• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB's won't be allowed to appear in more than five consecutive games this SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) season. Presumably "AB" means any of the 40-odd players used last year plus returning players such as DMac; any game time including the proverbial last 30 seconds counts as an appearance; and unlike at least last year the restrictions also apply to Finals not just regular season. Leon Macdonald has been quoted as saying juggling those NZR requirements for his 14 AB will be one of his greater challenges.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
AB's won't be allowed to appear in more than five consecutive games this SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) season. Presumably "AB" means any of the 40-odd players used last year plus returning players such as DMac; any game time including the proverbial last 30 seconds counts as an appearance; and unlike at least last year the restrictions also apply to Finals not just regular season. Leon Macdonald has been quoted as saying juggling those NZR requirements for his 14 AB will be one of his greater challenges.
Was just reading about it WOB, only experienced and or heavily used players have got that, apparently it doesn't apply to young un's and players who haven't had a lot of time last year, or returning from injury. Kind of be Wallabies having 3 games off kind of thing .

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
AB's won't be allowed to appear in more than five consecutive games this SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) season. Presumably "AB" means any of the 40-odd players used last year plus returning players such as DMac; any game time including the proverbial last 30 seconds counts as an appearance; and unlike at least last year the restrictions also apply to Finals not just regular season. Leon Macdonald has been quoted as saying juggling those NZR requirements for his 14 AB will be one of his greater challenges.

wouldn’t be surprised to see broadcasters and sponsors put clauses in their contracts over this kind of thing in the future. It devalues the competition if the best/most marketable players are missing 20% of the games

Wilson

David Codey (61)
wouldn’t be surprised to see broadcasters and sponsors put clauses in their contracts over this kind of thing in the future. It devalues the competition if the best/most marketable players are missing 20% of the games
Certainly the Giteau law and Australia being careful not to expand it and dilute the quality of the comp has come up in negotiations with NZ over the future of super rugby, I'd be very surprised if these significant rest periods weren't an issue there as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually don't think they a problem really, they not really significant rest periods as most coaches worth their salt won't keep hammering the same players anyway. I don't think either RA saying the Wallaby squad players have to rest for 3 games or NZR saying most used ABs would not do moe than 5 gsmes in a row will even impact the teams or comp at all. And players assoc will have a strong say.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Seem reasonable in a world cup year. Perhaps it's just perception but injuries seem quite prevalent these days and test players play quite a lot of rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's fine, just need to be prepared that Broadcasters and Sponsors will argue to pay less in a RWC year if the best and most marketable players aren't playing.

That was part of the blow up between Cricket Australia and Channel 7 during covid.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was just reading about it WOB, only experienced and or heavily used players have got that, apparently it doesn't apply to young un's and players who haven't had a lot of time last year, or returning from injury.

Yeah, saw Foster's clarification/ damage control, but even for players in those categories it's still only an extra week between mandatory breaks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, saw Foster's clarification/ damage control, but even for players in those categories it's still only an extra week between mandatory breaks.
Yep I really have no problems with it, Wallabies are doing same and makes sense to me(and actually think their injury toll last year may of helped convince them). As I said I think generally most of squad of any super team are given breaks aren't they? Even in British club scene that goes on longer than super admittedly they carry squads of about 50 players so as not to burn out players. I actually was listening to an interview with one of Pat Lams asst coaches from Bristol Bears when he was asked about Piatau,Sinckler,Radrada and Luatua etc not playing and he said that players just need breaks every 4-6 weeks or so if they want them to perform at 90-100%. It's why tv will never tell teams they can't rest players, as they want a good product as possible to keep eyeballs .
I especially think the likes of older players like Sam W etc have to be nursed through season whether they ABs or not ie Luke Romano last year.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ I don't disagree with any of that but it shouldn't be mandated IMO but tailored to the individual player(s) by the medical & coaching staff who see them every day.
I thought it was (AB medicl staff test etc all time), but with the mandated rests it helps teams plan their season a lot better I think.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interested to see the breakdown of shareholders with Highlanders, basically 3 men have 29% each and provincial unions in area have the other 13%.
Does anyone have much idea of who holds what shares of other clubs?

HURRICANES

Wellington Rugby – 25 per cent

Horowhenua-Kapiti Rugby – 3 per cent

Paul Collins (Cohiba Traders) – 22 per cent

Liz Dawson (Forsyth Morison) – 12.5 per cent

Richard Mansell(CEO of Coastlands and director of H-K rugby-12.5

Y11 Sport and media- 25% - they also have shares in Ospreys in Wales and focus on Hurricanes global commercial rights outside of NZ and Aus (which is interesting)

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems to me that guys primarily wearing 1-5 on their backs need to be rotated (XV/23/rest) more frequently than those wearing 11-15. Mandates don't achieve that.
Not sure how it's been worked out, but I do know that as Clarke Demody says, with being told at beginning of season how many rests players need etc , it make it a lot easier to plan season, as he said you have to plan in rests for all your top players to prevent burnout, and you try and work them all in. I know the coaches try and plan from beginning of season which games they intend to try and rest players, it's not seemingly done on just a week to week basis (as I originally thought)