• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 8 - Brumbies vs Waratahs @ Canberra Stadium - Saturday 22 August @ 7.15pm

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A huge game for both teams. The Brumbies need to get back in the winners circle and confirm their position at the top of the table and likely host of the final. The Waratahs need to keep winning to stay in the hunt for the finals after the Reds won last weekend.

Always a tough ask to travel to Canberra and get a win but hopefully the Tahs can do it! ;)

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Saturday max temp 8°C in Canberra, dropping to -3°C overnight with a decent westerly wind. Dew shouldn't be a problem!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A huge game for both teams. The Brumbies need to get back in the winners circle and confirm their position at the top of the table and likely host of the final. The Waratahs need to keep winning to stay in the hunt for the finals after the Reds won last weekend.

Always a tough ask to travel to Canberra and get a win but hopefully the Tahs can do it! ;)

On present form, the Tahs are favourites to win this one. Their attack has been scintillating in recent games while the Brumbies defense was very ordinary last time out.

The advantage the Brumbies have in regards to the overall ladder is that they have a game in hand. They can afford to lose to the Tahs and still finish on top if they win their last two games. Hoping to see a dramatic improvement in form from their last outing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Do you not think the Tahs recent form is better than the Brumbies, Qwerty? That's what I'm saying. Don't give a stuff about bookies odds.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you not think the Tahs recent form is better than the Brumbies, Qwerty? That's what I'm saying. Don't give a stuff about bookies odds.

They've played two inferior teams to the Brumbies who are coming off a bye and are at home at a venue that is traditionally very hard for the visitors to win at.

The Brumbies are pretty short priced favourites and deservedly so. It will be a substantial upset if the Tahs win.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Brumbies should win by 30 plus, they just need to turn up mentally and play their standard miserable, but highly effective game and maul the Tahs to death.

They should suck all enjoyment and life out of the Tahs play and win at a canter like the dementors they are

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Just a couple of comments and ?
I am just hoping the Ref’s don’t have too much impact.
Who is the ref?
i am also hoping that both teams keep the kicking to a minimum. One of the problems with these new rules is that they can encourage the kick option to be taken as they think of the reward rather than control of the game.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Ref: Angus Gardner
AR1: Graham Cooper
AR2: Reuben Keane
TMO: Ian Smith
Thanks and DAM Gardner has been whistle happy this season. I don’t think he is having a good season this year. Where as last year I thought he was outstanding. Maybe its the new rule interpretations. Hopefully he put the whistle in his pocket this week.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I hope we throw a jumper up at every lineout in our 22. We have the strongest line-out in the comp but not much in the way of maul defense. If we can get Brumbies uncertain around their line-out we gain a major psychological advantage and neuter their best attacking weapon.

I'm curious from the refs/law geeks, what is the current rulings around the maul seeming to almost be formed before the jumper touches the ground. It seems almost as if the ball is handed off before I feel the maul is actually technically formed in some instances or doesn't the jumper need to be brought to ground first? because it seems odd as you're unable to execute a tackle with the player in the air, so surely the maul can't even be said to have formed until the player is on the ground.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm curious from the refs/law geeks, what is the current rulings around the maul seeming to almost be formed before the jumper touches the ground. It seems almost as if the ball is handed off before I feel the maul is actually technically formed in some instances or doesn't the jumper need to be brought to ground first? because it seems odd as you're unable to execute a tackle with the player in the air, so surely the maul can't even be said to have formed until the player is on the ground.
Stop trying to make any sense of them. They defy all logic.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)

The defending team can only legally sack a maul before it forms, which in practical terms, means immediately the moment the jumper hits the ground.
Added to that, the ripper must also act at that moment as well, otherwise it's obstruction
Therefore timing is critical and sometimes attacking teams get a bit ahead of themselves