• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU 2021

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The new year is with us and the teams are all probably back into hard work. Time to air our opinions and make predictions about the season to come.

Starting with the newest side, the Western Force, they're putting together an impressive roster with the help of Argentinean players and they have a solid coaching team. If they click then a shot at the final won't be beyond them. Influential players include Cubelli, Kuridrani, Kearney, Lezanz, Robertson, Stander, Thrush and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner). Will be interesting to see how McIntyre shapes up.

My thoughts are that the Force will struggle at least through the early rounds and while they'll be competitive and win a few, they will finish 5th in the upcoming season.

The Rebels are my pick to finish 4th. Again, they have a good squad but look to be comparatively inexperienced in the forwards, especially the front row. Influential players include To'omua, DHP, Naisarani, Hosea, Powell, Uelese and Koroibete. Players to keep an eye on are Gordon, Wilkin, Skelton, Kemeny and Holland. A few might have their eyes on the Olympics though and may not be available for all games.

I think the Tahs might be the surprise packet in the Aussie competition. An extra year's experience for players like Harrison, Harris, Walton, Bell et al, and more experience in the coaching arena indicates a strong year if they keep up their attacking mindset. Influential players include Dempsey, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gordon, Ramm, Maddocks and Swinton. Big question about how they'll cope without Hooper on sabbatical. Tizzano will need to fulfil his promise and then more to step into Hooper's boots. My thoughts are that the Tahs will finish 3rd this year.

That leaves the Reds and the incomparable Brumbies to again fight out the final in 2021.

The Reds are saturated with promising talent and have potential champions across the field. Expect players like Wilson, McReight, Tate, Paisami and Petaia to continue to improve and really stand out this season. Tupou, Wright, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and JOC (James O'Connor) will again be top performers. With very little change to last year's starting XV, the Reds can expect to be among the top sides in both SRAu and the TT.

The Brumbies are in very much the same position as the Reds. Only a couple of changes to last year's starting XV, at No 7, No 9 and No 13. Again, players like Lolesio, Keunzle, Simone, Pasitoa, Wright and Swain should continue to improve on last year's performances. With the remainder of the team including many Wallabies, the Brumbies will be looking to repeat their 2020 SRAu win and to be competitive in the TT competition.

Hopefully, we get a full and uunbroken year of top class rugby in 2021.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The new year is with us and the teams are all probably back into hard work. Time to air our opinions and make predictions about the season to come.

Starting with the newest side, the Western Force, they're putting together an impressive roster with the help of Argentinean players and they have a solid coaching team. If they click then a shot at the final won't be beyond them. Influential players include Cubelli, Kuridrani, Kearney, Lezanz, Robertson, Stander, Thrush and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner). Will be interesting to see how McIntyre shapes up.

My thoughts are that the Force will struggle at least through the early rounds and while they'll be competitive and win a few, they will finish 5th in the upcoming season.

The Rebels are my pick to finish 4th. Again, they have a good squad but look to be comparatively inexperienced in the forwards, especially the front row. Influential players include To'omua, DHP, Naisarani, Hosea, Powell, Uelese and Koroibete. Players to keep an eye on are Gordon, Wilkin, Skelton, Kemeny and Holland. A few might have their eyes on the Olympics though and may not be available for all games.

I think the Tahs might be the surprise packet in the Aussie competition. An extra year's experience for players like Harrison, Harris, Walton, Bell et al, and more experience in the coaching arena indicates a strong year if they keep up their attacking mindset. Influential players include Dempsey, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Gordon, Ramm, Maddocks and Swinton. Big question about how they'll cope without Hooper on sabbatical. Tizzano will need to fulfil his promise and then more to step into Hooper's boots. My thoughts are that the Tahs will finish 3rd this year.

That leaves the Reds and the incomparable Brumbies to again fight out the final in 2021.

The Reds are saturated with promising talent and have potential champions across the field. Expect players like Wilson, McReight, Tate, Paisami and Petaia to continue to improve and really stand out this season. Tupou, Wright, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and JOC (James O'Connor) will again be top performers. With very little change to last year's starting XV, the Reds can expect to be among the top sides in both SRAu and the TT.

The Brumbies are in very much the same position as the Reds. Only a couple of changes to last year's starting XV, at No 7, No 9 and No 13. Again, players like Lolesio, Keunzle, Simone, Pasitoa, Wright and Swain should continue to improve on last year's performances. With the remainder of the team including many Wallabies, the Brumbies will be looking to repeat their 2020 SRAu win and to be competitive in the TT competition.

Nice summary. I think the Reds and Brumbies will again fight out the final. Force will be more competitive with quality of roster but will take time for new combinations to gell an reckon 3rd place.

For me it is Rebels and Waratahs fighting out for 4th and 5th with both lacking depth after lot of departures in key positions. I think personally Tahs will struggle with too much unknowns...ie Can we cover Hooper with Gamble or Tizzano, Backline got unknowns given Moeroa had only couple of starts and still big unknown and lack of clear super ready quality to cover other wing spot (Ramm got other one locked down)...and of course lot of unknowns with lot of forward turnover and whether got the right locks (although I think we got some ok signings their so little more confident but lack of depth in key positions means I think with injuries Tahs will struggle across the board.

Reds are the ones most keen to look how they go as they threaten to start a dynasty of being a top side...but they need to start delivering on the promise. Brumbies are just the ultimate professional side and will continue to otherwise set the benchmark.

Rebels worry me...just not convinced under Wessels Rebels will ever go anywhere and their Roster is so so after key departures and same issues in lack of depth in key positions.

