• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Trials: QLD Reds v Western Force, Ballymore, 3/2/24 @ 3:00pm AEST

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting trial. Some work ons for both teams. I really liked the breakdown work from The Force, they looked good in that first third. Some nice cohesion. The Reds have some attacking flair, but it got scrappy a lot and the breakdown accuracy/urgency really wasn't good enough.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting game. Reds created opportunities but very loose in attack. Lacked ball control and very poor securing our own breakdown. Scrum was generally good. Lineout up and down. Cormac Daly was very good I thought and that’s a big plus because lock is probably our weakest spot. I have been working on the assumption McLaughlin-Phillips wouldn’t be rushed in but he is looking our best option at the moment.

Glad to see rugby back.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Stewart for the Force in the first 20 was fabulous.

Wasn't sure of our (Red) locks. Unusual to see Uru almost acting as a link man in the traffic, just taking opportunity of an offload when standing?

Creighton is going to need another chance to show his wares, a little short on occasion today. Paisami laid a solid claim to be starting. Flook blew away some cobwebs. I thought Jock looked decent when he came on. Scrum good, lineout needs work. Rucks need more.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Lineout was perfect when Faessler was throwing. When it was usual prop Blake throwing, not so much.
I thought Faessler threw one over his target once, but could be wrong. He’s normally pretty good though and Daly looks a good target so I feel the lineout will be fine. A few things tighten up after the throw/catch but to be expected and given we were missing our two most experienced locks I think that can be forgiven.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Our breakdown work was messy. Obviously some excellent turnovers from the Force but we were generally inaccurate. And how many times was it called out by the ref that it was our own man blocking the ball from coming out?

walllabies all looked behind the pace. Tate and McReight got into it a little. Vunivalu still looks like he will frustrate most all year. In fact not many of our ‘name’ players stood out. Thought Jock looked better at fullback than Jordy.

best game in a Reds jersey for Werchon albeit only about 15 mins. HMP looked super dangerous on his feet.

prop depth looks awesome and I in fact thought Fa’agase was very good.