• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Very surprised Mosman aren't fielding Colts II - first time in a number of years (I can even recall them having Colts III in 2019 or 2020).

Seems as though Colleagues won the morning but Hunters Hill won the afternoon and get some revenge after last year's Kentwell Cup GF.

Some surprising results out at Waverley on their Ladies Day - well done to St Pat's on some impressive results.

Drummoyne appear to have recruited well and had a great day against Petersham who, from an outside perspective, seem to be struggling.

Blue Mountains and Forest had a fairly even day across the grades but Blue Mountains taking the spoils in 1s. A good effort from Blueys on the road in Round 1.

Will take a few weeks for things to sort themselves out in Div 1. Seems to be fairly significant turnover of players at most clubs so last year's form may not be the best indicator.
Petersham will go down in 2024. I understand giving them another go this season but unless there's a real circuit breaker things will get worse before they get better and a year or two rebuilding in D2 wouldn't be the worst thing for them.

Massive turnover and as alluded to by multiple posters the June-August run will bring more still. Wouldn't surprise for multiple premierships to be won from outside the top 2.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tough day at merrylands with a lack of numbers available on the day.

Started short (and late!) in 2s but held pretty well for most of the game. Once a couple of injuries occurred and some first grade starters went off, the flood gates opened. Proud of the boys.

First grade was pretty much all about our mistakes. When we held the ball we looked alright and started to get dominance at the scrum. Some talent at holroyd this year tho.

Next week will be an entirely different style of game against Chatswood on the field of dreams. It'll be fresh from a 3 week rest after overs sowing, so should be a dream!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great day out at Boronia and plenty of good rugby between the two grounds. Split the results with Colleagues with 1's getting a great win in an even game. Unsure of the Red card at the end of the 1st half to their 13, however we will take it. Plenty of good rugby to come
Other results went as expected apart from St Pats - Look very strong in 1's. Look to be a threat for the title this year.

Was out at boronia #2 today, Old Soldiers putting on a clinic against Epping. Witnessed one of the great tries during the 1st grade game, off the kick off and going 50. Another mention was the bloke with the pink headgear, bold move but has a great goosey
Was this the man off the kick off? Looked quick for a big man but going back to watch it on Cluch - He caught it with no one in from of him? Considering some of the tries on display up on #1 on Saturday - I wouldn't call it one of the great tries.
Very Surprised to see the scoreline though - game seemed a good contest whenever I looked over.

Oldsoldier

Stan Wickham (3)
Great day out at Boronia and plenty of good rugby between the two grounds. Split the results with Colleagues with 1's getting a great win in an even game. Unsure of the Red card at the end of the 1st half to their 13, however we will take it. Plenty of good rugby to come
Other results went as expected apart from St Pats - Look very strong in 1's. Look to be a threat for the title this year.

Was this the man off the kick off? Looked quick for a big man but going back to watch it on Cluch - He caught it with no one in from of him? Considering some of the tries on display up on #1 on Saturday - I wouldn't call it one of the great tries.
Very Surprised to see the scoreline though - game seemed a good contest whenever I looked over.
Ah yes not a hunters hill try so must have been subpar.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)

I was watching this on Cluch, appeared to be a Red Card for a legit push. Any more info on that?

Thought he must have abused the ref or something as rewinded a few times and didn't even look like a penalty.

Agree, even match and from the scores a very even day all round.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ah yes not a hunters hill try so must have been subpar.
Colleagues scored numerous great tries on Saturday. If we are calling that 'One of the great tries' then there will be a 100 by the end of the year.

Looking forward to playing Lindfield next year though based off the numbers I saw as well as a few successful Ladies teams. You guys have only dropped one grade out of 10 so far this year? Good to see!
I was watching this on Cluch, appeared to be a Red Card for a legit push. Any more info on that?

Thought he must have abused the ref or something as rewinded a few times and didn't even look like a penalty.

Agree, even match and from the scores a very even day all round.
Yep - Chatter around the ground was the the referee had seen an errant elbow during the push.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Must have been confusing.

Hunters Hill scorecard has "illegal tackling"

Colleagues scorecard has " intentionally or repeatedly offending"

:)
My view was Colleagues were scoring a try - our man came across to try prevent the try. Everything completely legal but he did land on top of the Colleagues player. The 13 wasnt happy so came in and gave him a shove. Referee and Linesman were all within 2 metres of the incident so have to take their version of events
Around the 40 min mark on Cluch if you are interested

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 3 Round 2 Wrap

The Winners

Beecroft
- Colts side ripped through BOBS with the backline showing they have strike all around the park and the ability to score points quickly. Seconds had a disappointing loss but showed they can score points quickly with three try's in the last 10 minutes. Before this game I would have thought the result would've been a big upset but tbh Beecroft looked classier all around the park and look hungry for success this year, this was with quite a few seconds players playing first grade as well.

Knox - Good wins around the park this week away from home and showed consistent numbers from round 1. They'll build on this ahead of some big clashes in the next few rounds.

Sydney Harbour - Did their job against the Sydney Harlequins however are leaking more points than they usually have. Be interesting to see how their next clashes against BOBS and Beecroft shake out.

The Losers

Manly Savers
- Team lists make for grim reading. Looks like a lot of players had to back up to get a second grade team on the park. This won't be sustainable unfortunately. 6 team second grade looming for this division. Coupled with this is two home losses against a side that was poor in round 1. Long year ahead.

Old Barker - Expected better from them in their first hit out. Colts have continued on their poor form with a shocking defensive attitude for some of Beecroft's try's. 1sts also looked to have regressed from last year, considering they dusted Beecroft at home last year. Not all negative, their 2nds look like a good side with plenty of big bodies. They'll be a contender this year in that grade.

