagulling poof." :fishing

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i reckon we drop pocock altogether, have kimlin at 6, brown on bench.
brown is better suited for test rugby coming on with 15/20 to go.

turner to fullback, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13, mitchell and hynes on the wings.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Drop Mitchell to the bench put in Hynes. The Boks are going to rain down the bombs on Mitchell after his efforts against the All Blacks.

Hopefully Deans will rethink his 5-2 bench
• Mumm can cover 2nd row and blindside flanker
• Wether it's Pocock or Waugh as openside cover is the big question

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

turner to fullback, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13, mitchell and hynes on the wings.

Mortlock will play but he has to become more involved I hope Deans picks Cross on the bench as I wouldn't mind Mortlock being dragged if he goes missing.

I'd prefer Hynes in the back 3 over Mitchell because he so safe under the high ball.

Pocock & Mumm on the bench & drop Waugh for Ryan Cross.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Blue said:
the gambler said:

First time I read that I almost thought you had said "when Horwill punches Sharpe for a deliberate forward pass". Almost fell off my chair but then I thought that scenario isn't entirely out of the question. It would be preceded by "How many times do I have to ask you to hit a ruck you seagulling poof." :fishing

:lmao:

I wish I was that funny.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Springbok team is (Test caps in brackets):

15. Frans Steyn (32)
14. JP Pietersen (28)
13. Jaque Fourie (47)
12. Jean de Villiers (50)
11. Bryan Habana (50)
10. Morné Steyn (5)
9. Fourie du Preez (48)
8. Pierre Spies (24)
7. Juan Smith (59)
6. Heinrich Brüssow (6)
5. Victor Matfield (85)
4. Bakkies Botha (59)
3. John Smit (86) – Captain
2. Bismarck du Plessis (26)
1. Tendai Mtawarira (15)

Reserves:

16. Chiliboy Ralepelle (6)
17. Jannie du Plessis (9)
18. Andries Bekker (16)
19. Danie Rossouw (40)
20. Ricky Januarie (37)
21. Ruan Pienaar (31)
22. Adi Jacobs (24)

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
PaarlBok said:
The Springbok team is (Test caps in brackets):

15. Frans Steyn (32)
14. JP Pietersen (28)
13. Jaque Fourie (47)
12. Jean de Villiers (50)
11. Bryan Habana (50)
10. Morné Steyn (5)
9. Fourie du Preez (48)
8. Pierre Spies (24)
7. Juan Smith (59)
6. Heinrich Brüssow (6)
5. Victor Matfield (85)
4. Bakkies Botha (59)
3. John Smit (86) – Captain
2. Bismarck du Plessis (26)
1. Tendai Mtawarira (15)

Reserves:

16. Chiliboy Ralepelle (6)
17. Jannie du Plessis (9)
18. Andries Bekker (16)
19. Danie Rossouw (40)
20. Ricky Januarie (37)
21. Ruan Pienaar (31)
22. Adi Jacobs (24)

merchants of death.....

i'm officially nervous :binkybaby

D

D

disco said:

Mortlock will play but he has to become more involved I hope Deans picks Cross on the bench as I wouldn't mind Mortlock being dragged if he goes missing.

I'd prefer Hynes in the back 3 over Mitchell because he so safe under the high ball.

Pocock & Mumm on the bench & drop Waugh for Ryan Cross.

The problem I have with Ryan Cross is that although he is a very good super 14 player, he just seems out of his element in the internationals. It always looks to me that he takes the wrong option. He holds onto the ball too long, or not long enough. Mortlock is having a decent season, he does need to get more involved though. Give Burgess one more chance. I'm fed up with him, but hopefully it was just an off game. If he has another shocker, then we are toast!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.