• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Super Rugby launch today, the captains of all 12 teams gathered in Auckland's most picturesque car park for photos:
1707859169667.jpeg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I should have added some qualifiers
Dropping the ball in rugby doesn't necessarily put the opposition chasers onside, if you have "possession"

And possession is defined as attempting to maintain control of the ball (eg bobbling it)

I've had senior refs clarify this, but absolutely agree refs in game may not rule this way. It's a pretty edge case

Also, simplify your laws WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby)!

So the situation I'm talking about is the right hand picture in the series I posted.

There's been a long kick that the fullback tries to catch running backwards but he doesn't catch it cleanly and it goes back towards his own try line. It is not a knock on.

In that situation the player has deliberately touched the ball without gaining possession of it. Based on the laws my take is that everyone from the kicking team is now onside. Clearly if the player had caught the ball cleanly the kicking team players wouldn't be onside unless they'd been put onside by the kicker etc. running past them.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Jokes about the launch aside, the new add is pretty cool (line out part was a bit anti climactic though):

Love them leaning into the Pacific nature of the competition, it feels like they're finally starting to develop some sort of identity for it.
fuck yeah, first good ad I've seen in yonks. Completely agree on the pacific bit, it's unique and should be championed. I dig it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would love to see the marketing clown's proposal to fly players all in for a shitty photo, I have always been a fan a fantasy novels
I'm all for the proper season launch with them all in one city and the waterfront is the right spot given the branding, it just seem insane to have chosen that specific framing of it. Put them all on a boat or out on a pontoon that looks a bit less like a parking lot.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The official shots are slightly better with the bridge in the background and them all looking mostly the same way, but it still just has a bit of a parking lot by the boat ramp vibe to it.
1707871948013.jpeg

WoodysRFC

Frank Row (1)
People, we are organising a fantasy comp as per below, need a few more enthusiastic participants. Disclaimer: it costs money for entertainment these days, the princely sum of 12.95NZP:

https://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/c...sy-rugby-draft-2024.19370/page-5#post-1379641
I'd be keen

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
So the situation I'm talking about is the right hand picture in the series I posted.

There's been a long kick that the fullback tries to catch running backwards but he doesn't catch it cleanly and it goes back towards his own try line. It is not a knock on.

In that situation the player has deliberately touched the ball without gaining possession of it. Based on the laws my take is that everyone from the kicking team is now onside. Clearly if the player had caught the ball cleanly the kicking team players wouldn't be onside unless they'd been put onside by the kicker etc. running past them.
I think it depends how far away the ball goes when it's dropped, and even how it's dropped. If they tap it back, or the ball travels 5m away, they are clearly put onside

Somewhere between the ball going 5m back and dropping it backwards at your feet, they would be put onside - and it will depend on whether the ref thinks they have possession, or even had possession for a millisecond or not.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would love to see the marketing clown's proposal to fly players all in for a shitty photo, I have always been a fan a fantasy novels
It wasn't just for a photo though, like most comps before season starts they have a get together to talk over expectations etc. There were also memebers of boards there too.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Alrighty, nearly kick off for the season. I'm going to put in my predictions for the final ladder:

1. Crusaders - bleak but they'll win again with Levi Aumua literally murdering people in the midfield, not too much change to the roster
2. Hurricanes - Lost Ardie Savea? bummer dude but still got cattle
3. Chiefs - lost too many players to challenge top 2
4. Blues
5. Rebels - backs against the wall, best and final season. If Carter goes down we boned.
6. Highlanders
7. Reds - Got the Kiss of life
8. Drua - Get into the finals by never losing a home match, lose game immediately away from home in finals
9. Brumbies
10. 'Tahs Finish off strong but losing streak of 6 games at the start of the season too much to overcome
11. Force - White & Donaldson to form most boring pairing in Australia, questions form why they renewed coach early
12. Moana - lost their one good player to the Crusaders

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Unfortunately doubt my optimism, assuming off the ground shit is too toxic for the Rebels and they'll be lucky to finish the season let alone win more than 3 games.