Sydney Harlequins - Two losses in 1st grade have put them on the back foot but they have versed the two front runners back-to-back to be fair. They'll want to pick up a win against Knox week to get their season into gear. 2nds put Easts to the sword and look back on track.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Most are running a 4th Colts which are playing in Subbies comps for now with a lot of Subbies Clubs no longer having them. I expect them to start a 4ths Colts comp soon tbh. Don’t know if it’s good or bad. A lot of Subbies Clubs are dying a fast death

I'd sadly say rugby is dying. How many did the tahs get on Saturday night? Its care factor zero at Super rugby level.
More alarmingly is mini's rego's are reportedly down 30/40% Sydney wide at junior level.
Looking for the postive I note the 7's girls comp is up and running which could be a huge growth area with 6 teams although I think Hunters Hill may have not been able to cobble together a side. But I am happy to be corrected there if that mail is wrong.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd sadly say rugby is dying.

And it could easily change direction if it really wanted.

Looking for the postive I note the 7's girls comp is up and running which could be a huge growth area with 6 teams although I think Hunters Hill may have not been able to cobble together a side. But I am happy to be corrected there if that mail is wrong.

Hunters Hill playing Tens for women's I think?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Anyone have an idea of where Georges River have been born out of? Good to see a new club get up and running but sad if it’s at the demise of another in the area (ie Menai, Oatley etc.)
Sorry if I'm covering something that someone else has answered. but apparently it was a blue over the decision to move grounds. Was surprised when I heard that because their ground is a cracker, but apparently the new one is better.

So one group packed up and left, and some stayed and formed GRR.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
That Forest II side is Warringah 4th grade colts.
This appears to be a good idea on paper and promotes the seamless transition of players from Premier Rugby to Subbies Rugby.

I'm unsure of the finer logistics of it all but the initial concerns that spring to mind:
- are these Warringah 4s Radford Cup players eligible for selection in the Forest Barbour Cup team?
- Are they registered with Warringah or Forest? Who pays the affiliation fee, insurance etc??
- Say for instance there is mass unavailability for Warringah colts one weekend due to a music festival or European getaways, can these Forest 2s/Warringah 4s Radford players be selected up the grades for Warringah colts (of course provided they are u/20)?

Don't get me wrong, kudos to Forest for getting this off the ground it's great for the Radford Cup and the players at Wakehurst/Brothers, Colleagues, Drummoyne & St Pat's looking for a Colts game. The more kids we have playing colts footy at Subbies the brighter suburban rugby's future is.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Div 6 wrap from the weekend
Some big wins from North Cronulla and Burraneer. Both will be looking to go the next step after coming close last year. Time will tell
If Burra misses there NRL superstar this year.

A Clutch conversion after the bell for Balmain to get up over a strong Canterbury side. Looking forward to testing ourselves against them this week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This appears to be a good idea on paper and promotes the seamless transition of players from Premier Rugby to Subbies Rugby.

It isn't really that, unfortunately.

Most of these Colts 4s players will continue to be strung along by premier Rugby to pay their money and become grade players who pay their money and never get off the bench.

I'd say a good percentage will simply quit playing Rugby altogether.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
It isn't really that, unfortunately.

Most of these Colts 4s players will continue to be strung along by premier Rugby to pay their money and become grade players who pay their money and never get off the bench.

I'd say a good percentage will simply quit playing Rugby altogether.

That's a shame, I thought Forest may have struck gold!

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Div 6 wrap from the weekend
Some big wins from North Cronulla and Burraneer. Both will be looking to go the next step after coming close last year. Time will tell
If Burra misses there NRL superstar this year.

A Clutch conversion after the bell for Balmain to get up over a strong Canterbury side. Looking forward to testing ourselves against them this week.
I was at Burra game.

Pretty impressive for a week 1 div 6 hitout.

Defence was rock solid.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

I'm unsure of the finer logistics of it all but the initial concerns that spring to mind:
- are these Warringah 4s Radford Cup players eligible for selection in the Forest Barbour Cup team?
- Are they registered with Warringah or Forest? Who pays the affiliation fee, insurance etc??
- Say for instance there is mass unavailability for Warringah colts one weekend due to a music festival or European getaways, can these Forest 2s/Warringah 4s Radford players be selected up the grades for Warringah colts (of course provided they are u/20)?

Don't get me wrong, kudos to Forest for getting this off the ground it's great for the Radford Cup and the players at Wakehurst/Brothers, Colleagues, Drummoyne & St Pat's looking for a Colts game. The more kids we have playing colts footy at Subbies the brighter suburban rugby's future is.

My read is that the Rats were expecting to get a 4th grade colts comp away with the few other Shute Shield clubs that could field one but were a little blindsided when Easts, Manly and Gordon committed their teams to subbies comps to ensure regular game day action. Undertandably rather than see their players drift away they then committed to become the 'Forest Rats' in Radford Cup.

Let it sing

Stan Wickham (3)
My read is that the Rats were expecting to get a 4th grade colts comp away with the few other Shute Shield clubs that could field one but were a little blindsided when Easts, Manly and Gordon committed their teams to subbies comps to ensure regular game day action. Undertandably rather than see their players drift away they then committed to become the 'Forest Rats' in Radford Cup.
In a scenario where there is not much upside it gives those clubs an opportunity to show them what makes those Subbies clubs tick.
If done well then you would think majority would want to stay when lured back to the original SS club.

The SS clubs that have been granted entry should not be eligible to play finals. Perfect example what happened to Newport last year in Colts where they lost their semi final to Easts