At least this season will be more competitive amongst all 5 teams now Force strengthened their roster so certainly all sides in with a shot to surprise and considered a chance to be in the final, but head says Tahs and Rebels not realistic chance.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

you may be right, but I would not want to be their first home opponent, I think they will lift and win their first home game.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I think the Tah's forwards are a real worry for them, they were beaten in most games last year & loose 2 guys who have 200 test caps between them.

Brumbies prob the side to beat but I can also see the reds just completely clicking & getting on a roll that only the crusaders can stop come SRTT.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think the Tah's forwards are a real worry for them, they were beaten in most games last year & loose 2 guys who have 200 test caps between them.

Brumbies prob the side to beat but I can also see the reds just completely clicking & getting on a roll that only the crusaders can stop come SRTT.

I agree. If the Reds play to their potential they could beat anybody.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think all the teams have enormous potential and could beat anyone on the day, even the Tahs with Jason Gilmore joining the roster, he is a massive bonus to extracting the potential out of the young players.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...rese-a-one-year-lifeline-20210106-p56s5c.html

The Waratahs have handed former Queensland Reds representative and dumped Brisbane Broncos back Izaia Perese a lifeline by signing the 23-year-old on a one-year deal, with coach Rob Penney saying he deserves another chance.

I will be interested in how Perese goes, he has a lot of talent to use if he is in the right frame of mind and fit.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not wanting to put a dampener on things but COVID might make life hard again for some (most likely the Force, maybe others).

You'd have to say the Rebels and Tahs squads have weakened, the Reds and Brumbies much the same while the Force are likely to be stronger, more cohesive and with more depth. All things going to plan, the Rebels and Force will get home games again.

The Tahs have the backline riches but probably not the pack/depth of pack to provide them with good chances. The Rebels have some great parts that just haven't clicked- this could be their year. Losing Phillip is a shame. Reds look the goods but maybe a bit over reliant on TT. Given how young their squad is, I hope they kick up a gear from last year. That would be beautiful to watch. Brumbies, as always, have depth, talent and cohesion. Reckon they'll take it but hopefully other sides make them work for it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1 Brumbies
2 Reds
3 Force
4 Rebels
5 Waratahs

Complete guess though.

Probably my guess on rankings that was in my head - although reds certainly have the roster and players in form to win the competition...brumbies ahead though as more professional team dynamics...Coin toss on who is first and second out of them though. The Force certainly have the roster to win it but whether time to gell with combinations to make a bridge too far. But equally probably Force also in with a shot for anywhere between 1 and 3.

Rebels and Tahs toin toss for wooden spoon and just can't serious contention for the final. Rebels probably better squad then tahs but Wessels just does not inspire confidence he can create the required team consistent performances. My bet is for this to be Wessels last year. The latter is probably my most confident prediction!

Ps. agree Adam that Gilmore in contrast to Wessells more likely to get more of Tahs players...he was certainly a revelation for improving their defence in the second stanza of super rugby (AU bit).,

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's something that really made Rugby enjoyable last year. Games that meant something week in and week out played at a level that the only derbies can really produce.
Hoping can lift another notch in standards with stronger force side and more quality players they bring to the table and being season 2...

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
the
Not wanting to put a dampener on things but COVID might make life hard again for some (most likely the Force, maybe others).

You'd have to say the Rebels and Tahs squads have weakened, the Reds and Brumbies much the same while the Force are likely to be stronger, more cohesive and with more depth. All things going to plan, the Rebels and Force will get home games again.

The Tahs have the backline riches but probably not the pack/depth of pack to provide them with good chances. The Rebels have some great parts that just haven't clicked- this could be their year. Losing Phillip is a shame. Reds look the goods but maybe a bit over reliant on TT. Given how young their squad is, I hope they kick up a gear from last year. That would be beautiful to watch. Brumbies, as always, have depth, talent and cohesion. Reckon they'll take it but hopefully other sides make them work for it.
way things are going a bubble in WA is not out of the question

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
If the Reds play to their potential they could beat the Crusaders! Even with lock stocks looking a bit thin, they are still the most talented team in Australia.

I also think they'll want to re-do the draw for the Trans-Tasman Comp make it more lock-down / iso friendly. With teams going on two or three game tours or something so they can minimise dead time in isolation unless they decide to just host it all in Australia.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Could be way around it, I have to say TT comp at end is starting to look pretty shakey isn't it? Still we will be happy with what we get.

All the sides will come over here, NZRU love to beat their own chest but at the end of the day they have no money they will want the series to go ahead.

A magic round in townsville in june sounds mighty tempting when its going to be about 14 degrees on the surf coast down here

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If the Reds play to their potential they could beat the Crusaders! Even with lock stocks looking a bit thin, they are still the most talented team in Australia.

I also think they'll want to re-do the draw for the Trans-Tasman Comp make it more lock-down / iso friendly. With teams going on two or three game tours or something so they can minimise dead time in isolation unless they decide to just host it all in Australia.

Agree how much potential there is in Reds, said so last year as well. Let's just hope covid goes away , no point in sending teams anywhere they will have to quarantine, and playing in reduced crowd stadiums. They would have to book in the comp to early for it to work, with MIQ requirements etc now in place in NZ. Fingers crossed it will work out!

Not sure where MS has see NZRU beating their chests about TT comp, but I would imagine they would want it to happen as much as anyone just to keep rugby at front of everyone's minds, as there may or may not be to many Tests this year again.