• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 5 Brumbies v Reds Saturday 7.15 GIO Stadium

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Winner Winner chicken dinner, no matter we were put under the pump but again found away to win.

You go with what wins. We probably should have scored more at the start, but kick on the buzzer to win. Ill take it.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Brums definitely missing Lolesio. Distribution and organisation lacking. BK goal kicking not at the same level either

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Winner Winner chicken dinner, no matter we were put under the pump but again found away to win.

You go with what wins. We probably should have scored more at the start, but kick on the buzzer to win. Ill take it.

Mate, without the Reds ill discipline your lot would have likely had a big fat 0 on the score board. Offered nothing beyond your albeit excellent maul off the lineout. FUCK ME I HATE THE BRUMBIES!!! So much so I was actively supporting the Reds.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Mate, without the Reds ill discipline your lot would have likely had a big fat 0 on the score board. Offered nothing beyond your albeit excellent maul off the lineout. FUCK ME I HATE THE BRUMBIES!!! So much so I was actively supporting the Reds.
They are quite a detestable team.

I was reading that SMH article about how the game should be improved and at least half the 'experts' said fuck the maul off or change it.

Just a matter of time.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah looked great tonight. Petaia in 60 minutes has convinced me he’s Wallabies 13.

100%, in a year or maybe two, if he's finally gotten through the injury curse and he can string the rest of this season, any internationals, and next years Super Rugby season without breaking again.

I do hope he does, but until he can, you plan around players you're actually likely to have on the field like TK and Paisami.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Imagine my shock that the reserve kid in his second ever start at flyhalf couldn't orchestrate a sparkling attack.

The Reds' defence was one of the features of this match, and it's a credit to them that the Brumbies resorted to the maul three times. Hardly a clash for the ages.

Dreadfully whiney match thread though, pretty unedifying stuff.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
100%, in a year or maybe two, if he's finally gotten through the injury curse and he can string the rest of this season, any internationals, and next years Super Rugby season without breaking again.

I do hope he does, but until he can, you plan around players you're actually likely to have on the field like TK and Paisami.

If your referring to TK as in the TK from the Brumbies then on form he likely shouldn't be selected either. Complete non-entity tonight.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Easy choice - Reds can play rugby.

To be fair there's no one way of playing Rugby. So technically the Brumbies did play Rugby. But certainly not the fun kind like the Reds. What tonight highlighted most of all to me is the value of coaching. Both teams are the best coached teams in the comp followed by the Force. Who with an underpowered squad are proving competitive. May be the ARF should be looking to invest in coaching as much as they are in trying to sign ultra talented youngsters.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Brums definitely missing Lolesio. Distribution and organisation lacking. BK goal kicking not at the same level either

This game has done nothing to disabuse me of the notion that Mack Hansen should have been the first pick when Lolesio went down. At this point though I think they have to persist with Kuenzle for at least another match. Maybe start giving Hansen a few more minutes though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As disappointing as that was, I thought that was a cracking game.

I don’t really see the point of the criticism of the Brumbies. If our Maul worked like that I’d want us to used it. I thought the Reds were unlucky on a couple of calls, but that’s rugby.

I could make some other observations about what the Reds did wrong - but I thought that was a bloody good effort and showed some great signs so I’ll leave the negative observations for another time.

Kudos to Tupou & Zander - terrific effort from them. Zander deserves a lot of credit - 80 minutes and out scrum Ala'alatoa for a guy who wasn’t even in the squad last year. Thorn & Lillicrap deserve credit for what they’ve done with him. Similarly with Blyth he seems to be really coming along.

I thought Samu was exceptional, but as a unit the Reds backrow were better.

O’Connor & Daugunu both very good.

Petaia is something else again.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Look, I'm no great fan of the maul at all, and have said as much multiple times on these boards. Most are essentially a movable obstruction which is pretty much undefendable by any legal means. At least one tonight was a truck and trailer, plain and simple I thought.
But, they remain part of the game. And the Brumbies do them well.
The odd thing I find, in Oz rugby, is complaining about the means by which a team wins, to a point. In most other parts of the rugby world, they'd take the win. Not sure Oz rugby has the luxury to demand style and substance! Obviously, I'd prefer to see Reds 2011, Brumbies early 2000s or Tahs 2014 style, if I had a choice. But fair dues to the Brumbies - they do what they do well, and it works.
I did think there Reds looked bloody good in many parts though.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Easy choice - Reds can play rugby.

I'm sorry Cheika, still sad that the "Australia way" of rugby bullshit had you embarrassed at the world cup?

This attitude is everything that is wrong with Australian Rugby. It's arrogant and stupid, and guess what? like tonight it's for losers.

If the Wallabies were smart enough to implement a maul like Brumbies they would have had MUCH more success. The game wouldn't be a laughing stock in this country. Grow up and understand the game your watching.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As disappointing as that was, I thought that was a cracking game.

I don’t really see the point of the criticism of the Brumbies. If our Maul worked like that I’d want us to used it. I thought the Reds were unlucky on a couple of calls, but that’s rugby.

I could make some other observations about what the Reds did wrong - but I thought that was a bloody good effort and showed some great signs so I’ll leave the negative observations for another time.

Kudos to Tupou & Zander - terrific effort from them. Zander deserves a lot of credit - 80 minutes and out scrum Ala'alatoa for a guy who wasn’t even in the squad last year. Thorn & Lillicrap deserve credit for what they’ve done with him. Similarly with Blyth he seems to be really coming along.

I thought Samu was exceptional, but as a unit the Reds backrow were better.

O’Connor & Daugunu both very good.

Petaia is something else again.

I'm just venting more than anything else.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm sorry Cheika, still sad that the "Australia way" of rugby bullshit had you embarrassed at the world cup?

This attitude is everything that is wrong with Australian Rugby. It's arrogant and stupid, and guess what? like tonight it's for losers.

If the Wallabies were smart enough to implement a maul like Brumbies they would have had MUCH more success. The game wouldn't be a laughing stock in this country. Grow up and understand the game your watching.
Calm down mate - unlike Cheika im going to succesfully run a political campaign to ban the maul.

Obviously the Brumbies can play rugby. Both Samu and Valetini have a good shout at a Wallaby berth. Their young locks also caused all kinds of problems for the Reds lineout, and their scrum generally held up well against the Reds behemoth.

I also thought Powell and Simone outplayed their counterparts.

I have no real intention of growing up.