• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stop The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wallabiesfirst

I can't stand the haka. Especially the throat slitting one. Is it just me or is that offensive?
However, the main thing i can't stand is that the ARU panders to the AllBlacks by allowing them to perform their haka after our anthem. When it's our home game the last thing that Wallabies supporters should hear before the game is our anthem.
It's too late to stop the haka, but what I want is the ARU to do their job and provide the wallabies with every home ground advantage available at our home games.
I propose that the running order should be NZ Anthem/haka whichever they want to do first. Knock yourself out. Then we do our anthe and then the game starts.
BTW all this stuff about the haka being part of the culture of the game - absolute rubbish. The ABs showed their true colours at the Welsh Centenary game. The Welsh got it absolutely spot on and told them to do their haka and then they would sing their anthem before the game started. The ABs response - a dummy spit. People who really understood the culture of the game would have understood that this was right and correct and that the haka should have been reduced to a minor role on thbis occassion. This exposes the haka for what it really is - a trmendous motivational tools that the ABs use to motivate themselves and intimidate the opposition. But I suspect most of all the greatest motivation must be the superiority that they feel when they think how stupid the home team is to allow the away team this adavantage.

M

Miyagi

I can't stand the haka. Especially the throat slitting one. Is it just me or is that offensive?
However, the main thing i can't stand is that the ARU panders to the AllBlacks by allowing them to perform their haka after our anthem. When it's our home game the last thing that Wallabies supporters should hear before the game is our anthem.
It's too late to stop the haka, but what I want is the ARU to do their job and provide the wallabies with every home ground advantage available at our home games.
I propose that the running order should be NZ Anthem/haka whichever they want to do first. Knock yourself out. Then we do our anthe and then the game starts.
BTW all this stuff about the haka being part of the culture of the game - absolute rubbish. The ABs showed their true colours at the Welsh Centenary game. The Welsh got it absolutely spot on and told them to do their haka and then they would sing their anthem before the game started. The ABs response - a dummy spit. People who really understood the culture of the game would have understood that this was right and correct and that the haka should have been reduced to a minor role on thbis occassion. This exposes the haka for what it really is - a trmendous motivational tools that the ABs use to motivate themselves and intimidate the opposition. But I suspect most of all the greatest motivation must be the superiority that they feel when they think how stupid the home team is to allow the away team this adavantage.

This post is an embarrassment.
Perhaps that explains the 70+ views and no response.

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Get over it ! New Zealanders are proud of their indigenous people and culture and want to show the world. Every kid growing up in nz learns about Maori culture and the language so its part of us. You guys can sing waltzing Matilda if u like!

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
The ABs showed their true colours at the Welsh Centenary game. The Welsh got it absolutely spot on and told them to do their haka and then they would sing their anthem before the game started. The ABs response - a dummy spit.

And the crowd booed and booed. Like it or not, the haka is a big part of the attraction that crowds want to see.

By the way it wasn't at the centenary game that there was the problem, we agreed to do it after the anthem one time, on the express condition that it was a one time thing. The Welsh reneged on that promise the next time we toured and our reaction was entirely appropriate.

Sheesh, haven't you guys got anything else to talk about.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Note to all new posters. It is always a bad idea to start a thread with your first post. Just join in a few conversations before you get the hang of the place. The haka has been discussed at length, and there are lots of different positions on it among the members here. Army Gav and the Melbourne boys are probably the most active in trying to come up with a crowd response to the haka.

In short, until a mod comes along and closes this thread - which it deserves - keep calm and don't be a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.