• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Subbies 2023!

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Alfred Walker (16)
I think 8 teams is a good number for the top 3 divisions. It sucks subbies doesnt really work in the way where the St Pats and Lindfield teams could have a play off to see whos actually div 1 quality.

I think St Pats and Petersham being dropped will raise the quality of Div 2, due to their stability in numbers. Pats didn't have that great of a season except for their colts. If pats end up slapping around the comp in Div 2 they should be re-promoted.

I can understand the thinking behind subbies decision.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think 8 teams is a good number for the top 3 divisions. It sucks subbies doesnt really work in the way where the St Pats and Lindfield teams could have a play off to see whos actually div 1 quality.

I think St Pats and Petersham being dropped will raise the quality of Div 2, due to their stability in numbers. Pats didn't have that great of a season except for their colts. If pats end up slapping around the comp in Div 2 they should be re-promoted.

I can understand the thinking behind subbies decision.
I can see your logic but can you also understand St Pat's frustration though? Neither Mosman or Forest had a great year.

St Pat's said they didn't have the best year in the statement but I think their issue is they haven't been told why they have been handpicked. Hard to say they haven't been treated differently to other clubs.

Heure

Peter Burge (5)
Where’s Pfitzy gone? Has his keyboard had a malfunction now that he’s been held accountable? Has subbies organised a debrief and explanation with st pats this week?

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
I recently spoke to a Forest player who said they wouldn't have minded coming down but club officialdom dont want to. I do highlight & acknowledge that was the view of one player so I am not suggesting it was widespread through their player ranks.

Looking for some positives for St Pats, a lot of close away games with Briars, Petersham, Epping and UNSW then a big boozy bus trip to Porters!

P.S Playing finals footy across multiple grades isn't the worst thing that can happen to a club.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Waiting on an explanation
Screenshot_20231031-213848.png

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
This is a debacle. Ive never been the biggest fan of St Pats only due to the banter/advice given to me at Hudson. Very strong club, Great Culture and a great Div 1 club..
This is a massive loss for Div 1 and Kentwell. Hopefully subbies review and change their mind.

In my opinion, Div 1 will be better with 10 teams.

Div 2 will still be strong and the Divisions below will also survive. Cant make an 8x8x8 competition, when there are only 18 clubs suitable.

18 clubs - 10- 8. Simple maths really.

Feel sorry for Div 2 1st grade clubs who were getting done by 40 by Lindfield. It will be 60+ by St Pats.
How are hunters hill looking EastCoast? Ready for 3 in a row?

Attachments

• IMG_4708.jpeg
    IMG_4708.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 66

Eastcoast

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Bit early for me to make a call. Hopefully we go one better, although seems like it will be a cut throat competition next year. No Team is safe apparently.

TheBigArvo

Ted Fahey (11)
Firstly agree St Pats totally shafted by subbies.

St Pats 2023
1st grade: 9th
2nd grade: 5th
Colts 1st: but didn't make the GF
3rds: 9th
4th: 8th

On behalf of 2nd Division: Challenge accepted, we welcome the increased competition which will make us all lift our game.
Unfortunately your boys won’t be in Div 2 next year Heavy D. I hear you’ve had to show cause as to why you’ll stay in Div 2 and based off the teams you could field this year you will probably in Div 4 next year.
I mean you only finished 4th on the club championship, Colts premiership and 2nd in 1s so your the prime club to be dropped next year following the St Pats demotion.
I’m sure they’ll welcome the competition in Div 4…

Northies

Bob McCowan (2)
Unfortunately your boys won’t be in Div 2 next year Heavy D. I hear you’ve had to show cause as to why you’ll stay in Div 2 and based off the teams you could field this year you will probably in Div 4 next year.
I mean you only finished 4th on the club championship, Colts premiership and 2nd in 1s so your the prime club to be dropped next year following the St Pats demotion.
Keep Briars and Valley though....

SubbiesSoftie

Bob McCowan (2)
In a slight change of topic, how are clubs looking in relation to club/head coaches? I've noticed quite a few are yet to announce or confirm their roster.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
And won the inaugural Womens comp.

TheBigArvo

Ted Fahey (11)
In a slight change of topic, how are clubs looking in relation to club/head coaches? I've noticed quite a few are yet to announce or confirm their roster.
Thoughts on paying coaches whilst your committee members are doing it for the love of the game. Is a quality 1st Grade/club coach a more important asset than a quality president.

It’s an interesting dynamic that I’d say most of the higher Div clubs pay there head coach whilst there committee slogs it out to make it all possible.

Probably not the money to go round to do pay everyone but as we struggle for volunteers it might be more enticing for people to stand on a committee. Already seeing people pay canteen managers etc.