• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs All Blacks @ Ellispark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-just-honest-remark.jpg
Defiantly honest remark! Congrats mate. That win must feel almost as good as a world cup

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Defiantly honest remark! Congrats mate. That win must feel almost as good as a world cup

It did feel awesome, thanks mate. :cool:

One thing that just soured it a bit for me, is we had a relatively commanding 2 score lead, and we pissed it away in 5 minutes with some pathetic defence and lack of composure. And it was mostly the defensive organisation that was a problem, more than a few missed tackles.

I have a feeling this might have been caused by the number of subs on, but this is not much of an excuse. To the contrary, it just magnifies a big problem we have.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not upset. I thought he let richey get away with a lot is all. I also think that should of been a yellow at the end. Shoulder at the head

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
2 words - love rugby.

Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed that game. The physicality and aggression was just superb to watch. Games like the one just then and last year demonstrate why (in my opinion) rugby is the best game in the world.

Vermeulen is probably the best player going around currently. He is involved in everything. Though, Richie McCaw was his usual brilliant pest self.

I thought Wayne Barnes wasn't too bad, kept the whistle away for most of the game - which is always a highlight.

Wallabies v All Blacks should be alright. I hope the Wallabies copy the Boks and put in a gutsy effort. More importantly I hope the current issues in the side get dealt with and don't impact negatively on the Wallabies preparation. (I know we play Arg before hand.)

If I hear one more thing about Beale INSTEAD on the Wallabies in the media, I'll probably having a fucking triple bypass. But anyway...

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Duane Vermeulen was all over the ball, that was legit but Schalk Burger entered the ruck from the side without making the tackle, it was a carbon copy of McCaw's penalty that gifted the Waratahs the title.

That was nothing like the Waratahs penalty call. Not even remotely close.

Waratah player has ball falls to ground in front of McCaw. Joubert had turned away momentarily and then saw McCaw in the "wrong" place.

Burger was just leaning on what was already a ruck. No issue there. Duane got a 50/50 one given he was the tackler and never released and won the TO. Well done to him and the Boks.

Great test match. I hate losing to the Boks. Worst feeling for me as a rabid AB fan.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not upset. I thought he let richey get away with a lot is all.

And the broken record award goes to....

McCaw was very good tonight. He read the game and the way Barnes was reffing both sides, very well. Got a few crucial turnovers and was very aggressive at the ruck and tackle.

AB bench gave good impact. Shame for TKB who was looking good in his brief appearance. The replay of his injury looked ugly. Luatua and Coles superb.

Thought Moody was excellent before going off with a head knock.

Conrad was shocking in the first half. Worst player on the park for the ABs. But he came back into the game in the 2nd.

Really liked the tactics of the Boks in the first half. Gave space for Houggard and Pollard to work with.

It will be interesting to see if Houggard is persisted with at halfback into next year.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Jonathon Kaplan all over that call on twitter. Too many tweets to copy, but he is questioning how a game can be influenced by a tv producer that caught an angle no one else saw, and that home country broadcasters urgently need to get this right before the RWC.

Methinks this may overshadow the Beale saga this week.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
But how?
Kick it long, NZ just boot it back.
Up and unders, back 3 are all safe under high ball.
Short grubbers in behind D line, if theyre fielded its going back downtown into the corners. And if the bokkes arent all on the same page and come up as a staggered defensive line, **JAILBREAK TIME**

I reckon its the bokke rolling maul that would cause most problems. Stuff the backs, keep it in tight.

Either way a sumptuous occasion awaits tonight.
I'd have to reiterate the 80s. Look at how Willie kicked tonight when we were on attack and not on defense which is a step in the right direction. When you are ahead, attack and then clear to the line to have a lineout. It's difficult because you can't kick out directly but it keeps the chasing team pinned back in their half and that forces errors as the clock ticks down.

For that to work you have to have a decent lineout. Our lineout was abysmal tonight.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I bet the nz press will pick at things all day though.
I'm highly respectful of the All Blacks.

They could have won this game and we were a bit lucky perhaps but I thought on balance we probably deserved to edge it. Luckily for once it panned out that way this time.

The NZ press is always refreshing to me because they credit the opposition. I expect some plaudits going Pollard's way - the new kid on the block.

EDIT:

I think this excerpt from Supersport defines how good this All Blacks side is:

"Lambie was on for the 20-year-old rookie flyhalf Handre Pollard who had earlier crossed for two tries, and added three conversions and a penalty at Ellis Park as the Boks became the first team to defeat the world champion All Blacks since England in late 2012."

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Jonathon Kaplan all over that call on twitter. Too many tweets to copy, but he is questioning how a game can be influenced by a tv producer that caught an angle no one else saw, and that home country broadcasters urgently need to get this right before the RWC.

Methinks this may overshadow the Beale saga this week.

At least Jean de Villiers brought it to his attention on his own. So no biggie.

Kaplan was all over the penalty Serfontein received even though he had no way of getting out of there, although he clearly tried. Will that be bigger than the Beale saga as well?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well done bokke. Tough hard rugby, doesn't get much better than these games ('cept when we win of course)

Barnsey, what can I say..

Regarding the last penalty, the conspiracy theorist in me would think that the saffer broadcasters deliberately put that burger incident up to draw ref's attention to it. Can we add that to the Kurtley Beale thread?
Perhaps so, but I also feel it's about time some calls go our way. So yes, we barely won with a bit of luck but it doesn't make the tackle fair either way.

No use in having him cited after losing the match. It stands that a team should be punished for transgressions and the opposing team should benefit in the match. Had he been cited only SA would not benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom