• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If Super Rugby is to have an ANZAC day game it has to be in Perth or NZ.

Melbourne could never work, same with Sydney, Brisbane a potential as maybe a Reds v Tahs game on ANZAC day if they were both up and going would capture the imagination more than Roosters v Dragons
Brisbane would work. NRL plays games in Sydney 4pm and Melbourne 7:30

This is something the Reds should run with and try and implement. Play it at 1pm if you want. The weather is comfortable this time of year for a game at that time, its a public holiday that falls inside school holidays as well. Play a game in NZ as well.

Canberra also don't have any sports on that day...

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

This is something the Reds should run with and try and implement. Play it at 1pm if you want. The weather is comfortable this time of year for a game at that time, its a public holiday that falls inside school holidays as well. Play a game in NZ as well.

Marquee match won’t get up in the ACT

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
But the AFL got 2m views for the 2 games. Metro TV pay TV and crowds and the NRL got 1m for their 2 games. We need a presence

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

Great Idea, Make it a permanant fixture in Brisbane, play one of the leading NZ teams, milk the pre game entertainment. Make it about the ANZACS.

Do tickek deals to get a crowd, yeah start the game at 1pm so your not clashing.

ffs just do something to show the game is not just about the Wallabies and buying overpriced NRL players.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chiefs v Brumbies in Hamilton and Reds v Crusaders in Brisbane, absolutely. Play both games 2pm local time too to undercut the NRL. It's too obvious though, so Super Rugby will never go for it.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reds v Crusaders in Brisbane, absolutely. Make it 2pm local time too to undercut the NRL. It's too obvious though, so Super Rugby will never go for it.
Don’t make it 2pm it will clash with the AFL, combined metro, regional, pay tv and streaming figures was 1.6m viewers for the game. Play it earlier so people can watch both

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Chiefs v Brumbies in Hamilton and Reds v Crusaders in Brisbane, absolutely. Play both games 2pm local time too to undercut the NRL. It's too obvious though, so Super Rugby will never go for it.
The issue about that is... Reds gonna get crushed by Saders. Same thing for Tahs, maybe the current Landers would be a better option for that game lol If you want to attract casuals

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
If Super Rugby is to have an ANZAC day game it has to be in Perth or NZ.

Melbourne could never work, same with Sydney, Brisbane a potential as maybe a Reds v Tahs game on ANZAC day if they were both up and going would capture the imagination more than Roosters v Dragons
Let's keep it realistic. Even if the Tahs and Reds played the 80 minutes in the nude they would be lucky to get half as many who tuned into the NRL coverage yesterday. Only way to get anything close would be for a game involving the Wallabies at a time that didn't clash with either code

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A Reds v Tah's ANZAC clash might be the ticket.

In years of old, it didn't matter how good or bad either team was going, big crowds turned up and the game was usually quite competitive. It could be possible to get that mentality back if this game was built up annually at Suncorp.

The NRL will continue with the Roosters v Dragons and Storm v Warriors games, which means a rugby game with a QLD focus should at least draw some decent eyeballs.

EDIT: I should say, with current relations between the codes not great - I wouldn't put it past V'landys to schedule a Dolphins v Broncos game at 12pm going forward if we got something off the ground.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The issue about that is... Reds gonna get crushed by Saders. Same thing for Tahs, maybe the current Landers would be a better option for that game lol If you want to attract casuals

I'm not sure an ANZAC game needs to attract casuals to begin with. Currently, we have no offering even for the diehard fans. A starting point of getting a well promoted game for the fans who actually give a shit would be a great baseline.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You're looking at it as of right now. You don't create these type of fixtures as a one off. Roosters should have gone through the Dragons the last few years with this logic but it hasn't happened. Crusaders would be the money favourite you're right but spectacles and big games create a bit of magic at times.

A Reds v Tah's ANZAC clash might be the ticket.
There has often been talk of how does Rugby try and create a spectacle match up akin to State of Origin which is an impossible task to match that tier of series but this could be a fixture Rugby fans know is on ANZAC Day and that could be huge. Engage the Rugby fans first and then let any casuals get in on it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There has often been talk of how does Rugby try and create a spectacle match up akin to State of Origin which is an impossible task to match that tier of series but this could be a fixture Rugby fans know is on ANZAC Day and that could be huge. Engage the Rugby fans first and then let any casuals get in on it.

Yep, aside from the history of SOO, there is an aura around it because its the only fixture played on Wednesday nights (for the most part), the dates and locations are pre-determined well in advance etc.

Get the teams to wear special ANZAC jerseys and all that jazz. Kids under 5 go for free. All that stuff.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep, aside from the history of SOO, there is an aura around it because its the only fixture played on Wednesday nights (for the most part), the dates and locations are pre-determined well in advance etc.

Get the teams to wear special ANZAC jerseys and all that jazz. Kids under 5 go for free. All that stuff.
ADF rugby union teams round robin tournament as the curtain raiser

Edit: ironically the annual ADF rugby championship kicks off at GPS tomorrow. Here's a link to the livestream for anyone interested https://www.bartvsports.com.au/rugb...xt-JdO00eoJAAGI6fsUsTyfPzYDVzAmv15oK9_8TrLra4

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Let's keep it realistic. Even if the Tahs and Reds played the 80 minutes in the nude they would be lucky to get half as many who tuned into the NRL coverage yesterday. Only way to get anything close would be for a game involving the Wallabies at a time that didn't clash with either code
No, thats exactly what we shouldn't be doing. The whole message your giving your fan base is the only game worth watching is the Wallabies and then wonder why know one is turning up to Super Rugby.

Brisbane is a great idea, and make it against a nz team that the Reds have a home game against. Do it properly and build it up, stick with it. promote it, learn each year and do it better each year.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The more I look into it - the more I find it bizarre that we literally have zero representation on ANZAC day.

My social media feeds are currently getting some advertising for 'Super Rugby Culture Round' this weekend, which is great. But it's also ironic that they're trying to market and push a big made up round, when they've just had ANZAC day sitting there as a ready made and real marketing opportunity, but nothing was done.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I admit to being a bit different to most on ANZAC claches. Personally I think ANZAC day should be the most important day for NZ and Aus, and I really don't really like using it as promtional tool for their sports! Just too many died to cheapen it for me.

And call me all you like, it's just how I feel.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I admit to being a bit different to most on ANZAC claches. Personally I think ANZAC day should be the most important day for NZ and Aus, and I really don't really like using it as promtional tool for their sports! Just too many died to cheapen it for me.

And call me all you like, it's just how I feel.
I can completely understand what your saying and it could be true if not handled in the right way.

I think the ceremonies in the pre game at both the NRL games were fantastic. Melbourne do a great job using the darkness of their kick off time. I didn't watch the AFL so can't comment on theirs but it's a chance to showcase and thank veterans and current serving as much as a remembering what created the original ANZAC legend.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rugby needs to get its ducks in a row.

The NRL has stated they want 20 sides so that will mean a second side in NZ and increased investment and poaching.

The AFL has just announced or is set to announce Tasmania the 19th side meaning they will be looking for a 20th team. Strong likelihood that will come in the form of an NZ side.

When the Auckland city council was looking at the Western Springs redevelopment part of the plan was to attract an AFL team as a winter tenant.

There are going to be increasing pressure on rugby in NZ. So it’s more important than ever that we build a viable domestic competition that can survive