• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 2 - Reds vs Rebels

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reds team I’d like to see
1. Hoopert 2. BPA 3. Tupou 4. Salakai-Loto 5. Blyth 6. Wright 7. McReight 8. Wilson 9. McDermott 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Daugunu 12. Stewart 13. Paisami 14. CFS 15. Campbell 16. Mafi 17. Smith 18. Nasser 19. Tualami 20. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 21. Malolua 22. Hegarty 23. Flook

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Christ on a bike this game better be good, I've had to flee Victoria to get to this match. Managed to drag my sorry ass across the border with 2 hours to spare before it closed. Now holed up in a Motel in Eden like some leper.

Anyway, the game. Should be a mess of a fuck knows what. A game with very talented players constantly let down by their coaches. Reds line out will be in trouble, Rebels scrum will be spanked. To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) will stifle all attack.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Christ on a bike this game better be good, I've had to flee Victoria to get to this match. Managed to drag my sorry ass across the border with 2 hours to spare before it closed. Now holed up in a Motel in Eden like some leper.

Anyway, the game. Should be a mess of a fuck knows what. A game with very talented players constantly let down by their coaches. Reds line out will be in trouble, Rebels scrum will be spanked. To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) will stifle all attack.

How does that work with you getting home after?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Some discussion in parts of the Reds fans of swapping JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart. It is a curious question but I don't think either is really a 10 - though the role is morphing into more contact, same busting through holes and kick pass, less game play with that role shared with 12/15.

Both Stewart and JOC (James O'Connor) fit that morphed 10 role. For me, Stewart is good enough to be potential international quality but has run close to the Hodge problem - jack of all trades. Stewart has time on his side and future development is something that the Reds should be behind. I don't think he has a chance internationally at 10, he may do at 12. So keep him there.

Stewart is another curiosity that has surprised many of us on his "Lazarus with a triple bypass". He continues to develop his work at 10 and will make the WBs not on his ability at 10 but 10/12 and generally in the backs.

Both options are workable - they way it sits is best.

We also need to see Jock back at 15. I don't mind Heggarty at all, but Jock could be something special.

Hopefully the Reds are starting to smooth out the line out problems. Also hope that Thorn is changing the kick-down to keep Toumua out of it. We ask for too much trouble with the way it worked in round 1.

Generally very happy with how the Reds players are settling, game-wise we just need to build that killer instinct.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How does that work with you getting home after?

Well there's not much to return to in Melbourne at the moment. I've got a work laptop with me so can WFH pretty much where ever. So, think I'll enjoy your nice city and wait out the Vic lockdown with family in Sydney.

Also, Victorians can return cross the border back into Vic whenever.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Some discussion in parts of the Reds fans of swapping JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart. It is a curious question but I don't think either is really a 10 - though the role is morphing into more contact, same busting through holes and kick pass, less game play with that role shared with 12/15.

Both Stewart and JOC (James O'Connor) fit that morphed 10 role. For me, Stewart is good enough to be potential international quality but has run close to the Hodge problem - jack of all trades. Stewart has time on his side and future development is something that the Reds should be behind. I don't think he has a chance internationally at 10, he may do at 12. So keep him there.

Stewart is another curiosity that has surprised many of us on his "Lazarus with a triple bypass". He continues to develop his work at 10 and will make the WBs not on his ability at 10 but 10/12 and generally in the backs.

Both options are workable - they way it sits is best.

We also need to see Jock back at 15. I don't mind Heggarty at all, but Jock could be something special.

Hopefully the Reds are starting to smooth out the line out problems. Also hope that Thorn is changing the kick-down to keep Toumua out of it. We ask for too much trouble with the way it worked in round 1.

Generally very happy with how the Reds players are settling, game-wise we just need to build that killer instinct.
I think we wait and see what happens this week with JOC (James O'Connor). Out of the 4 flyhalf players over the weekend JOC (James O'Connor) comfortably got the 4th rating. I would still go Hegarty at 10 as an option and keep Stewart at 12. I like Stewart at 12. Jock moves to fullback. CFS to wing. Is Carter Gordon still injured?
You couldn’t ask for a better back row. And with depth. Locks are a bit skinny but just need to keep LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Blyth injury free. Forwards won the game last week. Confidence is building but we just need to get the backs attacking and creating space.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought JOC (James O'Connor) had been good at 10 pre-COVID. I’m happy to give him a bit more time there before we call it a fail.
Agree. First game back was a bit rusty other than the 2 goal kicks. Lolesio and Harrison were a level above last week in the way of game management. Impressive for young developing 10’s. Expecting to see a more controlled game this week.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Unchanged 23 for the Reds against the Rebels:
1. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Angus Blyth – Bond University
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Liam Wright – Easts ©
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
10. James O’Connor – Brothers
11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
13. Hunter Paisami – Wests
14. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
15. Bryce Hegarty – GPS

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. JP Smith – GPS
18. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
19. Tuaina Taii Tualima – GPS
20. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
21. Scott Malolua – GPS
22. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
23. Josh Flook* – Brothers

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
EccVk1OVAAE3e55

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Big call leaving Hodge out for Magnay. But I've enjoyed Magnay so far and I'll be keen to see what he does with some proper minutes (against his former team, no less). Pretty bloody keen for this one, some great young talent against each other.