• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Rebels Rnd 18 Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Because I think their attack is weak PB, no more, no less. Oh I daresay I could dig up stats, but the simple truth is I think their attack is limited. I'm not going to get dragged into saying the Rebs are better, they aren't, not this year. But I do think they can win.

If it makes you feel any better I really like Kolisi.
The Stormers scored some stunners this season (Joe P vs Highlanders, Habana vs Saders). The backline have the ability to strike from anywhere. Their defense obvious take them to places and give them the ability to play without possession.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Because I think their attack is weak PB, no more, no less. Oh I daresay I could dig up stats, but the simple truth is I think their attack is limited. I'm not going to get dragged into saying the Rebs are better, they aren't, not this year. But I do think they can win.

If it makes you feel any better I really like Kolisi.

I would suggest the stat you are looking for is this:

The Stormers are the only team yet to record a 4-try BP in 2012. In fact every other team has at least 2.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not only that, they have the least amount of tries in the comp, yes that's right even the Force have more.

Openside

Stan Wickham (3)
Wouldnt it be great to see the rebels win this one? I mean its mortlocks last year, and after what happened to the crusaders anything can happen, especially with the passing and unpredictability of Beale as wee as the flat out running of JOC (James O'Connor). However I do have to agree with some of the Cape town supporters. The stormers have the best defence in the competition and have been over-rated for a reason, but i do believe somewhere in the rebels there is a game plan that no other team has, and when it works they resemble a championship team

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not only that, they have the least amount of tries in the comp, yes that's right even the Force have more.
The other side of the blade is that the Stormers have 18 tries against them while the Rebels have the most 57 = 300%. All will depend on the Canes vs Chiefs match. If we dont have to chase 5 points they will try and play the gameplan they play all year, that is typical finals rugby.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
PB I think you're missing my point, it is the prospect of the Stormers playing conservative rugby that led to me making the point.

Ath.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I cannot see us winning this one. However, if the Stormers can get top spot with a BP win then I can see us having an outside chance at it. The Stormers will chase the 4 tries which is not their game and this could cause their defense to open up. If however they are just after the win then they will play their normal game and win by 10.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PB I think you're missing my point, it is the prospect of the Stormers playing conservative rugby that led to me making the point.

Ath.
Dont agree. The Stormers needs to do something else to take them out of their confort zone. They need to be pressurise which obvious can happen on saturday. Its been cold and wet this side and expecting a hard tough clash. I am worried about the Stormers passion and energy match level since they came back from tour. We need to be physical and hunger when we play our best rugby, something we saw on tour against the Highlanders. If we can do this for 80 minutes we will be unstopable.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers:15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Deon Fourie, 7 Rynhardt Elstadt, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Andries Bekker, 4 De Kock Steenkamp, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Brok Harris, 17 Deon Carstens, 18 Quinn Roux, 19 Jebb Sinclair, 20 Louis Schreuder, 21 Burton Francis, 22 Gerhard van den Heever

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Dont agree. The Stormers needs to do something else to take them out of their confort zone. They need to be pressurise which obvious can happen on saturday. Its been cold and wet this side and expecting a hard tough clash. I am worried about the Stormers passion and energy match level since they came back from tour. We need to be physical and hunger when we play our best rugby, something we saw on tour against the Highlanders. If we can do this for 80 minutes we will be unstopable.

But PB that is exactly my point, so in that we agree perfectly, the Stormers need to lift their game. They are a conservative side playing a mercurial side that can play anything from woeful to superb in any 5 minutes. Fail to dominate and they could find themselves tries down and in a hole.

All that said they should play well, it will be a huge home crowd.

For the Rebels it will be a huge character test.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
But PB that is exactly my point, so in that we agree perfectly, the Stormers need to lift their game. They are a conservative side playing a mercurial side that can play anything from woeful to superb in any 5 minutes. Fail to dominate and they could find themselves tries down and in a hole.

All that said they should play well, it will be a huge home crowd.

For the Rebels it will be a huge character test.
Well the Rebels have nothing to lose and sure want to finish on a high with all the retirements from their team. I'll never underestimate them and hopefull the Stormers players also. In this competition any team can beat the other on any day.

I like your positive attetude.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Rebels named.

1. LOOSEHEAD PROP - Rodney Blake
2. HOOKER - Ged Robinson
3. TIGHTHEAD PROP - Jono Owen
4. LEFT LOCK - Cadeyrn Neville
5. RIGHT LOCK - Hugh Pyle
6. LEFT FLANKER -Tim Davidson
7. RIGHT FLANKER - Hugh Perrett
8. NUMBER EIGHT - Gareth Delve (vc)

9. SCRUMHALF - Nick Phipps
10. FLYHALF - James Hilgendorf
11. LEFT WING - Cooper Vuna/Lachlan Mitchell
12. INSIDE CENTRE - Stirling Mortlock (c)
13. OUTSIDE CENTRE - Mitch Inman
14. RIGHT WING - Mark Gerrard
15. FULLBACK - Julian Huxley

REPLACEMENTS:
16. RESERVE - Luke Holmes
17. RESERVE - Paul Alo-Emile
18. RESERVE - Al Campbell
19. RESERVE - Ryan Hodson
20. RESERVE - Nic Stirzaker
21. RESERVE - Cooper Vuna/Lachlan Mitchell
22. RESERVE - Richard Kingi

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers by 4 now.
Sorry a draw will get them through aswell.

Excellent news is that Schalk Burger and Duanne Vermeulen just maybe back comes semi time.

CapeTimes
But the Cape Times understands that Burger has made significant progress in the rehabilitation process with his knee ligament injury this week, and now has an “outside chance” of being ready for the semi-final. Coetzee has said in recent weeks that first-choice No 8 Duane Vermeulen was the best bet of the three injured loose forwards (including Nick Koster) to play in a semi-final, but it is believed that Burger has surpassed Vermeulen in that regard.
And, despite not having played any rugby since being taken off on a medical cart during the Hurricanes game at Newlands on February 25, it is believed that the Springbok star will go straight into the starting line-up at No 8 if he is fit for the semi-final.
Burger has operated mainly at flank throughout his career, but has played Test rugby at the back of the scrum before and certainly possesses all the necessary skills and speed to play at No 8. His physical presence and experience would be a godsend for the Stormers in the loose trio, especially with Vermeulen missing in a pressure-packed situation like a home playoff.
While Burger was named as the captain for the season, he is unlikely to reclaim the role from Jean de Villiers, who has done an outstanding job this year and has been installed as the Springbok captain for the rest of the 2012 season following the 2-0 series victory over England last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.