• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ nah, haven't felt an earthquake since we've been back in NZ (coming up six years now) & never in Hamilton before we left. Last one would be Levin back in the '90's - playing twilight cricket at Donnelly Park & you could see the shockwave lifting the ground as it was coming towards us. Something I'll never forget & wouldn't have believed possible had I not seen it for myself.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We had a few of shakes here in the Naki in the couple of years since I been back, but last nights was by far the strongest, talking to duaghter down in Levin, she said they ran the f*** out of the house, it was rough.
I used to play twilight in Levin during the 90s, for a couple of years anyway. Was a fun thing wasn't it?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm no ultra left woke ram it down your throat "my way is the only way" but to me something just does sit right with racing92 pumping their socials with Habosi posts. Yes he has not been convicted of a crime & yes he is free to to go there early if the drua have terminated his contract but it just feels like justice has not been i wont say served but explored.

Frank Lomani is an amazing guy & I hope he continues to have a massive influence on & off the field & we another Fijian comes from out of no where to show he can make it on the big stage.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Last call for proactive players in a Fantasy Rugby Draft league.

https://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/c...rugby-pacific-fantasy-rugby-draft-2023.19370/

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I've watched as many of the Aussie trials as I could; some of them inspired a bit of hope the Brumbies, Reds and Waratahs might do OK.

I just watched the Blues vs Tribe trial. For the first 20 minutes the Blues took the Chiefs apart, butchered about 5 tries and gave the Chiefs a couple of intercepts to keep them in the game. The Blues scrum should have had the mercy rule invoked, they were so dominant. Then, all of a sudden, the Chiefs sprang to life and ended up putting nearly 50 on the Blues. The intensity level was an order of magnitude higher than ANY of the Australian team trials. Given what I saw tonight I am predicting an all-NZ final with one of these two playing the Crusaders. We Aussies have a long, long way to go to get to the top level.

That said, the trial showed a lot of errors and poor play and the breakdown adjudicating is still a terrible mess. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Lee Grant used to say that Damian McKenzie was hands down the best U-20's 10 he ever saw. On tonight's display, even though he is approaching veteran class, he has not lost a scrap of speed and agility. He came on about half way through for the Chiefs and proceeded to tear gaping holes in the Blues defence where none had existed before. His long passing was a beauty to behold. He's a better 10 than any in Australia, Cooper included, and he is only ranked number 3 in NZ.

Be afraid, Australia, be very afraid.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Being a RWC year, do we know about any formal resting plans during the season for either NZ or Aussie teams?

In the past I seem to recall key players sitting out 1-2 games during the season. Memory could be tricking me, but I believe the Reds rested a bunch of guys in the last RWC year for a game in NZ which they were 100% going to lose regardless of who played.

Apologies if this has been discussed in earlier pages.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Top line AB's have something approaching a five match limit on consecutive matches, though doesn't apply for post-season, nor (I believe) to all players uniformly. Probably only equates to two or three matches at most.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And I believe the Aussie players have to miss 3 games? I sure I read that, all seems about right.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geez the bookies have given the Aussie teams no chance to win it this year.

Brumbies are the shortest odds at $15, then the Reds at $17, but what I find really interesting is $34 for the Tahs. Rebels and Force $101+

I'll be chucking some pocket money across a couple of teams. As discussed above, generally a RWC year is a bit disrupted in terms of player availability, extra precautions at the back of the year for niggles etc. Opens up the competition a bit more.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Geez the bookies have given the Aussie teams no chance to win it this year.

Brumbies are the shortest odds at $15, then the Reds at $17, but what I find really interesting is $34 for the Tahs. Rebels and Force $101+

I'll be chucking some pocket money across a couple of teams. As discussed above, generally a RWC year is a bit disrupted in terms of player availability, extra precautions at the back of the year for niggles etc. Opens up the competition a bit more.
Yeah Waratahs & Reds are weirdly placed but the rest look fair.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Could someone in the know at each Oz Super side please post a weekly list of walking wounded in the team's 2023 page.

Thanks.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Any word on whether or not we'll be seeing the Australian teams all named by 5pm Wednesday again this year? Or if the kiwis have finally got their shit together well enough to make that deadline too?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Any word on whether or not we'll be seeing the Australian teams all named by 5pm Wednesday again this year? Or if the kiwis have finally got their shit together well enough to make that deadline too?
Do all the teams even have published squads yet? fluffybunnys genuinely couldnt organise a root in a brewery.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
They said something on the news last night to the extent 'teams will be named tomorrow'. I don't know if that was only the BRU/WAR teams but hopefully they do it for all,

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

ha I just came to ask this. Reds named at 11am tomorrow

Cronn as a press conference at 9:30am tomorrow AWST so I expect that's when they are doing it.

Brumbies doing something around 1pm today so perhaps that's a team announcement?

So, in short, it looks like it will be back to a random release generator schedule.