• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I reckon 500 around Boronia tomorrow. Will be 25 and Sunny.
No idea about how we will stack up in the lower grades, but have alot of good talent from 1's - 4's and alot of handy colts that have chosen Union over league.
Best 2 teams in the comp facing off. Looking forward to that first tin
Do any other Div 1's get much of a crowd?

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
No idea about how we will stack up in the lower grades, but have alot of good talent from 1's - 4's and alot of handy colts that have chosen Union over league.
Anything special on? I note that Shute Shield regular and local lad, James Quin refereeing Kentwell as well. Been a while since he has done any Subbies games I suspect.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Lindfield 5 grades, one ladies team, and 29 reserves for tomorrow - going to be a lot of people at Boronia

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Suprised to not hear of any forefeits for tomoz as yet.

I saw Blacktown are looking for a match. They were due to play at Lyne Park v Maccabi but now listed as NO MATCH in Div 5.

Waverley v St Pats have postponsed the 4th Grade game due to ground conditions I am guessing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Radford cup looks interesting this year.

Screenshot_20230414-210619.png

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Should be a great day hopefully we get a classic sydney winter day. Dry cold air, with only a few clouds in the sky.

Looking forward too it should be a cracking day of footy.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Reporting from Porters...

Newport vs Briars was a disspointment for the healthy crowd on hand hoping to see some competitive footy. Game was over mid 1st half with Newports slick backs and workman like pack running riot over a pretty limited Briars. Breakers appear to have unearthed a superstar in their new South African fullback who put in a very classly debut and will compliment the strong spine of the talented Allen brothers who again demonstrated they are a class above this level.

2nds and 3rds were good hard grinding games with the much bigger Briars teams coming up just short against the small but willing Newport youngsters. Newports Colt production line again looks to have rolled out another strong playing group who dispensed out a 10 try romp.

However, Europe beckons for many players in May/June and it will have a massive impact on clubs like Newport whom player base is largely 18/25 and after being cooped up for Covid years are about to take their right of passage. Difficult times ahead.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
From Turramurra memorial.
Ground about 20m too short to be a full field... the 22 to the half waa only a hop, skip and jump.

The club house is pretty bloody schmick! Bathrooms were nicer then mine at home.

But onto rugby...

Beecroft colts way too slick for Bobs.

2nd grade was scrappy from both sides and Bobs had a dominate scrum/set piece which got them the points. Beecroft decided to play footy in the last 15 minutes and put 3 tries in. Bobs a real contender if they can hold their heads in the last 20.

1st grade was a bit tidier, but once again the Bobs scrum proving dominant, beecroft have some work to do in that department. However around the paddock beecroft were too good.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Very surprised Mosman aren't fielding Colts II - first time in a number of years (I can even recall them having Colts III in 2019 or 2020).

Seems as though Colleagues won the morning but Hunters Hill won the afternoon and get some revenge after last year's Kentwell Cup GF.

Some surprising results out at Waverley on their Ladies Day - well done to St Pat's on some impressive results.

Drummoyne appear to have recruited well and had a great day against Petersham who, from an outside perspective, seem to be struggling.

Blue Mountains and Forest had a fairly even day across the grades but Blue Mountains taking the spoils in 1s. A good effort from Blueys on the road in Round 1.

Will take a few weeks for things to sort themselves out in Div 1. Seems to be fairly significant turnover of players at most clubs so last year's form may not be the best indicator.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
That Forest II side is Warringah 4th grade colts.
it seems a lot of the Shute shield clubs have attracted a lot of colts across the board. I know this was discussed previously but these clubs do appeal. The Rats have a pretty good bar as do Easts for example - colties love that.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Most are running a 4th Colts which are playing in Subbies comps for now with a lot of Subbies Clubs no longer having them. I expect them to start a 4ths Colts comp soon tbh. Don’t know if it’s good or bad. A lot of Subbies Clubs are dying a fast death