• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unfortunately your boys won’t be in Div 2 next year Heavy D. I hear you’ve had to show cause as to why you’ll stay in Div 2 and based off the teams you could field this year you will probably in Div 4 next year.
I mean you only finished 4th on the club championship, Colts premiership and 2nd in 1s so your the prime club to be dropped next year following the St Pats demotion.
I’m sure they’ll welcome the competition in Div 4…
And won the inaugural Womens comp.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
In a slight change of topic, how are clubs looking in relation to club/head coaches? I've noticed quite a few are yet to announce or confirm their roster.
Thoughts on paying coaches whilst your committee members are doing it for the love of the game. Is a quality 1st Grade/club coach a more important asset than a quality president.

It’s an interesting dynamic that I’d say most of the higher Div clubs pay there head coach whilst there committee slogs it out to make it all possible.

Probably not the money to go round to do pay everyone but as we struggle for volunteers it might be more enticing for people to stand on a committee. Already seeing people pay canteen managers etc.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Thoughts on paying coaches whilst your committee members are doing it for the love of the game. Is a quality 1st Grade/club coach a more important asset than a quality president.

It’s an interesting dynamic that I’d say most of the higher Div clubs pay there head coach whilst there committee slogs it out to make it all possible.

Probably not the money to go round to do pay everyone but as we struggle for volunteers it might be more enticing for people to stand on a committee. Already seeing people pay canteen managers etc.
Maybe Div 1, I doubt many, if any, from Div 2 were paid this year.

I'd imagine the role probably takes up a lot more time than being President week-to-week from pre-season to end of season.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I think so - hence why Hornsby went there - they were quite open about it. Something ( as a former subbies player) I never had an issue with was the payment of players.
Like the AFL comps in Melbourne - they have the luxury of the amateur comp which is largely old boys / suburban clubs, and comps where you can get paid.
Subbies could consider first division where there is payment - and everything else where its amateur. It may attract more people to our game if they received a coupla hunj for a win.

Northies

Bob McCowan (2)
I think so - hence why Hornsby went there - they were quite open about it. Something ( as a former subbies player) I never had an issue with was the payment of players.
Like the AFL comps in Melbourne - they have the luxury of the amateur comp which is largely old boys / suburban clubs, and comps where you can get paid.
Subbies could consider first division where there is payment - and everything else where its amateur. It may attract more people to our game if they received a coupla hunj for a win.
Seems like it would just widen the gap between Div 1 and the rest. Might as well just ring-fence Div 1 if that were the case.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
thats what I'm kind of pointing at. Have 10 clubs that are required to have 5 grades and colts (and probably a women's team).

Fuckit call div 2, division 1 for all I care - if it means a wickedly strong Div 1 comp where there are few dollars being thrown around - go for it. The winner of div 2 can request to go up to the pro comp if they want and potentially a club that wants to go back to ammos can do so.
has legs I reckon
The mungo comp has collapsed on the northern beaches of sydney where I live - could be a whole lot of players who could be interested.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
thats what I'm kind of pointing at. Have 10 clubs that are required to have 5 grades and colts (and probably a women's team).

Fuckit call div 2, division 1 for all I care - if it means a wickedly strong Div 1 comp where there are few dollars being thrown around - go for it. The winner of div 2 can request to go up to the pro comp if they want and potentially a club that wants to go back to ammos can do so.
has legs I reckon
The mungo comp has collapsed on the northern beaches of sydney where I live - could be a whole lot of players who could be interested.
May aswell create Div 2 of SRU

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
So what is 2024 looking like now? If the board can pull off 8-8-8 top 3 divs it must look something like below?

Div 1
Hunters Hill
Blue Mountains
Waverley
Drummoyne
Colleagues
Mosman
Forest
Lindfield

Div 2
St Patricks
Petersham
UNSW
Newport
Epping
Hills
Briars
Beecroft

Div 3
Hawkesbury Valley
Hornsby
Knox
Sydney Harlequins
Old Barker
Sydney Harbour/Easts/Gordon (or whatever rubbish they arranged last year)
Merrylands*
Rockdale/Irish*
*Can any of these get together a colts?

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)

has legs I reckon
what happened to the mungos?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
what happened to the mungos?
Dunno - merged with Northern, north west and eastern suburbs comps by the looks of it

1699516098540.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Metro League has started to tier the comps.

Below NSW Cup which is professionally linked to NRL Clubs:

Ron Massey
Presidents Cup
Sydney Shield
Surburban A grade falls after this but they can be promoted up.

Country footy still keep the regions.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wouldn’t say it’s dying. Become more elite and away from any social aspect it ever had which was less than Rugby.

It’s designed to funnel talent to the top. There are NRL players that have come from Ron Massey.

Rugby doesn’t have an in line hierarchy.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
always wondered what would happen to suburban mungo if they didnt pay the players. Never saw the point of paying blokes to play park footy.