• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Bok defence was immense, Strauss had a real 'captain's knock' and was the best player on the park with Etzbeth. Wallaby scrum really disintergrated once the starters went off. Morne has some solid-ass defence to go with his kicking boot too.

Haven't seen the stats but looks like another game where the Wallabies dominated possession and territory but lose the match.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
We really away in the 2nd half. Chieka should have subbed earlier, particularly genia.

Cooper was poor all game, folau likewise. Simmons should have played himself out of the squad tonight.

Another poor performance at the breakdown and lack of support for runners. Just fucking frustrating we handed.the game to the boks.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
No, i can quite clearly see your atrocious spelling and continuous referee bashing. The Wallabies are losing because they are not taking their chances. We've had chances to score tries and kick penalty goals but hey it's the referees fault isn't it?
If you think that Foley being shouderd and players can be tackled without the ball while trying to score a try is OK then good on you.
Well done English teacher. Don't attack someone like that. It's not cool and will surley get you banned from the forum. Can't spell? I've had 15 beers and am typing fast on my phone. Such a dooch bag

At least we scored a try and looked look scoring a few times. Unlike the boks. That was a poor game of rugby

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

M

Moono75

36 minute mark first half. McMahon came flying through to tackle, slipped and knee or ankle got caught awkwardly. Hope everything is OK as he was our best in the first half.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You have a preference for goals over tries?
Sick of the constant Cooper bagging every match. The captain would've been the guy calling for the shots to be taken and at the time, 3 pts would've put us in front.

The video review session of this match won't be pretty. We bombed it due to multiple players making errors at crucial moments.

Back to the drawing board to sort out the lineout too.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Bugger. The game was there for the Wobs.

They had enough possession and field position to win 3 tests. Credit to the Bokke and their defence.

Whiteley, Louw, Etsebeth & Strauss set a good platform for Bokke.

Hooper, Genia and McMahon, when he was on, were our best.

Back to the drawing board for the men in gold.

It seems to be a consistent problem. Even with possession and territory they just cant score. With two play-makers, and guys that can run and break the line like DHP, Folau, Kerevi and Hodge you have to start questioning what going on.

I wonder if this one is more about reaping what you sow - we did take a big boot in specifically for long range shots.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gosh. Where to start? Some good things, some not so good things. Yet again we dominate possession and look dangerous right until the moment we're in there 22. After that we're headless chooks.

Moore had a better game tonight. Not so sure about him playing the full 80 at altitude - why have Hanson on the bench Cheika if you don't trust him enough to use him?

Kepu had a good game, as did Sio. Slipper gave away too many scrum penalties when on, Robertson was ok.

Simmons. I've never understood him and never will. Workrates fine but other 2nd rowers can provide that. Both him and Mumm seem to fall over at the mere thought of contact. Nup. Those two are supposed to reinforce the lineout, but howd that work? We seriously seriously seriously need to get a handle on the set piece - you can't build momentum or win a game when you're constantly turning the ball over.

McMahon had a cracker until he got injured, Hooper energetic as always. Not as effective tonight but still one of the Wallabies best forwards as per usual.

I liked what I saw from Fardy and Coleman. Liked is a relative term in this context. What I mean is that I liked what I saw from Fardy and Coleman more than what I saw from other Wallabies forwards. Coleman didn't have the best night ball carrying though.

Douglas added some starch in defense but no more silly knock ons please. They're coach killers.

Genia started fantastically and didn't stray far from that. I think he overplayed his hand a bit too much and wanted to go himself often when there were better options. Still hate how his first reaction after a turnover is to box kick. Thats probably as per instruction however.

Cooper was uninspiring. Some good, some bad. Some good runs / passes let down by forward passes / passes to no one. Foley was much the same, although he really stepped up in defence tonight and made a couple of good runs.

Kerevi was strong as per usual and Kuridrani hasn't been letting down off the bench. Two good options there.

DHP had a great game tonight. I was disappointed to see him subbed.

Hodge was decent. Not much of a winger, but he's put there to play a role and that role is to defend like a champ in the centre channel and to lend the team his monstrous boot when they need it. Missed 3 from 3, but I thought Moore was getting a bit carried away when he elected for him to kick. The first one from 65+m and the other two from close to the sidelines. Let him build confidence with a few easier kicks (e.g. a 50m from infront) and then test him.

Folau. At what stage do we drop him? He's in a real rough patch of form at the moment. DHP was far better and perhaps Naivalu/DHP/Hodge is stronger than DHP/Folau/Hodge. The only positive here is that his kicking from the back was far improved tonight, but everyones kicking looked good at altitude. Foley even had some big roasts down field.

I'd like to see us revert to more traditional roles in the pack next week. We could have really used the go forward a bigger 8 would've provided there in the second half (McMahon provided solid go forward when he was on). At the end we had Douglas / Mumm / Coleman / Fardy on the field. Those 4, and Simmons, provide absolutely nothing in terms of ball carrying.

I want to see:

Sio / Moore / Kepu
Douglas / Coleman
Fardy / Timani / Hooper
Genia / Cooper
Foley / Kerevi
DHP / Folau / Hodge

Reserves:

Slipper / Hanson / Robertson
McMahon / ?
Phipps / Naivalu / Kuridrani

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not the best of games, but everyone here knew what type of game it was going to be.

