• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super 15 Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maroon Army

The Vodacom Cup and the Curry Cup are two separate competitions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Pampas in the Vodacom Cup is arguably one of the best things for the Pumas and the SA rugby should be applauded for providing them with the opportunity.

I like the idea but the question is then where are they based. Argentina would provide a huge logistic task but would help develop rugby within the country. There would have to a sizable chunk of change for travel costs.

If they are based in SA. Then what happens to the conferences (an 8*2, a 4 * 4 comp, back to the single table, other). I couldn't see possum head giving up the free national comp in Aus that you get to run under the Super 15. While I sure that neither SA or NZ want to give up the Currie Cup or NPC (yes use old names) under a major expanded comp. Some nasty questions would then have to be addressed.

One thing from this I learnt from this was

If next year you get to play against everyone then its a hell of a lot better.
They should play in the Aus conferense and stay in Aus. Easier to poach their players. Kings will go into the SA conferense and NZ should get another team in their conferense.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Argentinean team based in Australia wouldn't be self sustaining. Would need pretty much total IRB and UAR support.

I'd rather see a combined islander team based on the gold coast or in western sydney. All players in the team must be eligible for a pacific island country. Its a win-win as it would act as a development team for blokes with dual eligibilty, as well as providing the island nations with a group of SH based professionals.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Argentinean team based in Australia wouldn't be self sustaining. Would need pretty much total IRB and UAR support.
Well thats what we do for them in the Vodacom Cup. This squad is their top lot not playing in France. Last year they did not made the play offs, this year they are on their way winning the competition, in fact 2 games away from it. They already lost a few players from last year to the NH clubs. Its vitally important to get them in the SH competition otherwise they'll never survive in the 4 Nations. Aus dont have the player stock to field another team, the right place to accomodate them.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Who says NZ wants another team? We've got 5 and we have probably the smallest player base.....where would they be based?? Sorry, but NZ doesn't need another Super team...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Who says NZ wants another team? We've got 5 and we have probably the smallest player base.....where would they be based?? Sorry, but NZ doesn't need another Super team...

OK so the Argies can have two then. PI team in NZ wont work, the franchises may lost their best players to the 6th team.

M

Maroon Army

How could it possibly work puting one Argentinian team in the Australian conference and one in the New Zealand conference?

It's too much of stretch.

M

Maroon Army

Shoudn't the conferences have the same amount of teams?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the argies should just start their own comp. The travel requirements make it a bit of stretch for them to be included in the current system.

NZRU probably cant afford another team. We dont have the players or the money. Its just the South Africans, and I would go as far to suggest that they improve the teams they have before looking to add another.

Have the Kings/spears actually been confirmed yet?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Smallest player base??? I'm pretty sure you guys outnumber us 3:1 or something

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Keep in mind that we have a shorter season this year due to RWC. Next year you'll play each team once, with conference teams playing twice.

I'm just glad that teams play all other teams from next season. Bye's shouldn't be awarded 4 points, but other than that I am happy with the format.

I don't believe this is the case at all. Still don't play one team from each foreign conference. There will also be a 3 week gap/window mid-season to cater for inbound tests.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Now that will be interesting. Is it the first time a Super season has been interrupted for Test matches? The boots on the other foot now.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I think the argies should just start their own comp. The travel requirements make it a bit of stretch for them to be included in the current system.

NZRU probably cant afford another team. We dont have the players or the money. Its just the South Africans, and I would go as far to suggest that they improve the teams they have before looking to add another.

Have the Kings/spears actually been confirmed yet?
First off you have to understand that SA rugby is driven by provincial contracts. Meaning not all our top or best players play SupeRugby.

Ja the Kings are going stronger by the day. They have a game against all the NH SA players coming up in June.

They have their own website

http://www.epkings.co.za/

M

Maroon Army

"Meaning not all our top or best players play SupeRugby"

???

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
"Meaning not all our top or best players play SupeRugby"

???
Our S15 squads is contracted by their CC province, no draft system like NZ meaning players like in the Kings
Jaco Engels, Rory Duncan, Barend Pieterse and a midfielder like Tim Whitehead dont play S15 rugby. Whitehead plays in WP / Stormers territory who have midfield depth as an example and will make most SA franchises. The same goes for the Brutes locking stock. Jeandre Kruger should make most SA franchise but play Vodacom because the Brutes have depth in their lock department.

M

Maroon Army

Our S15 squads is contracted by their CC province, no draft system like NZ meaning players like in the Kings
Jaco Engels, Rory Duncan, Barend Pieterse and a midfielder like Tim Whitehead dont play S15 rugby. Whitehead plays in WP / Stormers territory who have midfield depth as an example and will make most SA franchises. The same goes for the Brutes locking stock. Jeandre Kruger should make most SA franchise but play Vodacom because the Brutes have depth in their lock department.

I don't mean to be rude but that seems to be a South African Rugby problem and I don't see the need of having 6 South African Super sides because of CC contracting issues...

Wouldn't the sensible way of going about it be to have a 1 in 1 out policy, instead of adding another team to accommodate?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't mean to be rude but that seems to be a South African Rugby problem and I don't see the need of having 6 South African Super sides because of CC contracting issues...

Wouldn't the sensible way of going about it be to have a 1 in 1 out policy, instead of adding another team to accommodate?

To be honest myself would like to have a S10 like in the old days. Thats not going to happen and Saru agreed with this new format only if the Kings will be added in 2013. No way the Lions or Tin Ears will be handing back their S100 franchise. If that happen they can close their doors.

T

TOCC

SARU have agree upon inclusion of the Kings, SANZAR has no formal plan in place for this though, there is no such agreement... Promotion/relegation maybe within South African conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.