• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 8 - Brumbies vs Waratahs @ Canberra Stadium - Saturday 22 August @ 7.15pm

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
6C7AE67E-6B4C-443A-8B13-8445F726CEA3.jpeg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

This is a fraction of a second before both players collide, and Newsome still has one foot on the turf.........

Just watched it again - both players committed with eyes on the the ball, with Newsome only leaping in the air maybe half a second before the collision and Douglas having no time to pull out.

Gardner and Ayoub agree that both players had a realistic expectation of getting the ball.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is a fraction of a second before both players collide, and Newsome still has one foot on the turf...

Just watched it again - both players committed with eyes on the the ball, with Newsome only leaping in the air maybe half a second before the collision and Douglas having no time to pull out.

Gardner and Ayoub agree that both players had a realistic expectation of getting the ball.

yep - agree - reckless. Deserving of a penalty at least.

As for holding up Gardner and Ayoub, I wouldn't be holding them up as the soundest of decision makers considering previous decisions in the game the two made

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it’s incredibly tough to mark them down for the offside call. Like they said - there was no clear evidence.

Well, unless you count the line that ran between the two players which the kicker was behind and the try scorer was in front of.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
This is a fraction of a second before both players collide, and Newsome still has one foot on the turf...

Ian Smith was tmo. I’m pretty sure if Waratahs faithful Ayoub had been in the box he would have had a different opinion on a couple of matters.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I watched the game at the pub. Samu was clearly out for his 2nd try too? Ian Smith better be at Centrelink this morning.

Nothing clear about it at all Qwerty. If he was out, and he may have been, it was just his little toe for an instant.

Was difficult to tell in both normal time and in slow motion whether his toe brushed the line or if there was a blade of grass in between.

Counterattack

Frank Row (1)
Harrison is 100 x the player Donaldson is, and always has been. Tahs could do no worse than to replace Harrison now.

On tonight's match, Nic White gave a master class of No 9 play when he came on. Brilliant as Tate was and is, Nic needs to be the Wallaby No 9 for his experience and cool head. Tate to learn from him and come on with 15 to 20 to go.

On what basis do you rate Harrison 100 x better than his backup Donaldson? I don't think The Waratahs would think this. The Mack Mason experiment failed due to never giving him any game time, so I don't think they would do this again by signing a replacement 10 who is 100 times inferior.

I also note the other franchises are giving their back up members starting positions to see what they can do. The Reds have used all three half backs, The Brumbies gave Ryan Lonergan a start plus the Rebels shifted Deegan into 10 and pushed To'omua to 12... If ever there is a season to do this, it is this year, because it is a 4 team comp with The Force hampered by a lack of decent cattle, and no Kiwi sides. Harrison is good but if he is injured how do we know how good Donaldson is?

I agree with your comment about White starting, however McDermott's willingness to constantly look for a quick tap to catch oppositions napping ala Aaron Smith to me is a must skill of a quality halfback. Aussie teams do not often factor this into their game plans.