• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Grand Final - Reds v Brumbies - Saturday 8th May 2021

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Based on the forward passes in the first try, the sealing off at the breakdown and the constant infringements in the red zone. But as is usual these days a lot gets ignored in the goal of “letting the game flow”. But as for the yellow cards, well don’t infringe.
Hard to believe you’re saying the Brumbies got the rub of the green in the rucks, did you watch the second half, Reds were constantly slow to roll killing the Brumbies ruck speed. Of course, as soon as Hansen got over the ball Berry found someone not rolling away fast enough to penalise.

Offsides for getting caught in front of the goal posts when you’re trying to defend your own line are not cynical and should not be carded. Swain was straight through the middle and was fine. Berry clearly bottled it at the end and invented an offside penalty so he didn’t have to end the game with a hold-up.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I'd almost buy any arguments people had that the Brumbies were hard done by, by Berry. But all season long they were the the most penalised side. Then some how under pressure they were saints?

Pahlease.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
That overhead camera at scrum time brutally exposing Thor boring in every time.

It seemed to be both sides of the scrum to me, Thor had a bigger angle but surely both sides were breaking the same law, I may be wrong but surely the angle does not matter? It all evened out as both sides were doing the same thing.

Maybe the boring in is due to a weak bind allowing it to happen?

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
It seemed to be both sides of the scrum to me, Thor had a bigger angle but surely both sides were breaking the same law, I may be wrong but surely the angle does not matter? It all evened out as both sides were doing the same thing.

Maybe the boring in is due to a weak bind allowing it to happen?

He did not bore in every single time. He did bore in occasionally and got caught at crucial times. The cameras also showed him packing straight and dominating Sio. Sio was weak for mine and it was noticeable that the scrums were more even after he went off.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course, as soon as Hansen got over the ball Berry found someone not rolling away fast enough to penalise.

Now, this is one incident I'm going to have to comment on - it was the 73rd minute so it didn't have an effect on the result, but............

I'm watching it on repeat and it's doing my head in - Banks rolled away instantly, and then while standing back in the defensive line is being told to roll away quicker............ bizarre.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He did not bore in every single time. He did bore in occasionally and got caught at crucial times. The cameras also showed him packing straight and dominating Sio. Sio was weak for mine and it was noticeable that the scrums were more even after he went off.

No he didn't bore in. On those occasions he lost his battle with an awesome LHP, Sio. Sio avoids being split and forces Tupou in. Often Sio ends up at a greater angle than Tupou, but it is a simple win in the prop battle. Mostly Tupou was on top in that battle but he lost the calls when he wasn't.

They are both going to be great wearing gold.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Loved the game and loved the season.

I am looking forward to the trans Tasman season that is about to begin, but fail to see how anyone could fail to appreciate what a f'ing good competition we just witnessed.

We had good coverage of the game we love, close matches, prime time FTA grand final and a competition where every result had a direct effect on the finalists.

This was a great end to the season and it is great that Rugby finally gets on FTA and we have a win after full time with a huge crowd.

I for one wouldn't change a thing, Super Rugby Au then TT works for me.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geez so much winge.

Good work Reds. Brumbies played great but the loss of Muirhead stuffed their attack a bit.

Blows my mind why the Reds didn’t just go for scrum after scrum at the death, but I guess AAA is wallaby prop and Zander is club rugby standard sometimes. Didn’t want to leave it up to a weirdly reffed scrum call. Or TT to get pinged for boaring in (when really he’s just mincing them).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gee - that was a cracking game in front of the best crowd in Australian rugby for about 10 yrs and all some people can talk about was the ref.I get that its always easier to be gracious when you win, but some of you guys are just really poor fucking losers. And don’t give me the ‘I’m a neutral’ shit either. Read the other comments. Apparently both teams got the rub of the green. How the fuck does that work????

There were clearly some iffy calls both ways. You play the ref. That’s it.

Cracking end to a great Super AU season. Reds win made all the better because they had to work so hard for it against a quality team.

Really looking forward to both these teams getting a crack at the kiwis from next weekend.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I’ll comment more when I watch the replay, but live it was awesome - the place was absolutely heaving in that last period! Just wanted to echo others and say how good Super Rugby Au is. It’s starting to really tap into some vicious, passionate provincial clashes. We’re on to something here. Thanks for a ripping clash Brumbies, and well done my Reds!

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Gee - that was a cracking game in front of the best crowd in Australian rugby for about 10 yrs and all some people can talk about was the ref.I get that its always easier to be gracious when you win, but some of you guys are just really poor fucking losers. And don’t give me the ‘I’m a neutral’ shit either. Read the other comments. Apparently both teams got the rub of the green. How the fuck does that work????

There were clearly some iffy calls both ways. You play the ref. That’s it.

Cracking end to a great Super AU season. Reds win made all the better because they had to work so hard for it against a quality team.

Really looking forward to both these teams getting a crack at the kiwis from next weekend.

Spot on. The ref may have made errors but no one in my house (and there were a lot watching) felt the ref determined the outcome.

The only question mark for mine was that the Kiwi final appeared to be a much higher quality game from an attacking perspective. The offloading game was at times amazing. However you never know how those teams will go against the defensive patterns of the Brumbies or Reds.

Reactions: TSR

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Has anyone seen brumby runner??

Last time I saw him he was muttering something about someone named Berry, loading a shotgun and he was driving to Queensland.
Come on now, poor guy isn’t actually commenting and he’s still getting berated. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

Lol @ the same Reds supporters acting all high and mighty when they were all having a sook at halftime after being comprehensively outplayed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stowers fudging up the lineout with a minute to go, and then getting yellow carded for offside not long afterwards........... not the best grand final debut.