• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Strength of the Rebels Fan Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fans the players can count on
Adam Freier

THE history books will show the Sharks got the points and the Rebels fell short last week. But after the siren it was apparent the Rebels won more then a game of rugby.

Never have I witnessed a standing ovation and the chant of a club name in a losing home side. Never.

The opening line of our team song is, ''Do you hear the people sing'' and as the curtain was drawn last Friday night, the people were singing loud and proud.

Advertisement: Story continues below
There are many uncontrollables on footy field. A ref's call, the bounce of the ball, the crowd's buy in, a stadium's atmosphere. We are fortunate enough to have assurance that the last two will never be unknowns, but in fact could be our best assets.

There are some things you take out of an injury, mostly negative, but I have refused to let my time be wasted.

I have used this last year as an opportunity to get my finger on the pulse of the fans and try to remember what it's really all about.

I have often wandered through crowds at big matches. Some weeks with friends and family, but mostly on my own, pulling up stumps next to the punter who knows very little, and also ones that know it better than most.

Many people who have watched the matches this year have seen the madness that goes on underneath the goal post at the Yarra River end. It's an invasion of fans and they are like no other army on the planet.

People often say that within team sports you are defined by your fans and their passion. We all saw how the Barmy Army lifted England over the summer.

The Rebel Army motto is "by the fans for the fans".

Never have I been a prouder player as I walk past the clan at the games, and never have I felt so normal when I swing by and have a chat. They are very much part of the Rebels team.

Although our audiences here in Melbourne are new to the game of rugby, and we are showcasing a new sport to this city, the crowds at AAMI Park are demonstrating the passion of this sporting city and are actually leading the Rugby fraternity, showing everyone how it should be done.

They are bloody hardcore about their support for the Rebels. And good on them; also, the Force's fans are pretty good. Interesting that the two youngest Aus Conference Super teams have the most passionate supporters.

We could use a Rebel Army for each of the franchises.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Rebels have to develop some consistencey and friday was really bad, however contrast the attitude of the Rebels fans to a losing team against the Sharks to the Tahs fans booing their own team last night. i am a New South Welshman but the Tahs as an organisation just dont illicit passionate support. They have never connected to the grass roots Sydney rugby community. The Rebels are trying hard in this regard but it doesnt matter how good your organisation is off the field including the behaviour of the playing group off field, if on the field you are not competitive.

L

Lachlan

Rebels have to develop some consistencey and friday was really bad, however contrast the attitude of the Rebels fans to a losing team against the Sharks to the Tahs fans booing their own team last night. i am a New South Welshman but the Tahs as an organisation just dont illicit passionate support. They have never connected to the grass roots Sydney rugby community. The Rebels are trying hard in this regard but it doesnt matter how good your organisation is off the field including the behaviour of the playing group off field, if on the field you are not competitive.

They don't need consistency- they need depth! Like the Red's of a few years ago or the Waratahs of today - when the best 15 are on the park they can menace any team, but once a few keys players are injured you have Tom Chamberlain on the field in a starting jumper :-X

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

I agree with your post. If the Tahs had a greater connection with the community perhaps the crowd, whilst being unhappy due to the loss, wouldnt have booed them like they did. Of course the other issues are the lathargy and complacency in their performance (at least thats what it appeared to me) that got the anger of the crowd. I think if a team loses its not so bad as long as the effort is 100% but the Tahs were anything but that and the Cheetahs played well.

On the bold section. If the Tahs connection to Sydney grass roots rugby community is poor to non existant then I'm not sure what words I could come up with to describe their relationship to NSW Country Rugby, perhaps 'diabolical'?. I'm a NSW Country person, born and bred and my connection to the Tahs is so great that I follow the Saders, better to follow a team that I can enjoy watch play than one that frustrates and only represents Sydney anyway.

The only time people in my local area follow the Tahs is when they play the Brumbies or The Reds (especially the reds) but outside that most people really arent that passionate about it. I know the Tahs are no longer NSW Tahs but as the only gig representing NSW its pretty depressive. I'm not saying NSW Country should have a team in Super Rugby (not starting that arguement) but if they cant get even Sydney, the place they are meant to represent onside with them, they are in serious do-do.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
As for the Rebels fan base I’m not knocking their crowds but what I am sick and tired of is constantly hearing the Australian commentators making degrading comments about other crowds in Australia in comparison to the Rebels.

Just because people don’t make lots of noise doesn’t mean they don’t care about the game.

D

daz

They are bloody hardcore about their support for the Rebels. And good on them; also, the Force's fans are pretty good. Interesting that the two youngest Aus Conference Super teams have the most passionate supporters.

We could use a Rebel Army for each of the franchises.

I think it actually reflects the fact that both teams are in an AFL stronghold and AFL fans are a bit more rabid than rugby.

They are also a bit less knowledgable. They will cheer madly if their team wins a penalty but will often not have a clue what the penalty was for. It is just, hey, we won a penalty! More tribal, I guess...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

The contrast between the sharks loss and the cheetahs loss is two very different things with two very different teams being an underdog playing a top side and a top side playing an underdog. That's a very large bow.

The tahs had a cheer squad, it was quite good and loud but cutbacks in funding meant a cutback in all areas and it's just to much like hard work to get a large group together to do it yourself, helped for a few years but unless someones there to pass it onto, it becomes quite grinding and you miss a lot of laughs and rugby.

The challenge for the rebels is to keep the spirit going. It's been great so far and hopefully the tahs,reds and grumbles can follow a bit. As for the force there supportbhas dropped off a bit, it helps that there stadium is quite full with 15000 in it. But the friends I have over there often say it's slowly going down with each year.

R

RebelArmyno1fan

They don't need consistency- they need depth! Like the Red's of a few years ago or the Waratahs of today - when the best 15 are on the park they can menace any team, but once a few keys players are injured you have Tom Chamberlain on the field in a starting jumper :-X

Absolutely agreed with you! There is absolutely no depth in this side! and the few people who are waiting in the wings never get a chance! Mcqueen needs to take a serious look at the starting team he sends on the field. Julian Huxley has simply not been performing and yet he still stays on as starting full back, its time for Mcqueen to stop only playing the greats of his team who, undoubtedly are greats, but to start giving the FEW younger guys a chance to BECOME great. As for the supporters, my worry is that it WILL start to drop off, and SOON especially if they dont improve their performance.. i was at the reds game last week and dispite my relentless support for them, I was finding it hard to call myself a Rebel.. they need to start playing for each other as well as the people (Y)

Status
Not open for further replies.