• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sutherland Cup for 2023???
Fusesport only goes to Judd.
Also met a player from Rockdale. Confident they have a team and have been training.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
I hear there are going to be a number of new teams in the lower divisions.
Great to see some new clubs coming on! Hopefully they all grow and succeed
Hearing talk of the Box Hill Broncos and the Oran Park Rhinos as two new clubs. The Liverpool Cougars are toying with a senior team and there is talk of a team based at Marsden Park, looking like a Wanderers style club

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hearing talk of the Box Hill Broncos and the Oran Park Rhinos as two new clubs. The Liverpool Cougars are toying with a senior team and there is talk of a team based at Marsden Park, looking like a Wanderers style club
How many grades for each? Just the 1?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Surely the conversation is about consolidating areas soon rather than inviting new clubs.
Box Hill with Rouse Hill, Marsden Park with Raptors.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Great to see some more Rugby in western sydney if true

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah not sure. The Broncos are a group of mates who are ex-Eastwood colts. Seems a bit like Sydney Harbour.
Not sure about the others. You’d know more Pfitzy, surely.

TBH haven't heard about any of these except that Box Hill was going to be a junior thing called the "Boxers" (after the dog?) The Box Hill Broncos are a Melbourne club I believe.

Any other Box Hill news I've heard was potentially connected to Eastwood moving into the area.

The bit in bold I find interesting. It is great that Eastwood are "hopeful" but I'd rather have a concrete plan to figure out how this happens.

Beyond the Woodies warehousing 5 Grades and 4+ Colts that is.

EASTWOOD RUGBY, one of the powerhouses of the sport in NSW, can’t wait to kick off at Fred Caterson Reserve.

Eastwood Rugby’s General Manager Robert Frost said the planned premier rugby union facility will benefit the club and The Hills.

“We’re certainly hoping to be there as soon as possible… hopefully that’s next year,” said Frost, after wet weather and Covid delayed their move to Castle Hill. Our members are excited by the move, tinged of course with some sadness but since the majority of our membership and our players are from the Hills, this is more a move to be closer to where they live.”

The Hills Shire Council’s masterplan includes a premier facility for Eastwood Rugby, which it said is a pathway to elite rugby for much of north and north western Sydney up to Wiseman’s Ferry. The move has the support of Rugby Australia and Rugby NSW.

The reserve boasts of six playing fields for football, cricket, baseball, a BMX track plus basketball and tennis courts. Two tennis courts and four hot shot courts will be added plus upgrades to fields, car parks and spectator facilities.

On the vocal opposition to the move, Frost said: “As you know, the Hills Shire Council formally adopted a Master Plan for Fred Cater son in 2020. Eastwood Rugby’s involvement is a result of the council advertising for a partner to help deliver the rugby union facility.

“We can’t speak for the council obviously but I note that council has publicly addressed this issue a number of times stressing that all development will be subject to normal planning controls.”

Frost said Castle Hill and North West Sydney are massive growth areas and the Woodies are hopeful their presence will encourage growth in the game – not only in their club but in all the other clubs in the region.

Frost said they are excited to support a new junior rugby club at Box Hill, adding their development manager visits local schools and junior clubs in a bid to increase the number of females playing rugby.

“We run the NSW Rugby Waratahs Western Rugby Academy for aspiring young athletes,” Frost said. “We are very keen to ensure there is a pathway for young elite athletes which doesn’t require them to relocate in order to progress. So, you can see that we are very active in the Hills already and this will only increase in years to come.

“For many years, players from North West Sydney have chosen to play at our club. We play in the highest level of club competition in NSW. Many of our players progress to professional rugby players – for example, newly-capped Wallaby Mark Nawaqanitawase. We also have two players in the Australian men’s sevens team, both of whom are local Castle Hill boys.”

“It’s important the region has a successful cub representing it in the premier rugby competition. Eastwood have been premiers of Sydney rugby six times in the past 20 years and grand finalists in three more. Our successful profile will be a drawcard for athletes for decades to come.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Surely the conversation is about consolidating areas soon rather than inviting new clubs.
Box Hill with Rouse Hill, Marsden Park with Raptors.

We've been 2-3 Grades for quite a while and could use a boost. Particularly if they're from a rugby background!

Certainly at the Divisional Meeting last night none of those ventures were mentioned.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I tried contacting local schools again but it is a wall of silence. Well except one who said they'd pass on the details to the appropriate person, who I believe is the head coach of another club. Not putting much stock in that one just yet :)

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
I salute you woodsman....hook, line and sinker....

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
TBH haven't heard about any of these except that Box Hill was going to be a junior thing called the "Boxers" (after the dog?) The Box Hill Broncos are a Melbourne club I believe.

Maybe there's a connection between the club - it does seem strange that two clubs would have the same name. Maybe the Broncos saw an opportunity.
It would be interesting to see..... as someone living at Rouse Hill, I'll be interested to see if they are real.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maybe there's a connection between the club - it does seem strange that two clubs would have the same name. Maybe the Broncos saw an opportunity.
It would be interesting to see..... as someone living at Rouse Hill, I'll be interested to see if they are real.

Can't get a sister club? Start your own ;)

Heure

Frank Nicholson (4)
Come home carrying your shield, or on it? ;)

I think there is a bit of merit in what is being said: clubs need to communicate to their players that it isn't all about winning. While trophies are nice, that isn't the reason we play, and the longer a group sticks together, the better it gets.

On the flipside that's a little hard to take when numbers are shrinking and the gap between haves and have-nots is widening

clubs need to communicate to their players that it isn't all about winning

do you have gender confusion issues Pfitzy?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
clubs need to communicate to their players that it isn't all about winning

do you have gender confusion issues Pfitzy?

No, though I note it is International Womens Day and I stand in support of the women across rugby who help make it work :)

If it was all about winning, most clubs would have folded by now.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hear, hear. In a 12 team competition, a la Shute Shield, 11 teams aren't going to win although they all strive to. So, how does a club/team set its ambitions at the start of a season? I'd suggest simple things such turning up on time, EVERY TIME/always wear the proper club clobber/respect fellow team members on and off the paddock/never denigrate a fellow club member, etc.

These things will make a club a happy place even if competition success eludes them.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Div 3 finally posted.

Screenshot_20230311_072419_Chrome.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sutherland Cup for 2023???

I'm hearing the numbers issue is across the board.

Some First Div clubs might even struggle to get Colts on the field due to a lack of interest in playing and/or risk of injury. When you've got an overseas holiday booked for the first time post-COVID, and you're paying top dollar to get there, I guess I have a bit of sympathy for that.

In the past week I've talked to people from a range of clubs (Subbies or Premier) in different situations and all agree that serious reform is needed.