• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you’ll find the Newport promotion argument is academic as they did not apply. Like many clubs, once the new season rolls around and you learn of retirements, players leaving and the like you realise that the preceding year isn’t always a good indicator of the year ahead!

I don’t quite understand why Subbies didn’t just relegate Drummoyne (or Petersham). In recent times, both St Pat’s and Hunters Hill have been relegated, which has seemingly been to their benefit as they have rebuilt themselves to be sustainable Division 1 clubs.

Easy from the cheap sheets though - Drummoyne may well prove us wrong and 2022 was only a minor hiccup!

Because its an old boys network and the "elite' clubs get preference, some times to their detriment. i.e Knox stayed 3 years too long due to "special consideration" and will most likely end up rebuilding in Div 4 for a few years.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fair enough. Assuming that's all valid (no reason not to), why not go the other way and take newport, who applied to go up?

Potentially makes Division 2 more palatable for those currently looking to avoid at all costs.

My mail is they went a bit quiet on that idea as there was some uncertainty towards the end of 2022 - maybe not having regular 4th grade competition hurt numbers?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Harbour thing is difficult. They'd probably be a big shout of winning the comp in Div 2, but 2 Grades and no colts up there just because they are beating everyone doesn't work either.

They don't have two grades, in effect - East's 5th Grade were their second slot. Although all the Beasties registered under Harbour, no crossover between the two squads. While Harbour's 1st grade team would give Barraclough a shake, I don't think those Easties would be as happy against 2nd Grade for Newport etc as they were against clubs like ours!

Most clubs with Harbour's record would be holding potential recruits off with a stick!

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
18 rounds is absurd.

With the long weekend and if you end up playing finals could be 22 weeks. Fuck no. Sorry but I don't love playing that much anymore when it's park footy.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
They don't have two grades, in effect - East's 5th Grade were their second slot. Although all the Beasties registered under Harbour, no crossover between the two squads. While Harbour's 1st grade team would give Barraclough a shake, I don't think those Easties would be as happy against 2nd Grade for Newport etc as they were against clubs like ours!

Most clubs with Harbour's record would be holding potential recruits off with a stick!
Id hope Barraclough has remained strong enough to work Oysters over comfortably. Last years final series they scored 17 and 13 points. That wont cut it in Barraclough - Even in Clarke you would find teams wouldnt be phased by a team who only scores 1-2 tries a game.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Posted just a few hours ago…

Good to see them make a push at a come back, fingers crossed they get the numbers to field a team this season
8C0E4F61-4006-4631-8BBE-82A89FB314EC.jpeg

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
With division 1 set, the assumed clubs in division 2 are Newport, UNSW, Lindfield, Hills, Hawkesbury Valley and Briars.
Bubble clubs: Epping, Beecroft, Harlequins, Barker, Knox
Remaining Division 3: Manly Savers, Sydney Harbour, Iggies.
My understanding is that 3 of the bubble clubs are against the idea of being in division 2, however, I’ll not name them.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Fingers crossed the division stuff is sorted soon so more interesting content can come to the fore. Going round in circles here.