• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2013, the run home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chiefs are now in the top two..........

Brumbies now need a BP win and the Bulls to lose without any points to overtake them for second spot.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So next week is pretty much locked in...........

Brumbies v Cheetahs

Crusaders v Reds

Now we just need to find out what order the top 2 will be..........

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
By my calcs if the Bulls get up the Brumbies or Reds only go to SA for the final. Must be favourable to do so than go there and back. I'd say it's wide open and would only right off the Cheetahs hopes but the Aus sides lost a lot of momentum.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Stormers deal to Bulls, 30-13, so Chiefs retain 1st place. Reds on the big silver bird to Crusaders, Cheetahs on the bigger silver bird to face the Brumbies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Stormers deal to Bulls, 30-13, so Chiefs retain 1st place. Reds on the big silver bird to Crusaders, Cheetahs on the bigger silver bird to face the Brumbies.

So after next weekend, it starts to get complicated:
A) If the Brumbies win, then they have to play the second place-getter, the Bulls, in South Africa
B) If the Cheetahs win, they have to play the Chiefs ( and the Brumbies go bye-bye)
In the other game,
C) If the Crusaders win and the Brumbies have won, then they will play the Chiefs. Otherwise if the Cheetahs win the other game, then the Crusaders would have to go to South Africa to play the Bulls (not hard to imagine whom they'd like to win the other game)
D) If the Reds win against the Crusaders, then as with option C above in lieu of the Crusaders, playing either the Chiefs in NZ or the Bulls in South Africa.
So for the Cheetahs to win the S15, they have to, on consecutive weeks, go to Canberra, then to New Zealand, then to back to South Africa or to Queensland.
Poor buggers!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not writing off the Brumbies yet, they should have beaten the Bulls at Loftus last year. Will still be the hardest game of the season for them though.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
So for the Cheetahs to win the S15, they have to, on consecutive weeks, go to Canberra, then to New Zealand, then to back to South Africa or to Queensland.
Poor buggers!

an interesting albeit unlikely scenario is for the reds to play the cheetah for the super rugby title in brisbane where the reds would have to return all the way from pretoria whereas the cheetahs would only have to cross the ditch.

advantage cheetahs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
an interesting albeit unlikely scenario is for the reds to play the cheetah for the super rugby title in brisbane where the reds would have to return all the way from pretoria whereas the cheetahs would only have to cross the ditch.

advantage cheetahs.
Glad to see you support Vrystaat. ;)

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
Glad to see you support Vrystaat. ;)

haha goeie more oom, been a while. hope you're well and i'm sure you're still smiling after the stormers bulls game.
i've always liked the cheetahs and consider them my south african team. it's easy to like the underdog who throws the ball around a bit. i'd be very happy to see them lose the grand final to the reds.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not such a tin foil hat theory to have the Cheetahs make the Grand final.

They have performed very well on tour this year.

My favourite smokie team this year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.superxv.com/about/
Extract from Super Rugby Rules

3.6 Super Rugby Finals Series

3.6.1 The Super Rugby Finals Series will be played over three weeks and involve six matches in the following format:

Super Rugby Qualifiers (Week One)

Match A – Rank 4 v Rank 5
Match B – Rank 3 v Rank 6

Super Rugby Semi-Finals (Week Two)

Match C – Rank 2 v Winner of matches A or B with highest finals ranking
Match D – Rank 1 v Other winner from matches A or B

Super Rugby Finals (Week Three)

Match E – Winner of matches C or D with highest finals ranking v other winner from matches C or D

Finals Rankings were:
1. Chiefs
2. Bulls
3. Brumbies
4. Crusaders

Options for Match E (Grand Final)
Chiefs win, Bulls Win - Final in Hamilton
Chiefs Win, Brumbies Win - Final in Hamilton
Crusader Win, Bulls Win - Final in Pretoria
Crusader Win, Brumbies Win - Final in Canberra

If the Chiefs win Match D, would they move the final to Eden Park to maximise crowd attendance (and revenue)?
It is only an hour or two up the road.

3.6.1 The Super Rugby Finals Series will be played over three weeks and involve six matches....

Stuffed if I know how they play six matches. When I went to school A to E counted for five not six.
I will concede that the finals series involves six teams playing a five match finals series.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
http://www.superxv.com/about/
Extract from Super Rugby Rules

3.6 Super Rugby Finals Series

3.6.1 The Super Rugby Finals Series will be played over three weeks and involve six matches..

Stuffed if I know how they play six matches. When I went to school A to E counted for five not six.
I will concede that the finals series involves six teams playing a five match finals series.

6 teams means 5 losers to sort out the winner - therefore only 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.