• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ash, the memory is struggling these days, but I don't recall Palmer playing the last couple of games this year. I am sure that either Benny A or JP Smith was on the TH side and Scott Sio was LH at the end of the season. I was pretty sure that Dan remained on the injured list to the end of the season. Would be surprised if otherwise but willing to be corrected.

Apologies, was being lazy. Should have been "last couple of games that Palmer played", as indeed you are right that JP Smith was there at the end, and Ruan Smith before JP before Ruan was injured.

The last game that Palmer played was vs the Rebels round 17 (had to check, couldn't remember!), where he was injured again just before the Lions series. Pretty sure Palmer came back earlier from injury than expected that round because I recall him struggling in the scrums and I remember being surprised. Before that Palmer played the Crusaders round 12. I thought he picked up his foot injury earlier than round 12, though, which shows how flakey my memory is.

Incidentally, I think that Palmer is technically our best tight head when fully fit. I think the latter bit of the statement is why he shouldn't be recalled at the moment.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
slight sidetrack, from the limited pics last night cape town looks a beautiful place. It even made me wonder about a visit with the missus.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
slight sidetrack, from the limited pics last night cape town looks a beautiful place. It even made me wonder about a visit with the missus.

Do it. I've been to Cape Town and been to Newlands also. Fabulous city and so is the surrounding countryside. I'm sure Paarlbok will give you the low down on all the good bits, but I had a fantastic time there.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Even though we probably won't win, I just get the feeling this is the game where we might click as a team and turn out a team performance.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
as indeed you are right that JP Smith was there at the end, and Ruan Smith before JP before Ruan was injured.
Easy to get confused by the Paarl Twins. ;)

Raining at the moment, going to be a wet field, forward tussle and the 9 & 10s playing an important role. Luckily we have FdP, he is going to be important for the Bokke.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
This I have the feeling is going to be an incredibly close match. A 1-point win will do.

I like the continuity in the Bok team this year. It is nice to be able to recite the lineup before it has been announced and any returning player will have to earn his spot (F. Steyn in particular).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Incidentally, I think that Palmer is technically our best tight head when fully fit. I think the latter bit of the statement is why he shouldn't be recalled at the moment.
Palmer is yet to play out a full season of pro rugby, in the end to be a good prop you have to be on the field

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Palmer is yet to play out a full season of pro rugby, in the end to be a good prop you have to be on the field

AND has to get over the "Pot Plant" tag
mckenzie expects his props to work hard around the field as well as scrum time - case in point is Robbo - bet he puts in a huge effort tonight across the park.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
AND has to get over the "Pot Plant" tag
mckenzie expects his props to work hard around the field as well as scrum time - case in point is Robbo - bet he puts in a huge effort tonight across the park.

It isn't that Robbo doesn't do a lot, his stats in the B&I matches were as good as any props, the issue is that the coaches know he can be better than most and hold up that scrum.

The pot plant issue is an interesting one, we need one (two actually), a dirty big strong THP who can lock the scrum for 40 minutes.

While we continue to go the work rate option we will continue to be just an average test side, the new engagement makes hiding behind an early hit at scrum time near impossible

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
This is a bit off topic but I couldn't find a more appropriate discussion forum for this so i figured id put it on the game thread. I haven't posted much since the loss of the third lions test mainly due to my general disappointment in the performance of our team. I must says I enjoyed reading an article this morning where Cooper discusses JOCs behavior. Cooper's comments suggest he has actually matured somewhat and actually took his time away from the wallabies to try better himself and become a team player. Certainly actions speak loud than words, but this was heartening to read. Since Deans took over the Wallabies have suffered from a culture problem IMO and guys like JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper, Beale etc putting themselves before the jersey has hurt us badly. Its nice to think Cooper has come through that and wants to be a team player.

Good luck to Cooper and the team this evening. Cant see them winning but im hoping theyll be competitive.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll take a pot plant who can scrummage over a more "athletic" prop any day...

Amen. I don't give a toss if he jogs from play to play, makes to odd tackle because he might be accidentally in the way and if he is close enough hit the ruck like a madman. Oh and lift in the lineout. Sometimes but not if it interferes with his resting regime. There are 5 other blokes who can lift and they have better VO Max becuase that's what they need to do. Breathe and all that jazz. But when my TH packs down in a scrum or a driving maul he has to leave no doubts.

Running in open play is a just for show. He may look spectacular from time to time but that's only because he weighs 120 kgs and it's hard to stop if it loses its balance going forward. 5th grade physics. Enough flexibility in the hips and shoulders to lay the ball back is enough. We're not doing yoga here.

Loosehead is a different issue.

Australia's problem is that you think a TH needs to be a footballer who does fancy pants running and linking and covering and switch plays and running lines and linking between forwards and backs and backs and forwards and forwards and forwards and all manner of other unholy, unspeakable shit. Look where's that's got you. Give me a lump of immovable flesh who opposing looseheads truly and honestly fear when they lie in bed at night Thanks very much. Everything else is like seconds of the best pudding served by someone good looking who also happens to be naked and asks me what I'd like to do after the double single malt. I don't really need all of that but it's nice so I fall for it like a real twat.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
agree with a lot of that but our current front row of slipper, moore and alexander (maybe not Kepu) seem to make as many if not more tackles as the back row.

IF those blokes are not working as hard the back 3 better stand up and make another 4/5 tackles EACh, every game. Otherwise we all will be whinging about them and the tries they let in.

I agree we need a THP to really lock down the scrum but as these new scrummaging laws become more familar to front rows and front row play IMO will be redefined into a 'looser" role

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nobody else to blame when you turnover the ball so much, really. Sure there are one-off players who just screw up or are overwhelmed, but most of it is down to the loose 5.

God we are missing Pocock and Palu.

PommyPowerhouse3

Frank Nicholson (4)
Remember the days when if The Wallabies versed The Springboks everybody thought (KNEW!!!!) we were going to put 30 on them. Hopefully the Wallabies can return to this form and hopefully tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.