The Boks were never interested in being too enterprising. They simply needed a win, the coach more so than anyone else. His ass is on the line. So we take a step or two forward and several back so we can beat a fairly average Australian side.

Let's face it; both sides are not what they should or could be at the moment.

Springboks NEVER looked like scoring. I'm just glad Morne played and that your Frans Steyn missed all his kicks.

Don't be too hard on him though because kicks like those are 50/50 and he could have been the match winner for Australia today. If you don't entrust him with those opportunities you'll break his confidence just as much so it's better he gets match experience with those kicks. F. Steyn has missed his fair share as well.

That kind of player keeps the opposition on their toes because teams nowadays commit penalties in order to stop the attacking team's momentum. If they know they may gift 3 points they might be reluctant to commit those penalties - this allows the attacking team to continue with their momentum.

Doubt as it's called.

Sorry Australia for the terrible game.

T

TOCC

Folau has been very poor by his standards, he isn't breaking tackles, he is making poor decisions, he looks to have lost all confidence when it comes to running the ball and has forgotten how to hit a gap.,

I'm not saying he is crap and should be dropped, but he is well out of form and something needs to be done to address that, maybe swapping him and DHP and letting Folau get back to the basics on the wing.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wallabies had plenty of chances but didn't take them and has ended up costing them.

There were at least 3 chances in the Bok 22 that should have been converted but weren't and then you look at the 9 points Hodge left out on the field, granted some tough shots. Compare that to Steyn, who was kicking in his former back yard.

The work on our attacking ball in the ruck was again poor allowing numerous turonvers from Louw and Strauss that allowed the Boks to get away with it in the end.

Certainly one that got away.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
Gosh. Where to start? Some good things, some not so good things. Yet again we dominate possession and look dangerous right until the moment we're in there 22. After that we're headless chooks.

Moore had a better game tonight. Not so sure about him playing the full 80 at altitude - why have Hanson on the bench Cheika if you don't trust him enough to use him?

Kepu had a good game, as did Sio. Slipper gave away too many scrum penalties when on, Robertson was ok.

Simmons. I've never understood him and never will. Workrates fine but other 2nd rowers can provide that. Both him and Mumm seem to fall over at the mere thought of contact. Nup. Those two are supposed to reinforce the lineout, but howd that work? We seriously seriously seriously need to get a handle on the set piece - you can't build momentum or win a game when you're constantly turning the ball over.

McMahon had a cracker until he got injured, Hooper energetic as always. Not as effective tonight but still one of the Wallabies best forwards as per usual.

I liked what I saw from Fardy and Coleman. Liked is a relative term in this context. What I mean is that I liked what I saw from Fardy and Coleman more than what I saw from other Wallabies forwards. Coleman didn't have the best night ball carrying though.

Douglas added some starch in defense but no more silly knock ons please. They're coach killers.

Genia started fantastically and didn't stray far from that. I think he overplayed his hand a bit too much and wanted to go himself often when there were better options. Still hate how his first reaction after a turnover is to box kick. Thats probably as per instruction however.

Cooper was uninspiring. Some good, some bad. Some good runs / passes let down by forward passes / passes to no one. Foley was much the same, although he really stepped up in defence tonight and made a couple of good runs.

Kerevi was strong as per usual and Kuridrani hasn't been letting down off the bench. Two good options there.

DHP had a great game tonight. I was disappointed to see him subbed.

Hodge was decent. Not much of a winger, but he's put there to play a role and that role is to defend like a champ in the centre channel and to lend the team his monstrous boot when they need it. Missed 3 from 3, but I thought Moore was getting a bit carried away when he elected for him to kick. The first one from 65+m and the other two from close to the sidelines. Let him build confidence with a few easier kicks (e.g. a 50m from infront) and then test him.

Folau. At what stage do we drop him? He's in a real rough patch of form at the moment. DHP was far better and perhaps Naivalu/DHP/Hodge is stronger than DHP/Folau/Hodge. The only positive here is that his kicking from the back was far improved tonight, but everyones kicking looked good at altitude. Foley even had some big roasts down field.

I'd like to see us revert to more traditional roles in the pack next week. We could have really used the go forward a bigger 8 would've provided there in the second half (McMahon provided solid go forward when he was on). At the end we had Douglas / Mumm / Coleman / Fardy on the field. Those 4, and Simmons, provide absolutely nothing in terms of ball carrying.

I want to see:

Sio / Moore / Kepu
Douglas / Coleman
Fardy / Timani / Hooper
Genia / Cooper
Foley / Kerevi
DHP / Folau / Hodge

Reserves:

Slipper / Hanson / Robertson
McMahon / ?
Phipps / Naivalu / Kuridrani
Regarding Folau and Hodge- Folau at his absolute attacking worst still provides more than Hodge, Hodge is basically in the team for his long range kicking and even that failed.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Folau didn't play that badly. John Eales made the point pre-game that he has so often been the only real attacking option in the back-line. There aren't many other threats for defences to be concerned about.

I don't know how many times in the last few years I've seen him make breaks or half-breaks with no support and no one running off him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Glad I didn't stay up for that! The stay away from technology till the 8am replay was a far better option!

In summary - a game we should have won but didn't. Again. Execution let us down. Again.

As much as BR won't like this, if McMahon isn't fit mccalman needs to be flown over to play 8 v the argies.

Status
Not open for further replies.