• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, I'm not sure what the current rules are but in the past you had to play a minimum of four games in the regular season to be eligible for the finals if you weren't contracted to the original squad...

zer0

John Thornett (49)
"The Blues are poised to make a controversial move to bring All Blacks star Beauden Barrett into their squad for the rest of the 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season."

Thought you had to be on the books by 31 March or thereabouts?

I'd prefer he'd fuck off back to Taranaki to go molest a cow, or whatever it is that passes for recreational pursuits down there.

But, if we do have to suffer more of this wounder, at least Cotter wouldn't (presumably) stand for his shuffle-in-demand-to-play-10-lazily-kick-the-ball-away-or-shovel-it-sideways-because-getting-tackled-is-scary bullshit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pone has been contracted with the Rebels all year...
Sorry who was lent to the Tahs? I can see Blues maybe being able to use BB last couple of games but not finals? Not sure but as we have seen quite a few players have come under ciontract after the original date for injury cover, so not sure how it works.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also saw something I though was a good idea discussed on tv show last night with a suggestion of something like a ranfurly shield being played for in Super. I actually think it would be great. Say the Force/Clan/Reds knocked over the holders at their home ground so their next home game became a defence of shield, the extra interest in game for both home and visiting crowd.
I know we in NZ get real excited about Ranfurly shield games and even in secondary schools we have Moascar cup, played under same system, where the cup is played for in any of the holder's home games, sees that cup actually moving all over country to teams that never play some others that have held it.
Was very much a relaxed discussion, and some name suggestions were thrown around jokingly. If it became a thing I wouldn't agree that it should be named after a player etc (as thei kind of gives it more meaning to one country?). I genuinely think something like the Pacific Shield would be great and add a lot to the comp.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry who was lent to the Tahs? I can see Blues maybe being able to use BB last couple of games but not finals? Not sure but as we have seen quite a few players have come under ciontract after the original date for injury cover, so not sure how it works.

That was Pone…

He’s been contracted with the Rebels all year… loaned for one game.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I know we in NZ get real excited about Ranfurly shield games
You don't say!!

white-nose.gif

Honestly, I'm with you, anything new to try something different.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Assuming Crusaders started the year with it (?), I think it's gone Crusader, Tahs, Highlanders, Brumbies over the first 4 weeks, and since then Brumbies are 10 weeks in to their defense.
Yep and imagine the extra spice in games trying to beat Brumbies at home etc? Would also make teams a bit iffy about resting players in home matches against lesser teams etc, as you want to hang on to it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good point

I think that means a fairly boring Crusaders -> Hurricanes chain then.
Well it was a home game for Crusaders. But regardless, I think in a general year there may only be say 1-3 changes anyway, that doen't stop the whole idea working really well. If it is too easy to win it loses it's lustre I reckon.